HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:45 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,523 Posts
Poor Access

Please make it easier to bring lots of models to the show. I arrived with friends and unloaded via the docks. Then, I was told to get out because I was not a vendor. Nobody told me I had to be a vendor to use the docks until I already DID it. Then, I was stuck with trying to get 31 models loaded back into the car after the show by taking two or three at a time to the car, the LONG way around (because of securitry?) the front of the building and to the parking in BACK. Too old for this kind of workout. If access insn't improved, I won't be back. By the way, if you blame everything on "security" and make access difficult, it seems to me that the terrorists have won! All the security in the world is not going to protect everyone, so how about using a little COMMON SENSE!

Gary Jones
Clovis, New Mexico
425 miles each way
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Last edited by sr71fan; Nov 17, 2005 at 06:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:17 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
!!!
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Last edited by UAVPilot; Dec 14, 2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:04 AM
I'm Earl
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71fan
By the way, if you blame everything on "security" and make access difficult, it seems to me that the terrorists have won! All the security in the world is not going to protect everyone, so how about using a little COMMON SENSE!

Gary Jones
Clovis, New Mexico
425 miles each way
Gary

It is a liability issue, more than a security one. The convention center regulation requires that the back doors remain closed from 15mins before the show starts until the official show closing time. I also briefed Bob to let the pilots know not to use the back doors during show hours after I saw a few folks leaving through the back doors, which are in the middle of the flight zone, during the show. Based on Fire regulation we are limited to 10 vehicles, at one time, in the hall during setup/tear down.

So who should have the priority to drive in?
Hobbygroup is offline Find More Posts by Hobbygroup
Old Nov 17, 2005, 09:42 AM
Garland , Texas
Joined Sep 2003
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbygroup
Gary

It is a liability issue, more than a security one. The convention center regulation requires that the back doors remain closed from 15mins before the show starts until the official show closing time. I also briefed Bob to let the pilots know not to use the back doors during show hours after I saw a few folks leaving through the back doors, which are in the middle of the flight zone, during the show. Based on Fire regulation we are limited to 10 vehicles, at one time, in the hall during setup/tear down.

So who should have the priority to drive in?

sounds to me like your are making excuses for people not being able to attend with there gear. You want this show to grow then you had better make it as pilot friendly as humanly possable. if that means finding a venue that is more supportive then so be it cus if it remains as is I wont be back again next year. need more venders (what 10-15 venders tops) NO advertisement/ marketing done. only way I found out about it was word of mouth at my local flying field. all in all i was very disappointed.
dalelvn is offline Find More Posts by dalelvn
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:03 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Okay, fine so we can use the loading area up to 15 minutes before the show, however, that was not posted on the web site for pilots to be there early for ease of loading.

FYI: Employees were using these doors all day in and out. I am sure they have an agreement with the facility, but what would the AMA say about one of these guys getting beaned in the head. Sooooo, allow pilots 5 minutes each to unload which is not a problem at all. With time managment, this will easily not be a problem. Give the vedors 7 of the 10 spots and pilots the other 3. The other option was to use one of the side doors as a pilots only entrance.

Basically, give pilots the same repspect and entry priviledges as vendors, charge $25 to fly all weekend and forgo the entry fee. I think there were as many people watching the flying as there were wandering the booths.

Lots of options here, just be sure to remember that the pilots buy a lot of stuff too, and because they are part of your draw, they should not be treated as dogs. As I recall the CA guy sold out of FS CA on friday. I know I spent several hundred dollars amongst Tanic, Zurich, and several others.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:55 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
!!!
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Last edited by UAVPilot; Dec 14, 2005 at 01:24 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:36 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,220 Posts
Lots of good comments so far.

I am going to chime in and say that as much as I like the venue being in Fort Worth, I think having it there works against the event a little bit.

The more centrally located venue in Arlington was probably a little better in some ways....closer to more people in Dallas county. However, it appears to be a done deal for Ft. Worth next year.

The real key is to make the event exciting and attractive enough that location does not matter.

Some good points about the flying logistics are being made. However, this first TCCC event was a learning experience for both the management and the attendees.

It is not uncommon to run into a lot of silly rules and regulations at convention centers during events like this.....they can be incredibly furstrating. Trust me..this event was rule free compared to things like the Farnborough air show.. Sometimes, some of the venue rules are not known to the organisers before the event starts. It would not be fair to completely blame Hobbygroups for all that transpired this time, logistically. Now we know and can be more prepared.

Perhaps we can organise something like a golf cart with a trailer attached to shuttle the pilots and equipment back and forth.

I for one am going to bring some type of little red wagon next year...

Perhaps the venue can be compelled to treat the pilots and swap shop folks more like vendors.

