HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:26 PM
Too little play time...
South Alabama
Joined Feb 2005
1,500 Posts
What is the best Electric Flight magazine?

I was thinking about getting a subscription to one if there is a really good one out there.

I think my tastes runtoward parkflyers and maybe foamie profile planes.

I know the net and forums provide most of the good info but hey, I don't have a PC in the bathroom!

Thanks, much!
WarrrEagle! is offline Find More Posts by WarrrEagle!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:27 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
I think this has been done not long ago.

My money is on QEFI.
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:32 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Oct 2004
731 Posts
I think that Quiet Flyer at least has some real information (numbers!) in it, but I'm not impressed enough with any of the mags to buy them on a regular basis, much less subscribe. I don't think that I've ever seen a bad review of any product in any print magazine. They're probably afraid of the manufacturers' lawyers if they every said anything but "XYZ is the best thing since sliced bread, buy it."
Lon Enloe is offline Find More Posts by Lon Enloe
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:10 AM
Athens, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,669 Posts
Check out Fly R/C and RC Report. They are the best magazines on the subject of R/C flying there is.
ekotil is offline Find More Posts by ekotil
Old Nov 21, 2005, 02:38 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Aug 2005
1,110 Posts
This place is better than ANY magazine and ALL combined...endless amount of knowledge, reviews, real-life experience here. The only time I read a mag is when I'm waiting for the wife to finish shopping at my local dept store.

Todd
savydad is offline Find More Posts by savydad
Old Nov 21, 2005, 02:46 AM
Undecided, Canada
Joined Aug 2005
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon Enloe
I don't think that I've ever seen a bad review of any product in any print magazine. They're probably afraid of the manufacturers' lawyers if they every said anything but "XYZ is the best thing since sliced bread, buy it."
I agree. Most magazines today seem to be just advertising forums for the major ARF and kit manufacturers. It wasn't always that way.

I think the British magazines are superior to anything from North America - the only magazines I read more than once a year or so are Flying Scale Models and Aviation Modeller International. Neither are strictly "electric" magazines, but there are always electric features in them. QEFI is pretty good I guess.
deSelby is offline Find More Posts by deSelby
Old Nov 21, 2005, 03:31 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,988 Posts
I've been buying Q & EFI since issue One when it was Electric Flight International and it works for me. As it happens I write for another magazine including reviews and one of the problems nowadays is finding much, if anything, to bad mouth about products from the quality suppliers. Most really have their act together but there is cheap junk out there and if you purchase then expect to get what you pay for. I can still find things to rant about such as poor or incomplete instructions or the odd poor fit line on mouldings but in all honesty I haven't either reviewed or purchased, for that matter, a genuinely bad product in the last five years.
One thing I notice in a number of threads on this site and others is that some modellers ignore instructions, modify aircraft, run motors and ESC's beyond reasonable limits then blame the manufacturer for making a bad product. You can whinge all you want about models but try bucking the computer industry!
David Hipperson is online now Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:29 AM
I'm big in Japan
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2004
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSelby
I agree. Most magazines today seem to be just advertising forums for the major ARF and kit manufacturers. It wasn't always that way.

I think the British magazines are superior to anything from North America...
Thats hilarious as I've now heard the exact same comment in both another car and motorcycle forum. They are much better. Although when it comes to oooother forms of brit media... *cough* Clarksons a sped muppet.
Ducman69 is offline Find More Posts by Ducman69
Old Nov 21, 2005, 08:46 AM
Baptised Heathen
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
1,365 Posts
RCM&E, although not a dedicated electric mag, has a lot of info for electric flyers. Fly RC used to be ok but is now just an "ad mag" and I am letting my subscription drop after this one ends. Have heard good things about Q&EFI and just subscribed to it.
batman is offline Find More Posts by batman
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:25 AM
Whistling Death
WA,USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,544 Posts
RCGroups is by far the best for reading material!
RC4ZEKE is offline Find More Posts by RC4ZEKE
Old Nov 21, 2005, 11:01 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon Enloe
I don't think that I've ever seen a bad review of any product in any print magazine. They're probably afraid of the manufacturers' lawyers if they every said anything but "XYZ is the best thing since sliced bread, buy it."
When was the last time you saw a story about a defective product, (battery, ESC, motor, etc.) complete with brand name mentioned and photos of the aftermath too, in a magazine ?.

RCGroups is my vote for #1....it's got videos too.
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Nov 21, 2005, 01:54 PM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Magazines are a good way to see what's new, etc. But when was the last time a review of a plane or product was negative? Perhaps review samples are the best kits out there, I don't always seem to be so lucky......
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
Old Nov 21, 2005, 02:17 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
I like Backyard Flyer
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Nov 21, 2005, 03:35 PM
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2002
280 Posts
Quiet Flyer has really become a joke! Recently one of the reviewers disassembled some lipo packs from different manufacturers and gave a heads up on how poorly and unsafely some were constructed -- but he wouldn't name them!! I guess we are supposed to buy packs and disassemble them to see whether they are well constructed!

I will not be resubscribing to QF! I will be dropping it along with Model Airplane News, and trying Q+EFI instead. I still like and will continue subscribing to Fly RC, RC Report, and Model Aviation.
1g1yy is offline Find More Posts by 1g1yy
Old Nov 21, 2005, 04:57 PM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Q+EFI.
I like the free plans provided. They got very generous recently and gave two lovely free plans.
RCMW is also pretty good. Similar content to Q+EFI but covers all aspects of model aviation which is pretty interesting to read about.

J,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2