SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2005, 05:01 PM
Millis, MA
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
Gallery
Benoit Paysant Le-Roux Edge 540T

I just wanted to share some pictures of a project I finished for the JR Inoor Meet. This is a pretty neat model and flies extremely well, and best of all, it looks like a baby Edge! It has a built-up depron fuselage and is very light.

For equipment, I chose an Electrifly Rimfire and Electrifly 8-amp esc, Futaba 3108's all around (4 total), and a Futaba 6-channel PCM receiver.

I've logged many hours of flight-time on this airplane and have had a blast each flight! I can practice mini-IMAC routines and it excels at 3D maneuvers. You will find that this model is a good cross between a foamy and a glow-powered airpane in flight characteristics.

It has very neutral flight characteristics, and when rolled into knife-edge flight, it needs only a few percent of rudder-to-elevator mix.

I built it completely stock and only changed the hardware. I used hardware from Ikarus (a link is available on my other Thread entitled "ETOC..."). I also reinforced where all of the control horns mount to the control surfaces using pieces of a CA-Hinge. I cut the hinge in half and glued it to the foam using odorless CA. Then, I drilled the two holes needed for the Ikarus horn to be mounted to the surface. This really strengthens the foam in critical areas like this.

Enjoy!

Best Regards,
JPG
John Glezellis is offline Find More Posts by John Glezellis
Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Dec 24, 2007 at 12:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:17 AM
Millis, MA
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
Just curious, who else has built and/or flown this model? What are your thoughts?

Has anyone here in the U.S. built BPLR's Reflex?

Regards,
JPG
Old Nov 19, 2005, 07:46 PM
Joined Oct 2005
4 Posts
Hi John,

Very nice! The airplane looks promising; I saw the video of it on Hobby Lobby's website. Are you going to post any video of yours?

Thanks,
Matt
Mateo52286 is offline Find More Posts by Mateo52286
Old Dec 06, 2005, 05:07 PM
Millis, MA
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
I will have videos of quite a few of the models I am working on when I return back out East.

The Edge is a great airplane. I have logged many flights on mine and am very happy with it. If you check the Hobby Lobby Website, you will see that they dropped the price quite a bit.

I have done minor mods to my personal Edge to improve the flight characteristics (in knife edge). If any of you are interested in this airplane and/or the mods that I did, let me know and I'll post more information.

Happy Holidays,
JPG
Old Dec 09, 2005, 10:03 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2004
340 Posts
helo john, im very interested in this plane but dont want to jump and buy it yet until i hear more about it, most important is how much coupling does it have and does she fly the same on both sides of the fuse in knife edge manuevers? i dont mind paying allot for foam if it flys good. i dont like to have to fight a plane threw a manuever. let me know thanks
torqeroll is offline Find More Posts by torqeroll
Old Dec 10, 2005, 01:01 AM
Millis, MA
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqeroll
helo john, im very interested in this plane but dont want to jump and buy it yet until i hear more about it, most important is how much coupling does it have and does she fly the same on both sides of the fuse in knife edge manuevers? i dont mind paying allot for foam if it flys good. i dont like to have to fight a plane threw a manuever. let me know thanks
Hello Torqeroll,

When you put the Edge in Knife-Edge, with my battery location and motor set-up (in other words, the weight distribution within the fuselage), there is a slight pitch to the belly (2% takes care of this on my model). However, the percent mix varies from model to model. Even though my edge has a 2% mix, yours may have a slightly different mix value as our servo arms may not be the same size, the control horns differ, etc. All of this is taken into consideration; with that being said, don't worry if you have a larger value (within reason) as all that matters is that it is the correct mix value. Also, the Edge is very predictable in knife-edge so you will have nothing to worry about. One reminder is that the Edge does fly more like a larger model. Even though it flies slowly, you will have to use quite a bit of rudder to hold knife-edge flight (as there is not as much fuselage side area as other "foamies").

All in all, it is worth it. It not only looks awesome, but it flies really well. I've been flying mine often since the JR Indoor Fest and I'm having a ball. I believe Hobby Lobby is running a special on them.