One more thing....lets try hard to keep the tone of the discussion as freindly as possible, and the criticism as constructive as possible.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 17, 2005, 12:11 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,228 Posts
Cap'n Ron,

If there are so many complaints from the people that make the show what it is ( or should be) why not find a "vendor friendly" venue that will provide the flexibility that is needed? Seems to me that these guys that are participating in these shows should be catered to and appreciated - not given the run-around. What would make them want to come back next year?

-Stuart
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Nov 17, 2005, 01:16 PM
I'm Earl
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalelvn
sounds to me like your are making excuses for people not being able to attend with there gear.
There is a difference between excuses and explaining the rules of the convention center. But if sound like an excuse please accept my apology
Old Nov 17, 2005, 01:21 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
were there too many scheduling conflicts with the Arligton convention center?
it did not seem too bad with regards to pilots and the central location was a big difference in attendance. I only saw 4 people from Dallas that I know, where as when it was in Arlington there were at least 10-15 people I flew with that attended.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Nov 17, 2005, 01:24 PM
I'm Earl
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople
FYI: Employees were using these doors all day in and out. I am sure they have an agreement with the facility, but what would the AMA say about one of these guys getting beaned in the head.
Kirby

I called and the Local convention center contact numerous times regarding the convention center staff using these doors. They even posted signs in each entry way not to use them. I guess they canít read.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 01:39 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Hey guys,
I just found this thread. I hope I can be helpful here. I think access for vendors and pilots is a necessary thing. I don't know how you can do it, but it needs to be done. I only brought one little plane with me and minimal gear. So I did not mind parking in the parking lot and carrying my stuff. But I could see how that would be a real big pain if I had brought lots of stuff.

I was a bit disappointed at the vendor turnout. But all in all I had a blast. I will be back. I am not sure what you can do to attract vendors. One complaint I heard from a friend of mine (who was a vendor) was that the setup time for vendors on Thursday closed very early. This forced him to arrive much earlier than otherwise necessary just to set up and then just sit there. The thing about many of these smaller vendors is that they do this as a side job. Many have full time jobs outside of the hobby and taking extra time off can be difficult.

Also, I think I would like to add my support for a Saturday/Sunday schedule. Friday really did not do anything for me. Perhaps a Friday could be for vendors only? Then the general public could be allowed in on Saturday and Sunday. It would give a chance to the vendors to roam around and talk with each other without having to worry about tending to customers.

Just a thought.

Joe

Looking forward to SWAC '06!
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:13 PM
Pro Bro #1008
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Sep 2003
4,670 Posts
i heard form one of the "big time" vendors (not present at SWAC) that the reason they did not come was because there were several other "big" shows in the preceding weeks...and that no one was willing to travel for this show...i would suggest searching the calendar and changing to an "easier" time as compared to other shows that were just held...you will not see this vendor here next year either...and unfortunately, it is one of the vendors we REALLY want to have there...i would definatly try to find a better date...holidays are kind of close, so maybe lots of people were not willing to give up Thanksgiving days off or something...

anyways...just my $.02
birdie_in_texas is offline Find More Posts by birdie_in_texas
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:32 PM
I'm Earl
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepople
were there too many scheduling conflicts with the Arligton convention center?
it did not seem too bad with regards to pilots and the central location was a big difference in attendance. I only saw 4 people from Dallas that I know, where as when it was in Arlington there were at least 10-15 people I flew with that attended.

Kirby
Tom & Kirby.

The Dates Arlington had were the first, second and third weekend week of Oct Ė Basically during DEAF, BEST and IHobbyExpo (RCTHA Show). Gary Jones came From NM we had many folks form KS, OK, LA, AR, MS, TN, CO and other folk that drove hours in the great state of Texas to get to the show

So I think if the Folks from Dallas did not come to the show there might be another reason.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 02:38 PM
I'm Earl
Home
Joined Apr 2004
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie_in_texas
i heard form one of the "big time" vendors (not present at SWAC) that the reason they did not come was because there were several other "big" shows in the preceding weeks...and that no one was willing to travel for this show...i would suggest searching the calendar and changing to an "easier" time as compared to other shows that were just held...you will not see this vendor here next year either...and unfortunately, it is one of the vendors we REALLY want to have there...i would definatly try to find a better date...holidays are kind of close, so maybe lots of people were not willing to give up Thanksgiving days off or something...

anyways...just my $.02
The only "Big Name" was Castle Creastions that did not Schedule it this year but Patrick and Shawn promised they will be here in 2006.

If you know of a vendor that you like, please contact them and ask them to come to the show. You are their customers and have more power to bring them to the event.