HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2005, 10:09 AM
Isle of Rhode, US
Joined Sep 2004
1,041 Posts
Can Foam Planes be recycled?

Title says it all - I would imagine they can't - Remember the shock of receiving a McDonalds sandwich in cardboard?
SKY KING is offline Find More Posts by SKY KING
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:47 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,374 Posts
The foam is polystrene or polypropelene, which are fairly standard plastics - it all depends what recycling facilities you have locally. Around here we can only recycle polyethene. I've no idea what the difference is - I never was much good at chemistry!

OTOH, I wouldn't worry, far more foam is wasted as packaging or construction off-cuts.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Nov 19, 2005, 08:13 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKY KING
Remember the shock of receiving a McDonalds sandwich in cardboard?
What shock ?, you mean the shock that it wasn't in a foam container anymore, or the shock of the sudden realisation that the sandwich tasted just like it's new container (mushy cardboard) ?.

P.S. Coffee cups can be recycled into model rockets .........

http://www.fliskits.com/products/roc...etail/uffo.htm
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Nov 19, 2005, 08:45 PM
Isle of Rhode, US
Joined Sep 2004
1,041 Posts
I do rather like re-hydrated onions.

That last photo looks like a group of surly unaccredited technical school students...
SKY KING is offline Find More Posts by SKY KING
Old Nov 19, 2005, 09:50 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
In Canada, there is no recylers that handle foam packing, we checked. How can it be so difficult???

If anyone finds a way, they are guaranteed good income for life as far as I can tell. I tried compressing it: a 12-ton jack reduces it by 50% or so, not enough. I know little about chemistry either, so I haven't tried controlled heating yet, I'm afraid of the gases that may be liberated if the temp gets too high. Chipping it up and using it for garden filler, but the mess would be awesome...

C'm,on guys, are we innovators or not???;-)
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Nov 20, 2005, 05:20 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,374 Posts
Canada has plenty of land, so they are just storing the foam in land fill sites until someone works out how to recycle it. In 100 years time when the oil has run out we'll probably be mining the land fill sites to get at all the valuable plastic ;-)
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Nov 20, 2005, 03:59 PM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
Foam planes can be recycled from a technical point of view. Most plastics used are thermoplastic and can be heated, reshaped and cooled - so whatever shape they are in they can be made back into pellets or powder. For the process description, see here: http://www.dartcontainer.com/web/env...schematic.html

The problem is that foam is light and mixed with lots of other things (eg cardboard labels or coffe cup surrounds, tea bags, all sorts of unwanted stuff) and that makes it more difficult to recycle. That, combined with the high transportation costs due to the light weight of the foam, make it a logistical nightmare. It is not cost effective to do it although environmental pressure is pushing things that way.

Consider that of all the plastic waste (PE, PP, PS, and foamed versions of these) it is easier and cheaper to collect and recycle the non-foamed versions because the value of the resultant pellets is higher.

As the oil resources get tighter more plastics will be recycled and more oil fields will be revisited to extract oil that currently, is not cost-effective to extract (there are sources that are easier/cheaper to get to)

Regards

Kyri
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
Old Nov 27, 2005, 04:04 AM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Don't they use little styro beads in some mulches and fertilizers? Makes you feel better when you "plant" your foaming at the park. Or not.

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Nov 27, 2005, 04:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccobro
Don't they use little styro beads in some mulches and fertilizers? Makes you feel better when you "plant" your foaming at the park. Or not.

Justin
Actually those are beads of ammonium nitrate I think. Usta Bee's group looks like a gathering of the Melungen defense league..............HAHAHAHAHA
BTW.......is that a rocket in your hand or are you just happy to see me?.....
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)