HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2005, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2004
103 Posts
Home Built Slow Stick Wings

I was thinking of building a new set of wings for my slow stick. I thought I would start this thread to see what kind of home built wings have already been made. Please show off all your wings and include specs and flight performance. I would specifically like to see successful aleron wings of all balsa construction. Any other type of wing for the SS is also welcome.

-Pfitz
Pfitz is offline Find More Posts by Pfitz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:27 AM
Joined Dec 2004
103 Posts
Well I have been thinking about designing two types of wings for my Slow Stick.

1) An aleron wing: About 40" WS, full symetrical, low dihedral, with 2" full strip alerons.

2) A glider style polyhedral around 72" WS.

Both would be all balsa construction. Surely someone has built similar style wings for their Slow Stick. If so I would like to see and here about them.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:06 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,377 Posts
Well, there is a kit replacement wing called the slow-g for SS that makes it into an autogyro: http://www.slow-g.com/
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:29 PM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
Pfitz,
I built a SS replacement wing for my AP SS after my stock wing folded in flight (not recommended), it's smaller than stock, a little over 400 sq. in. and very much stronger. It's conventional built up balsa, not unlike a 2M glider wing. Sorry I couldn't find a picture easily. It flies about the same as stock.
I also have a built up balsa aileron trainer conversion. It has 310 sq. in. and is an ideal trainer. Slow enough for a SS pilot to handle, fast enough to penetrate wind pretty well. I have seen the same thing done with a MM Smoothie wing.
T.B.
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:32 PM
Joined Dec 2004
103 Posts
Great TB!! Thats the type of wing I am considering. Is the cord length on those wings the same as the stock SS wings? Does the aleron wing have good responce. Any plans you can share.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:53 PM
Modeller Dilettante
Vancouver
Joined Sep 2005
422 Posts
T.B that is very cool. If I ever learn enough to start cutting my own parts out of raw balsa, I think I'll try something similar. Ditto on the request for plans.

There is an obvious question here though: at what point does a Slow Stick stop being a Slow Stick?
markusj is offline Find More Posts by markusj
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:28 PM
Flying for the fun of it
Brisbane
Joined Sep 2005
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusj
T.B that is very cool. If I ever learn enough to start cutting my own parts out of raw balsa, I think I'll try something similar. Ditto on the request for plans.

There is an obvious question here though: at what point does a Slow Stick stop being a Slow Stick?
When it can do 3D, goes fast, and the fuse isn't entirely a stick.
beep684 is offline Find More Posts by beep684
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:05 PM
gram obsessive
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
Guys,
Thanks for the kind words. I call it E t. It's no longer a Slow Stick. I shortened the fuselage 3" and cut down the fin and stab, and built a 38" wing with ailerons, mounted on the stock plastic wing mounts.
With a stock motor and 2S lipoly, it has good trainer performance. It'll do all the basic aerobatics. It is very predictable and steady, it is the perfect touch-n-go plane. It flys fast enough to have much better wind penetration than the donor SS.
With the HiMax 2808-980 and 3S lipoly, it has excellent wind penetration and very good vertical, not unlimited, but straight up for a good bit. And all of this at 7000' elevation. I have some plans, just lines, no words. They'd be good enough for an experienced builder. Maybe I'll work on making usable plans to share. It'll take a couple of weeks.
T.B.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 06:36 AM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
T.B., Pfitz

I have a similar plane I built using a replacement wing & tail kit from GWS for the Cub, $10.00, SS aluminum fuse and plastic mount parts for the wings, servos, etc. mine has an E-Flite 400 BL motor, 6.6:1 Cobri gbx, 3S 1200 mah LiPo. I also added ailerons, wings are strengthend by CF rods in the LE along with some light glassing, this thing has hit the ground, trees, etc and no damage, has good slow speed characteristics, can fly around at 1/2 throttle, fly's very well in the wind. A sport wing can be made in the same manner, cove the bottom to eliminate the camber and increase speed and remove all dihedral for improved roll performance.

P.S. it also has lights!

AD
AeroDude is offline Find More Posts by AeroDude
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:30 AM
Joined Dec 2004
103 Posts
Great! Keep them comming. Seeing what you all have done helps me better understand what works and what does'nt.

T.B. I would like to see those line drawings even if they do not have much detail.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:47 AM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,391 Posts
You could also check the Parkfliers and AP forums for more suggestions.

For example: see Steelhead's SS wings (under products).
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:21 AM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Dayton, OH
Joined Sep 2004
1,002 Posts
All,

another source for foam wings is Nasty Toes Aviation

http://nastytoesaviation.easystorecr...age_Name/Wings

AD
AeroDude is offline Find More Posts by AeroDude
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:23 PM
gram obsessive
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
Pfitz,
I'll PM you when I get my plans done in a couple of weeks.
T.B.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 08:39 AM
Joined Dec 2004
103 Posts
Thanks TB. They don't have to be very detailed. Sketches are fine. I can go from there.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 07:12 PM
Orlando, FL
Joined Jul 2004
2,344 Posts
I had very good results with a Wattage Mad Max wing on my SS. Notice that I had to move the elevator and rudder servo tray to the rear because of flex in the control rods. I ended up using carbon fiber rods. It was fun for a while. I then put the wing on a GWS Pico Stick F (full fusalage model) and it fly's better than this modified Slow Stick.
Phillip
Jimmy Hoffa is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Hoffa