SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:57 PM
go flyin or die tryin
grafton, West Virginia, United States
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
how much $$$ for a homebuilt 4 axis cnc router

ok here is a few questions. i really want to build my own cnc i can build the whole system for free except for the steppers and controller and program. i have a black and decker dremel that i absolutly love. i am thinking of having it set up for 4 axis cuttin. left-right forward-backward up-down and rotation of the dremel on an axis. i have a machinist uncle and i myself am a hobby machinist. and my mother is a computer genius so i am sure she could hook up the electronics for me. now all i need is to know where to get 4 steppers a controller and a 4-axis cutting program that will control the way i need it to. any help would be appreciated. btw i am looking for the cheaper rout.
new flyer is offline Find More Posts by new flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:43 PM
Joined Sep 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new flyer
ok here is a few questions. i really want to build my own cnc i can build the whole system for free except for the steppers and controller and program. i have a black and decker dremel that i absolutly love. i am thinking of having it set up for 4 axis cuttin. left-right forward-backward up-down and rotation of the dremel on an axis. i have a machinist uncle and i myself am a hobby machinist. and my mother is a computer genius so i am sure she could hook up the electronics for me. now all i need is to know where to get 4 steppers a controller and a 4-axis cutting program that will control the way i need it to. any help would be appreciated. btw i am looking for the cheaper rout.
You should check out such sites as www.cnczone.com. There are a ton of folks that can help you out. I am just completing my 3 axis router and it has cost me around $400 because This will be my only router. I'm not planning on building a second machine(which many folks do so I made sure that I got all the parts that would make this router a success. Many folks build a cheap machine that "will do" for the time being and then use that macine to build and cut their 2nd machine. If you alreaady have most of the parts all it will cost you is the time and maybe the steppers and controller board i.e.- www.hobbycnc.com 4AUPC Driver Board Kits
chopper board for around $250 w/ 200 oz/in steppers.

Software such as mach3 will cut up to 6 axis. But it will set you back around $150
mrbaseballny is offline Find More Posts by mrbaseballny
Old Nov 17, 2005, 07:16 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
4axis = 3 axis plus rotary axis.... If you can build a rotary axis for next to nothing you better start posting pics!

Unless you are talking about foamcutters in which case why would you need a dremel?
OzDragonFlyer is online now Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:44 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I believe turbo cnc does up to 8 axis and it's free.
Hope your mom knows DOS. Took me as long to set up the computer as to build my machine due to living during the "Windows Era"
Why do you need a 4th axis anyway?
Oh, and for a price I did mine for 300$, but that was with all the building materials freely supplied thanks to some dumpsters.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:19 PM
go flyin or die tryin
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
i will be mostly for foam cutting and maybe some other stuf. i want to be able to cut out one solid plane from epp or somthin similar. i will post pics of the axis things later but all i need i can make. except for bearings.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:21 PM
go flyin or die tryin
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
i am in shop class and have acces to free metal rods so i cna make screw rods for free and they have mills lathes welders torches anything i will need.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 09:48 PM
go flyin or die tryin
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
4th axis

this is a pic of my idea for the tilt axis. it will just be a stepper conected to the fram with a small gear on the shaft turning a large gear that the dremel will be attached to. it is mainly so i can make rounded edgesand stuff like that. but i am starting to think i could make rounded adges with just left-right + up-down. is that correct if so then scratch the 4 axis idea.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 09:57 PM
go flyin or die tryin
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
ok just realized how stupid i was for thinking about the 4-th axis i don't need it. not sure why i thought i did. so a 3 axis setup all thogether if the build i free would be around $300 sounds fair to me i think i am gonna have to build one.thanks for the help guys.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 11:05 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
300$ was the three 200oz steppers and the control board. You'll have to have a bit of soldering skill to put together the control board. If I were you, I'd add another 100$ or so for the building materials ect.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G