Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:43 PM
I'm Earl
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperch
Hey guys,

One complaint I heard from a friend of mine (who was a vendor) was that the setup time for vendors on Thursday closed very early. This forced him to arrive much earlier than otherwise necessary just to set up and then just sit there. The thing about many of these smaller vendors is that they do this as a side job. Many have full time jobs outside of the hobby and taking extra time off can be difficult.

Joe

Looking forward to SWAC '06!
Joe,

8pm is too early? This is the information from the SWAC website.

Set-up Hours: Thursday 10:00am-8:00pm
Friday: 8:00am-9:45am
Show Hours: Friday: 10:00am-7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am-6:00pm

Tear Down/Move out : Saturday: 6:00pm-Midnight

http://www.hobbygroup.org/swacexinfo.html
Hobbygroup is offline Find More Posts by Hobbygroup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:52 PM
I'm Earl
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRush99
Cap'n Ron,

If there are so many complaints from the people that make the show what it is ( or should be) why not find a "vendor friendly" venue that will provide the flexibility that is needed? Seems to me that these guys that are participating in these shows should be catered to and appreciated - not given the run-around. What would make them want to come back next year?

-Stuart
This is the most vendor friendly facility that I have been to, except for the food service.

This hall allowed the exhibitors and Swap meet vendors to drive up to their booth and unload, and the load up when the show is over. In addition the hall was walking distance to the hotels, and offered free meter parking on the streets for exhibitors.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:00 PM
I'm Earl
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Before I forgot thanks for this valuable input. It will help us make the 2006 show better than this year . I also did not realize that the indoor flying is a major back bone of the show and we will get special event passes for pre-registered pilots. To enter the hall during setup & tear down hours and enter the event.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:05 PM
Monkey Do
Plano, TX
Joined Apr 2004
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbygroup
This is the most vendor friendly facility that I have been to, except for the food service.

This hall allowed the exhibitors and Swap meet vendors to drive up to their booth and unload, and the load up when the show is over. In addition the hall was walking distance to the hotels, and offered free meter parking on the streets for exhibitors.
Heck, I rode the train from Dallas to FtWorth and got off the train across the parking lot from (behind) the convention center. I didn't carry any planes but I could have with some kind of cart.
ooo000OOO(time to stop making planes and start making that cart)
I'll be there next year with planes in tow.
MonkeySee is offline Find More Posts by MonkeySee
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:16 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Joe,

8pm is too early? This is the information from the SWAC website.

Set-up Hours: Thursday 10:00am-8:00pm
Friday: 8:00am-9:45am
Show Hours: Friday: 10:00am-7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am-6:00pm

Tear Down/Move out : Saturday: 6:00pm-Midnight

http://www.hobbygroup.org/swacexinfo.html
Hobbygroup,
8PM does not sound too early to me. Please understand that the information I mention was told to me by my friend. I did not verify it. Also he told me that info before the show. I have no idea where he got the info from. I only mentioned it because, at the time he told me about it, he was pretty annoyed about it. Perhaps he was mistaken and it wasn't a problem after all. Sorry if I misunderstood. I hope you really do make it a great show next year.

Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Nov 17, 2005, 03:32 PM
I'm Earl
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Joe,

There is always a lot of hear say. I can't talk to every body at the show so you guys are my eyes and ears. Yes we had a lot of growing pains but next year will be a better show.

Monkey See. We did have two flat bed carts to use in the hall. Maybe we can send someone to meet you at the train station.

Thanks for the input
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:00 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,574 Posts
Quote:
Tom & Kirby.

So I think if the Folks from Dallas did not come to the show there might be another reason.
It is the distance and a function of the attractiveness/coolness of the event....We have found the same thing to be true at many local model events....the further it is from Dallas, the fewer from Dallas that attend.
The hardcore guys will always attend, no matter where it is in the metroplex.

But, you need more than the hardcore enthusiast...you need a volume of people.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:05 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
It is the distance and a function of the attractiveness/coolness of the event....We have found the same thing to be true at many local model events....the further it is from Dallas, the fewer from Dallas that attend.
The hardcore guys will always attend, no matter where it is in the metroplex.

But, you need more than the hardcore enthusiast...you need a volume of people.
If it was not for the indoor flying I would more than likely not made the trip over. So it really is just the distance for me and most others I am sure.
Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:11 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,574 Posts
I am going to toss out some other ideas....

