HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2001, 07:06 PM
Master Nursery Builder
Canton, GA
Joined Jan 2001
297 Posts
SoSlo2 in action

If anyone's interested, I've put up a video of the SoSlo2 flying around my (and my neighbors') front yard(s). This is the second one I've built and I covered it in some kind of stretchy clear plastic that you can buy for moving. It's seems a lot tougher than the Reynolds wrap.
http://www.mindspring.com/~kingsnak/ezone/soslo2.htm

-O Geoffrey
The_Giver is offline Find More Posts by The_Giver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2001, 07:43 PM
Vestal, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2001
76 Posts
Amazing video... seems real docile in flight!
I'm NEW at flying... How hard is that thing to fly? And I'm sure that you were just "puttering" around... can it easily gain altitude and fly higher?

What about build time? How long to build it, & difficulty? And, did you go with NIMH 9v battery because of weight savings? Have you experimented with other battery packs?

Thanks!

Tazilon
Tazilon is offline Find More Posts by Tazilon
Old Jul 31, 2001, 08:14 PM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Looks real good, Your flying make my plane look good. I did notice it took two tries to get around that tree. If you look real close you can see where the tree moved to get you.
..AZ Chuck
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Jul 31, 2001, 08:34 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,526 Posts
what he did there was only legal there, and in mississippi...

kewl plane. I am assuming that was on the low end of its potential, though...
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Aug 01, 2001, 10:37 AM
Master Nursery Builder
Canton, GA
Joined Jan 2001
297 Posts
Tazilon:
It is very docile. Once you've learned to fly the SoSlo is a piece of cake (I consider myself a begining flyer, it's only my 4th plane). I've said it before, this plane is built to fly,not crash. If you hit something harder than a bush, it's going to shatter.

It easily gains altitude and jumps up higher than the powerlines around my house but then the wind above the trees gets dangerous. Oh yeah, due to it's lightness and undercamber, it handles NO wind. I've gotten it to do a few loops but that's about all I really care to try.

This is the 2nd one I've built so with that experience, I built this one in an evening and a day. (If I had a band saw like Chuck it'd be much quicker).

Very easy to build, just follow the plans.

I went with the 9Volt 'cause it's what I had (and it's cheap... and I've got 3 of em).

I did try to wedge a 270mAH 6 cell pach on my first plane, bt it wouldn't fit and felt really heavy anyway.

Chuck:
Thanks, but I think it's the other way around. That tree is tricky 'cause there is only 2 wingspans worth of space between it and the bushes.

Buddly6:
er... I don't get it.

Yeah, I rarely use full throttle.

-O Geoffrey

[This message has been edited by The_Giver (edited 08-01-2001).]
Old Aug 01, 2001, 04:43 PM
Vestal, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2001
76 Posts
The_Giver:

Ok! I printed the plans for one of these & it doesn't look too tough to build. I'm really new at this. Right now I have a DuskStik about 85% complete, and am hoping to try it this weekend. I heard it flys great! Never flew anything with ailerons though... just rudder & elevator. How do the ailerons work? I mean, what do the sticks on the transmitter do with ailerons? How do you turn, and how do you control up-down? Sorry about the lengthy questions, just need to know I guess. Anyway, I want to build a SloGo2 next.

Thanks!
Tazilon (PS - If anyone can answer my aileron questions it would be really helpful)
(I guess I should have called them elevons?)

[This message has been edited by Tazilon (edited 08-01-2001).]
Tazilon is offline Find More Posts by Tazilon
Old Aug 01, 2001, 04:56 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Awesome airplane and I already downloaded and printed out the plans. Then it hit me, all I have is a Focus III FM transmitter. So my question is...

I know some mixing is required with flying wings using just elevons, will my transmitter do the trick with the mixing switch enabled or do you have to use a computer radio to have a shot controlling flying wings?

All input is welcome and appreciated.
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Aug 01, 2001, 07:43 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Walker:
Awesome airplane and I already downloaded and printed out the plans. Then it hit me, all I have is a Focus III FM transmitter. So my question is...

I know some mixing is required with flying wings using just elevons, will my transmitter do the trick with the mixing switch enabled or do you have to use a computer radio to have a shot controlling flying wings?

All input is welcome and appreciated.
Your radio will work fine for mixing. That is what it is set up for.
I have the ssame radio and it works well.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Aug 02, 2001, 04:19 AM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Great video. Nice flying.

SoSlo2 is absolutely fantastic. If it only was a little more crash proof - hmmm, maybe I should try making one out of depron...

-=Mike=-
Tyson is offline Find More Posts by Tyson
Old Aug 02, 2001, 11:34 AM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
Thanks 1987,

I guess it's full speed ahead for me then....

Flying wing, here I come!
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Aug 03, 2001, 01:54 AM
Happy happy, joy joy!
Portland, Oregon, USA
Joined Jun 2001
623 Posts
O Geoffrey-
I'm curious: how do you manage to land that wonderful little beast? I mean, like without stacking it up? Also, what kinda flight times are you seeing with the RayOVacs?

Nice video, the finger only added to it in my opinion. I don't have a mixing radio and don't want to add any weight with an onboard mixer. But someday...
-Goge
Goge is offline Find More Posts by Goge
Old Aug 03, 2001, 02:38 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Where can I download the plans for the SoSlo2?
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Aug 03, 2001, 03:03 AM
Mie oo Karjala poikii
Ruokolahti, Finland
Joined Apr 2001
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Gallagher:
Where can I download the plans for the SoSlo2?
http://www.geocities.com/azchuckrc/wingthig.html
Tyson is offline Find More Posts by Tyson
Old Aug 03, 2001, 08:51 AM
Ionia, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2001
61 Posts
Don't worry about the weight of a mixer, it only weighs 2 grams. I have a Wing Thing with a mixer in it. Flies 2x as fast as a SoSlow. It can also take some seriuos weight. My original carried a FMA digi30 for it's first ESC. It weighed nearrly an ounce on its own! It still flew really well.

Greg
silencer is offline Find More Posts by silencer
Old Aug 03, 2001, 09:05 AM
Master Nursery Builder
Canton, GA
Joined Jan 2001
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Goge:
I'm curious: how do you manage to land that wonderful little beast? I mean, like without stacking it up? Also, what kinda flight times are you seeing with the RayOVacs?
-Goge
Well, I intentionally land it 1 of 2 ways:
1: I just bring it in low, throttle back, and let it plop on my nice soft grass (trust me, cement doesn't work).
2: I bring it in about chest high, throttle back, and catch it by it's nose (very gently, like you'd catch an egg).

I have 3 different rayovacs and they each perform a little different. I have a timer with me when I fly so know how long I've been in the air. With NO full throttle, I regularly tool around for 5:00 to 6:00 minutes. The BEC doesn't kick in, it just won't stay airborne. Actually, at about the 4 minute mark, the throttle has moved all the way to full, it just doesn't go any faster.

-O Geoffrey