HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2005, 03:52 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
1,744 Posts
How well do your micro heli's fly in the wind?

I have an Esky FP with 2s 900's, pretty much stock to the Mark 2 specs of the Hobby Lobby version (head stiffener, ball in swash, longer tail boom).

This heli stuff is addicting! I've done over 120 flights in the past six weeks, haven't even touched a plane in that time!

Don't get me wrong, this is a great little copter for the price.

My AUW is 8.6oz, my only point of clarification is, these things are real squirrely in ANY kind of wind, aren't they? Its not just me, but anything over 5mph affects them quite a bit, and even gusts under 5mph can be noticeable.

I've been told that when I move up to the Hornets (and 3dpro I'm going to modify for belt drive) that they handle wind much better.

I was just looking for input, because I'm getting a feel for how often I'll be able to fly, since where we live its pretty windy in daytime hours, so I've been flying indoors (a no-no with the cp ships) and early in the morning and after dark outside, except for occasional days when its calm outside.
Johnny B is offline Find More Posts by Johnny B
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:11 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Higher headspeed helps the most, alongside of getting the hang of flying in wind of course. trim down your stock blades if possible (or purchase sportier blades) and increase pinion size. The next step after that if you want greater control in wind is to go brushless.

I fly a 255 gram micro FP heli in winds quite often (dont know the wind speed, but it could be around 10 mph?) and it can make for a bit of extra fun with really quick down wind speeds . Watch out for gusts though, particularly when they drop - you can end up hitting the deck rather promptly
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:26 PM
Monmouth UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B
I have an Esky FP with 2s 900's, pretty much stock to the Mark 2 specs of the Hobby Lobby version (head stiffener, ball in swash, longer tail boom).

This heli stuff is addicting! I've done over 120 flights in the past six weeks, haven't even touched a plane in that time!

Don't get me wrong, this is a great little copter for the price.

My AUW is 8.6oz, my only point of clarification is, these things are real squirrely in ANY kind of wind, aren't they? Its not just me, but anything over 5mph affects them quite a bit, and even gusts under 5mph can be noticeable.

I've been told that when I move up to the Hornets (and 3dpro I'm going to modify for belt drive) that they handle wind much better.

I was just looking for input, because I'm getting a feel for how often I'll be able to fly, since where we live its pretty windy in daytime hours, so I've been flying indoors (a no-no with the cp ships) and early in the morning and after dark outside, except for occasional days when its calm outside.
About time you uprade to a TRex. Even though I have a TRex I still fly my HB FP2 in a 10x10 room when it is too windy outside. The skills learned are transferable between the two for sure.

Damn nose in hover
hb888 is offline Find More Posts by hb888
Old Nov 18, 2005, 05:16 PM
-Flight enthusiast_
Lake Louise, AB, Canada
Joined Feb 2000
3,567 Posts
When I go to fun fly's nowadays I pray for at least some high winds so I can take up my MaxiR where "lesser" micro-heli's fear to tread and show off just how well it handles the wind

Cheers!

Glen
gpeden is offline Find More Posts by gpeden
Old Nov 18, 2005, 05:31 PM
Joined Oct 2005
172 Posts
They are pigs to fly in the wind. I have to hand it to the pilots that can do this.
john_miln is offline Find More Posts by john_miln
Old Nov 18, 2005, 05:35 PM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
My T-Rex flies just fine in the wind, my Dragonfly does not. Headspeed and collective pitch makes all the difference.
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old Nov 18, 2005, 06:29 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I got the Blade CP And its a bunch to handle in the wind and it has Collective pitch.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Nov 18, 2005, 07:10 PM
Hi Wattage Electrics - Cool
Jordan, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker
My T-Rex flies just fine in the wind, my Dragonfly does not. Headspeed and collective pitch makes all the difference.

What is your T-Rex headspeed and pitch setup for windy conditions?
Rad Racer is offline Find More Posts by Rad Racer
Old Nov 18, 2005, 07:16 PM
Prior Lake, MN
Joined Sep 2005
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthdrk
I got the Blade CP And its a bunch to handle in the wind and it has Collective pitch.
I have the Blade CP and the Lama XRP. What a difference for wind. The Lama needs 0mph wind; well maybe 1mph would be OK. When you fly the Lama at max forward speed it 'lifts up' and oscillates like it is dangling from a string, even without wind. The Lama is fun indoors but pretty easy to get bored, no challenge to it and it doesn't do much other than 'hang there'. The BCP handles wind pretty well (probably not like the Trex tho). The only problem I find is that going downwind it goes so fast that you can get out of visual range quickly.
Foilinguy is offline Find More Posts by Foilinguy
Old Nov 18, 2005, 08:47 PM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
Small FPs need brushless (power) and lower pitch stiff blades to fly in wind. This means more head speed to fly (better stability) and improved responsiveness. Shortening the flybar a little helps - and using 2mm piano wire instead of CF.

Like90 blades work well in wind up to 10 mph in my experience... more experienced pilots fly in more wind than this.

Biggest challenges is getting the heli back down - banked turns are the only real option as backing off the throttle just kills HS and makes the rig unresponsive.

... and then you move to a small CP. Trex in my case. Generally I check the weather and I don't go to the field if its more than 12- 14 mph, but I've flown in 20mph with gusts. Flies fine but landing can be interesting.
ukgroucho is offline Find More Posts by ukgroucho
Old Nov 19, 2005, 04:37 AM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Racer
What is your T-Rex headspeed and pitch setup for windy conditions?
I don't have any special setup for that, I just fly . Haven't measured the head speed, but in theory it should be a little above 2600, so it's probably 24-2500 in practice. Pitch is -10 to +10, I always fly in Idle Up to get used to it, and only use normal mode to spin up and down on the ground.
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old Nov 19, 2005, 04:58 AM