Have a large raffle with a LOT of vendor supplied prizes...make this huge and it will draw people. Have it benefit the hobby or a worthy organization in some way. It will take a lot of work to get stuff from the vendors. However, this is a way for the vendors not present to participate. The prizes donated could be displayed in a special area, with vendor literature available next to the prizes.

Just to keep the interest up among the vendors, have a vendor only raffle for 1, perhaps 2, maybe even three standard booth spaces....that way, a lucky vendor or two might win back the cost of their booth.

You need a GOOD sound system and someone with a golden tongue on the microphone to announce the flying and to highlight different vendor booths verbally and forums like the CDRom motor class. They should also announce the raffle. This was already mentioned, but cannot be overlooked.

A cool event T-shirt or hat would be a money maker.

What other innovation things could be done to crate more draw?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:14 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople
Basically, give pilots the same repspect and entry priviledges as vendors, charge $25 to fly all weekend and forgo the entry fee. I think there were as many people watching the flying as there were wandering the booths.

Kirby
I completely agree with that. Vendor reps would of course fly free, as they paid big for a booth space. Instead of 14 bucks net from us, they would gain 11 more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:29 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
We had a great show and stayed very busy. My suggestions are:

Bigger flying area
Announce seminars, etc. on a PA system
Raffle
Do the best you can to get cheaper food (not easy, I know)

On another note, we did show specials. We lowered the prices on several airplanes, but those weren't the ones that sold. The ones that sold were at our regular store prices.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2005, 04:37 PM
is it flying time?
Wyandotte Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
2,777 Posts
Just a suggestion, put up a sign outside to let people know where the show is. Perhaps there was one but I sure didn't see it. Overall, I thought the show was good but the lack of customers did hurt vendors. Electricity in the booths would have been nice for those who were also flying demo flights. Slightly larger booths would also be nice, at times it was hard to get back into the booth from a potty break if there were more than 2 people looking at the display.

Jerry
Jerry Combs is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Combs
Old Nov 17, 2005, 05:28 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,574 Posts
I would certainly like a bigger flying area, but as we are staying there, it is going to be tough to arrange, due to the inherent position of the support columns.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2005, 06:01 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Personally,
I am always in favor of a bigger flying area. But the only time I thought the flying space got really cramped was when we were asked to keep to the right end of the hall to give room for the 3d guys and then also keep to the left to give room to the guys flying the little itty bitty ones. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind doing it and I feel we all should have access to the air space no matter what we fly. But it did seem like it was getting a bit tight in there. Perhaps we could have more than one flying area divided by flying types; one area for heli hovering and 3D stuff, another for micro stuff, etc. We could also have time division for some areas.

I know, it is a tough call and no matter what you do, you won't please everyone. Sometimes if you throw enough ideas out, one will stick.

Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Nov 17, 2005, 06:15 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I didn't fly this year, but I was glad to see that the rules were relaxed over the last one I attended (in Arlington). Had I known it I would have brought some planes along to fly

My first impression on walking in was I was looking at a big, mostly empty hallway. I thought, "where is everyone?" When I walked in SWAC in Arlington, it seemed like a beehive of activity. It appeared there were tons of vendors, all kinds of people milling about, micro planes flying over the vendors, a blimp, etc. It was EXCITING! The flying area was off to the side and seemed secondary to the vendors (as it should be at SWAC). At this year's event, there were acres of empty space. The whole swap area was way on the other side of the building in another room, but there was more than enough empty space that it could have been off to the side of the vendors. Plus it would have helped make the space feel "busy". There was a plane display area, but I guess no one knew that would be there as there were only half a dozen planes on display even though there were dozens of tables allocated (another big empty area!) Some of the vendors were clear on the end where you couldn't even see them. I walked through several times before I realized Superfly R/C was even at the show! So my suggestions are:

- Put the swap meet in the same room as the vendors. Put them at the back to help drive traffic past the vendors.

- Organize the vendors for better visibility.

- Reduce all the empty floor space, put up curtains or something so customers aren't left with the impression that it's a bad vendor turnout.

- Make it more inviting. Put up signs outdoors and at the entry into the space. This year it was like entering a private club!

Somehow more people and vendors need to be enticed into going. Maybe more vendors will follow if more people show. The hardcore R/C guys are already going, we need to figure out how to get the casual R/Cers there, or even people who are just thinking about R/C. Perhaps it might help to have handouts at local hobby shops for people to pick up.

I enjoy the show and will of course continue going, but I would love to see it grow into a massive event
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright