SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 27, 2002, 07:04 PM
Montana
Joined May 2002
24 Posts
Ercoupe or Aircoupe plans, kit, ARF?

I an begining to gain some measure of control over my TM during the early morning Dawn Patrols so I'm getting eager to try something else. Does anyone know of any plans, kits or ARF models of the old Mooney Ercoupe? I'm particularly interested in park flyer / slow flyer type planes, if any exist. Another of my favorites that I'd like to someday try flying is the Beechcraft Staggerwing. Any versions of that around?
MTrobin is offline Find More Posts by MTrobin
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2002, 07:32 PM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
There are some staggerwing models around, but I've never seen an Ercoupe. I'd like that one myself as a friend of mine had a full scale that I used to fly years ago. Very unusual aircraft, with the single swing-over control yoke, and linked rudder control.

Use the search feature in the top right corner of the page and search for staggerwing and you'll find lots to read about.

Jimmy
Capt. Electron is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Electron
Old May 28, 2002, 04:03 PM
Montana
Joined May 2002
24 Posts
Thanks for the guidance, Capt. I've ordered (back ordered ) one of the Hobbico Classic Biplanes EP FF 20' from Tower for $20. It looks very much like the staggerwing. Do you have any suggestions for converting it to rc?
Old May 28, 2002, 07:31 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
Have seen the Aircoupe done but most have been 1/4 scale. Always liked that plane was way ahead of it's time but was never crazy about no rudder pedals. Forney??? the last that were built had rudder pedels? Haven't seen that or the Beech staggerwing but also was looking at the Great planes Beech. There maybe plans you can down size
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old May 28, 2002, 07:40 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
Try www.clevelandairline.com They do show a 30 inch Ercoupe but not sure what the IT series is???? And I would bet they have the Beech also.
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Last edited by russ6421; May 28, 2002 at 07:43 PM.
Old May 28, 2002, 07:49 PM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
Can't help there as I haven't done any of the FF conversions. But a lot of guys are doing them on a lot of different models.

They may be more popular over in the Indoor/Micro forum, you might ask there.

Here's a link to one thread about doing a staggerwing conversion.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...AND+conversion

There are probably more, learn to do selective searches and you can usually find something of interest. I used 'staggerwing AND conversion' to find that one.

Jimmy
Old May 28, 2002, 08:09 PM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
Thanks russ6421 for the link.

It says the "IT" series is an industrial training series used for school projects. The "IT" series is close but not true scale as they have minor changes to improve flight. Plans are $10. That's interesting, I bookmarked the site for later.

Jimmy
Old May 28, 2002, 09:19 PM
Parker CO
Joined Oct 2001
70 Posts
I thought I had an Earl Stahl plan for a Ercoupe, however it turned out to be a plan for a Skyfarer another twin tailed private aircraft. What I realizied while I was goint through all the plans I have squirreled away over the years is that there are a great many plans for rubber scale that could be easily converted to electric. I would buy a copy of "Flying Models" magizine and see what they have published for scale rubber. Bill Northrop still runs a plans service for the models he published in his the now defunt "Model Builder" magizne, you can find an ad in RCM.

I found I had plans for a 26" AD-4B Skyraider by Walt Moony that would be perfect for conversion. Now all I have to do is clear a place on the work bench, rip the motor out of the Tiger Moth and I'll be set.

Doug
spored is offline Find More Posts by spored
Last edited by spored; May 28, 2002 at 11:00 PM.
Old May 28, 2002, 10:39 PM
Montana
Joined May 2002
24 Posts
Thanks for the info, Doug. I'll check out RCM.
Why "rip the motor out of the tigermoth? A new one isn't too spendy. Besides, the TM motor probably doesn't have much life left in it anyway.
Old May 28, 2002, 11:23 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
It would be a great flyer, especially if built to emulate the original! Pat's Custom Models was talking of producing a park flyer Ercoupe, but he hasn't yet, to my knowledge. I have a Jack Stafford "Alon Aircoupe" 1/6 scale kit for .40 IC power that I intend to build and electrify someday. I thought about scaling the plans down for building a parkflyer.
I also have a 1946 Ercoupe 415 C-D, full scale. (I should sell it because I lost my medical.) No rudder pedals? No problem. I like to do a crosswind landing with a "conventional" pilot in the right seat. Invariably, he will bang his feet on the floor trying to straighten it out as we touch down sideways! Most later 'Coupes had rudder pedals and you can retro fit earlier models with pedals if you must.
Mooney built a few Aircoupes with a traditional Mooney tail and Cessna 150 style main gear. However, the nicest looking ones are the Alon Aircoupes which have a more rounded canopy.
If you're interested in the scratch building one, I could have my plans scaled down. Or wait until Pat's Custom Models does one.
A Staggerwing would be a great parkflyer, only if GWS made one! Otherwise, they seem to get kinda heavy and draggy. But a very cool plane it is!
Captn Electron: I think you confused the Bonanza swing over yoke with the Ercoupe dual yokes. However, both use the yoke to steer while on the ground, and both are great planes in their own rite!

Charley
CharleyRexom is offline Find More Posts by CharleyRexom
Old May 29, 2002, 05:44 AM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
Charley,

I think you're right, it was the Bonanza. I get confused sometimes, that was three decades ago, I've been to sleep too many times since then. I was thinking ground steering with the yoke, but you're right they both worked that way.

Jimmy
Old May 29, 2002, 10:07 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I used to fly rc single channel with a friend named Si...

He had Polio as a kid an could only walk with leg braces and crutches. He was telling me one day how much he liked the Ercoupe because he could fly iy since it did not require the use of legs. He had though he would never be able to fly a full size plane. As far as I know he never did get a license but did get to fly the plane with a friend a fair amount.

Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.