HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2005, 02:04 PM
Grayslake / KC81
Joined Sep 2005
306 Posts
Discussion
Chicagoland Parkflying F.I.B. Part 12

Decided to beat the server admins to it!

Went to fly the slow stick this morning, a gust caught it while still on the ground when I turned to grab my tx. tail flipped up, hit my hand, cracked the vertical stabilizer. no flying for me this morning....
mirth is offline Find More Posts by mirth
Last edited by mirth; Jan 26, 2006 at 10:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2005, 03:44 PM
Chicago
Joined Sep 2002
219 Posts
I forgot to ask on Saturday, but does anyoen know if the dome will be open at all this weekend?

Thanks
Mike
whirlyspud is offline Find More Posts by whirlyspud
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:00 PM
Chicago O, Illinois, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,450 Posts
Well, Well, well. I guess our 5200 posts were bogging down the RCG servers.

I sure hope the dome is open, as I will likely be able to make it this Friday.

Sponge
Spongebob is offline Find More Posts by Spongebob
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:17 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Mirth, glue it back in place and keep flying!!

Oh and reinforcing the tail really helps. I used flying strings..i guess that's what you'd call them..and a peice of wire for the horizontal stab...much stonger.

we had to start a nwe thread...what?!? I was hoping for some kind of record..

Oh btw, flying has been kind of put off for me at the time being as school is quite busy, and i'm working on getting on a paintball team so that's taking all my extra time and money..

so no real flying for a while...

ash
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:35 PM
Grayslake / KC81
Joined Sep 2005
306 Posts
Ash, my plan was to use a couple of bamboo skewers CA'ed to the tail as cross braces. I was running late for work anyhow this morning and didn't have my glue with me...

Anybody have suggestions on how to pull ailerons off a plane? My Aircruiser glow to electric conversion plan has dual aileron servos, but there is a metal control rod embedded in the ailerons... Would like to remove that if possible.
The hinges are nylon and don't appear to be pinned thru the control surfaces.
mirth is offline Find More Posts by mirth
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:40 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlyspud
I forgot to ask on Saturday, but does anyoen know if the dome will be open at all this weekend?

Thanks
Mike
yep, should be.
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:34 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87
we had to start a nwe thread...what?!? I was hoping for some kind of record..
I think this thread is the record, probably was a valuable exercise to RCG tech personnel, and I wonder how exactly does it make the servers bog?

Anyway, whats the recommended maximum post # from now on - 5000? 3000? Less?
Maybe we will get a thank you note from the brass for this experiment!
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Nov 21, 2005, 07:54 PM
Bensenville, Ill. United States
Joined Nov 2003
627 Posts
Hey COO:

How they hangin'. Yes it is the FMA-M5 that doesn't like the cold. Its the Hitec Electron-6 that doesn't like the heat. Although if your Elec-6 is less than 3 months old it should be OK, according to Hitec. I would check it out though as there are alot of people in this hobby whos word you can't trust.

Jim....
Jim Mayer is offline Find More Posts by Jim Mayer
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:38 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
I think early versions of Sombra receivers did not like cold neither.
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:08 AM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,890 Posts
Hey guys...check this out! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1943-...QQcmdZViewItem

T-6 Texan up for sale...and all for the low, low price of 100k.

BTW...you guys might want to check this out...our newsletter for this month...BERG RECEIVERS ARE OUT!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444205
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Last edited by Joe Ford; Nov 22, 2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 01:33 AM
RCGroups tech support
Joined May 2002
3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime
I think this thread is the record, probably was a valuable exercise to RCG tech personnel, and I wonder how exactly does it make the servers bog?

Anyway, whats the recommended maximum post # from now on - 5000? 3000? Less?
Maybe we will get a thank you note from the brass for this experiment!
The problem with the big threads is that all posts from the thread must be fetched from the db and then ordered by date before displaying even a single 15 posts page. Nonsurprisingly, it takes some time to fetch and sort through 5000+ posts.
Basically, every thread with more than 1500 replies is destined to show on a slow queries radar sooner or later. I'd recommend splitting such threads on about 2000 posts.
In fact, we are going to implement autosplitting of the huge threads at some point, though the details are still dim..
Mike Kolesnikov is offline Find More Posts by Mike Kolesnikov
Administrator
Old Nov 22, 2005, 08:46 AM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Hey The Mayer...doing great, how about you?

I sure am partial to the one Berg in a hard case I have. One of the older ones...couple years now. Never had a glitch with it. I see now that CC bought out Berg and is offering a micro-stamp type 4 channel Rx. I gotta get something for this new EVA Sport...aint going to use the FMA M5 in it. That is the Rx that was in my Groove when it died. Dimension Engineering took all the gear outta my Groove (Axi, CC25, ParkBEC, FMA M5) and tested what might be the problem. Couldn't find anything (was looking at his ParkBEC specifically) but the thing did go WOT for him too...he thought that was a "hold last signal" deal from the FMA M5...kinda scarry.

So what Rx do we like now? FMA in the summer and Hitec E6 in the summer?

I have a new Groove (V2) coming and will need a Rx for that too. So I'm in the market for two new Rxs.

Jim, you going to build something new over the winter?

Coo
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Nov 22, 2005, 08:14 PM
Bensenville, Ill. United States
Joined Nov 2003
627 Posts
COO:

Don't think I'll be building this winter, although you never know. I have built a tiger moth 400 and I just have to put a motor in it. Been busy at work and haven't had any time to get to SRC.
Rafinski seems to have such a good time flyin' that plane and he flys it in some pretty stiff winds. So I said what the heck.

If I build anything it might be a P40 from Sureflite. 50 in. wing-3-5lb wt.But its a foamy. Thats another reason I wanted to build a cheap foamy first. To get the hang of workin' with foam.

Hope I was able to help you with the RX question you asked.

We need to get together for a couple of cold ones.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Laurie and the kids, hop[e you have a great day.

Jim.....
Jim Mayer is offline Find More Posts by Jim Mayer
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:10 PM
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ford
Hey guys...check this out!
BTW...you guys might want to check this out...our newsletter for this month...BERG RECEIVERS ARE OUT!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444205
Great news. When I heard that last night I emailed Christy at CC to see if my order from back in June was still valid and she sent a reply at 11:30 last night that my order was still in the system and that I was very high up on the list so should be getting one very soon when they start shipping them. I can hardly wait.

Sure hope you guys have managed to track down and stomp all the problems they had.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is offline Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:29 PM
Chicago O, Illinois, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,450 Posts
Mr. Moody,
I would think that they worked out the problems, as Joe uses Berg in his pylon (170+mph) planes.

Jim, you could just get some blucor and test make a few planes... then use them!

Sponge
Spongebob is offline Find More Posts by Spongebob