Happy Holidays,
JPG
Old Dec 10, 2005, 06:56 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2004
340 Posts
thanks john , when you say battery location, did you put it some were besides were the plane calls for it? did you do any other special things to it to make it fly better?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:56 PM
Millis, MA
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
Quote:
thanks john , when you say battery location, did you put it some were besides were the plane calls for it? did you do any other special things to it to make it fly better?
Hi Torqeroll,

If you look at the picture that has my Edge's bottom view, you'll see a black velcro strip right in front of the landing gear mount (the CF landing gear rods secure onto the wing, and my battery mounts on the wing right in front of the landing gear). I'm not sure wear the instructions say to mount it, but it will differ from model to model (depending on the battery pack size, etc).

If you play with the battery pack height and placement within the fuselage, you can minimize "pitch" in knife-edge for any model. First just try a spot where your model balances, then fly it. The great thing with foamies is that you can experiment and "fine-tune" your airplane in a flight...and some extra velcro

I will post a picture in the near future of the "mods" I did to mine. The changes I did (only two) were to:

1. Increase rudder authority
2. Add drag to the airframe (since it is a monoplane)

Best Regards,
JPG
Old Dec 11, 2005, 05:19 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2004
340 Posts
thanks john,that is real slick with the rudder,i would have never thought about that. !!!!!!! i cant wait to try that one. will that work on any mono wing ? will that mod slow down any plane that does not have a slow flight in knife? cool, thanks raul, oh and what is that little tee looking thing in front of the rudder on the top of the fuse ??
Old Dec 11, 2005, 08:42 PM
Millis, MA
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
Quote:
thanks john,that is real slick with the rudder,i would have never thought about that. !!!!!!! i cant wait to try that one. will that work on any mono wing ? will that mod slow down any plane that does not have a slow flight in knife? cool, thanks raul, oh and what is that little tee looking thing in front of the rudder on the top of the fuse ??
It works with all models. Essentially, since it is not a bipe, it is good to try to add drag (within reason) to a foamy-style model.

The little "booster" on the top of the rear turtle-deck adds rudder authority to the model. I did not want to change the looks of the model drastically, and doing this did the trick on my airplane. Now, rudder authority is greater than it was without it. This has caught on in Europe and Asia on pattern models, mainly with Christophe Paysant Le-Roux using it on his F3A model.

You'll have a lot of fun with this airplane.

Regards,
JPG
Old Dec 11, 2005, 09:08 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2004
340 Posts
wow john , your just as bad as me !! your on this site every second of the day. the booster looks cool , but how does it work ? it doesnt move does it?i just cant understand how that helps the rudder? were can i see it on those paysant planes?? those europeans always beat us to everything. smart dudes.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 09:37 PM
Millis, MA
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
Quote:
wow john , your just as bad as me !! your on this site every second of the day. the booster looks cool , but how does it work ? it doesnt move does it?i just cant understand how that helps the rudder? were can i see it on those paysant planes?? those europeans always beat us to everything. smart dudes.
We do seem to be on here quite a bit; I usually just leave my computer on most of the day as I am always working on something for school (reports, you name it). It's a lot of fun, but maybe we should get out more often!

The "booster" increases side area of the fuselage (slightly) and also directs airflow to the rudder (this increases the rudder authority).

As far as Christophe's airplanes, check out www.znline.com

Regards,
JPG
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:40 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2004
340 Posts
christophe has some nice planes, the little rudder booster looks nice on his plane and it looks like he just won another championship. must be nice. thanks for the help john, im waiting for my order from hobby lobby, its on back order but at least i got it on special.good luck with your flying, se ya raul, have you flown one of these, real good flyer
Old Dec 18, 2005, 09:09 PM
Millis, MA
Joined Jan 2005
322 Posts
Hi Raul,

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you; I was pretty occupied with school as I had semester exams last week.

I have not had the chance to fly one of the Inferno's from Hobby Lobby. I have heard many good things about the airplane. From the video on the HL website, it looks like a great F3A-I model.

Feel free to post your set-up for others to see. Your model looks great!

Happy Holidays,
JPG