SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by new flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 09:15 AM
Registered User
ratb's Avatar
Joined Jan 2007
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody429924
What does "tip stall" mean?
It's when the outermost tip of a wing stalls, and the rest of the wing doesn't. Many wings have different stall speeds at different positions on the wing. I know we generally think of the wing as a single lift-producing apparatus, but it's not so. Some wings have up-turned tips or different amounts of washout.

The point is, you can get into a position, usually during a turn or at low speeds, where the one tip of the wing is not moving fast enough to produce lift. When that happens, the plane will roll uncontrollably toward the tip that is stalled, and it can be a very dangerous situation. Tip stalls are frequently followed by death spirals.
ratb is offline Find More Posts by ratb
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2007, 02:54 AM
Warbird Junkie
woody429924's Avatar
Joined Jan 2007
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratb
It's when the outermost tip of a wing stalls, and the rest of the wing doesn't. Many wings have different stall speeds at different positions on the wing. I know we generally think of the wing as a single lift-producing apparatus, but it's not so. Some wings have up-turned tips or different amounts of washout.

The point is, you can get into a position, usually during a turn or at low speeds, where the one tip of the wing is not moving fast enough to produce lift. When that happens, the plane will roll uncontrollably toward the tip that is stalled, and it can be a very dangerous situation. Tip stalls are frequently followed by death spirals.
Thanks. I have seen that happen, but now I know the name.
woody429924 is offline Find More Posts by woody429924
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:58 PM
Wind blows
Laggard's Avatar
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
What does negative and positive shift mean?
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 05:27 PM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Rickochet's Avatar
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet
I keep seeing the term "prop speed." Is this the same as RPM?
No answers to this one yet?
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 06:35 PM
Registered User
MADISON WI
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
here's another one

What does dihedral mean?
MSTORE is offline Find More Posts by MSTORE
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:06 AM
Registered User
ratb's Avatar
Joined Jan 2007
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTORE
What does dihedral mean?
The amount of "V" angle in a plane's wing.

Trainers generally have high wings and significant dihedral. This keeps the center of mass below the center of lift, which makes the plane relatively stable and docile.
ratb is offline Find More Posts by ratb
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:01 PM
A&P Mechanic
.Jessica.'s Avatar
Southgate, MI; USA
Joined Mar 2007
3 Posts
Mstore: Dihedral is formed in the wings to give the aircraft better roll stability.

Can someone tell me more about this buddy box system?? It sounds like something I definitely need to check out! Is it something most LHSs have in stock?
.Jessica. is offline Find More Posts by .Jessica.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:20 PM
Frequent Flyer
wattsup_kz's Avatar
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Jessica.
Can someone tell me more about this buddy box system?? It sounds like something I definitely need to check out! Is it something most LHSs have in stock?
The buddy box system allows an instructor and student to hold separate transmitters. The student TX has control only when the instructor holds down the trainer switch. When the student has trouble, the instructor releases the switch and takes over. No LHS around here stocks them.

If you have one Futaba TX already, or Two Futaba TXs :
Buddy Box or Trainer Cord for Futaba

At some point Futaba changed from a round to a square connector. Verify before ordering.

If you have 2 Hitec TXs:
Trainer Cord for Hitec

For 2 JR TXs:
Trainer Cord for JR
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 08:37 PM
A&P Mechanic
.Jessica.'s Avatar
Southgate, MI; USA
Joined Mar 2007
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsup_kz
If you have one Futaba TX already, or Two Futaba TXs :
Buddy Box or Trainer Cord for Futaba

At some point Futaba changed from a round to a square connector. Verify before ordering.

If you have 2 Hitec TXs:
Trainer Cord for Hitec

For 2 JR TXs:
Trainer Cord for JR
All that I own currently is what came straight out of my HobbyZone RTF Super Cub kit. However, I can pass all this information on to my boyfriend and he can probably take it from there. I think this would be perfect, since this is my first time flying, and he is very experienced with RCs. Thank you!!
.Jessica. is offline Find More Posts by .Jessica.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2007, 06:44 PM
New RC flyer addict
Mexico
Joined Apr 2007
7 Posts
Hi,

I am up tu but a easystar RTF kit that includes a hitec 3CH tx RX

What about the system compatibilities?

Can I use a Futaba TX and a hitec rx?

What about the servos?


Thx,

Armando
Esparrago is offline Find More Posts by Esparrago
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2007, 08:08 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esparrago
Hi,

I am up tu but a easystar RTF kit that includes a hitec 3CH tx RX

What about the system compatibilities?

Can I use a Futaba TX and a hitec rx?

What about the servos?


Thx,

Armando
An RTF Easy Star comes with the receiver, ESC and servos already installed in the plane. It comes with a Hitec transmitter. Nothing for you to select or install.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:41 AM
Registered User
Crescent Beach BC
Joined Apr 2007
109 Posts
BUMP = Bring Up My Post
jimsz is offline Find More Posts by jimsz
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2007, 07:01 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
ok, another one that I keep seeing and cant figure out

CG

(stupid planes, im completly clueless as of now, but I do realize this may shape into a VERY expensive hobby)
Veldrane is offline Find More Posts by Veldrane
Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 10:26 AM
The Dude Abides
Beemus's Avatar
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
How about the different prefixes to the brushed motors?
IPS (indoor power systems)
LPS?
EDF?
I know I am missing some....
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus
Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 10:43 AM
BD Flyer's Avatar
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veldrane
ok, another one that I keep seeing and cant figure out

CG

(stupid planes, im completly clueless as of now, but I do realize this may shape into a VERY expensive hobby)
CG - Center of Gravity

This hobby is expensive, but it is VERY fun!
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools