HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by new flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,425 Posts
Yep.
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Thanks.

Y'know, this thread has gotten so long that it's shear size has invalidated it's purpose: to provide a single place that a beginner can go to look up that strange and unknown RC term. No beginner is going to read through 27 pages of posts just to find one word. It may be high time (pun intended) for someone to go through this and make an actual dictionary alphabetically arranged, on one page so that it will actually be useful.

Perhaps an Admin. who can lock it yet still access it at any time for updates as necessary?
Most PC's come with a "Find" function. If you press and hold the control key "Ctrl" on your keyboard and then press "f" you'll get a tool bar at the top of your page. You can then type in the word you're looking for. If the word is listed on that page it will be highlighted. Pressing "next" allows you to quickly scan each listing for that word on any given page. The tool bar stays at the top of the page until you close it, so the command will carry through as you navigate to succeeding pages by pressing "next".
omega262 is offline Find More Posts by omega262
Last edited by omega262; Sep 08, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
The beginnner dictionary is helpful
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Old Nov 20, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
Those definitions help me out alot!! Is there any place for assembly instructions for electronics that I can look at while assembling tomake sure I am doing it right?
roberrwhite68 is offline Find More Posts by roberrwhite68
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:04 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
331 Posts
Holy crap!!!! My head is spinning. I just read through this entire thread. This is some good stuff. The amount of info contained in this thread alone is great. Answered a lot of questions that I had. Thanks to all that have contributed to it.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:05 AM
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Super great.
super2012 is offline Find More Posts by super2012
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:48 PM
Microbiology at it's best.
Waverly, Nebr.
Joined Apr 2009
252 Posts
This thread is absolutely great, I have learned so much along with the reinforcement of basic principles. The last vids show what is totally possible and can set the newbee's sight on what is possible. I am moving from nitro (which I have built for over 10 yrs) to electric. If you have the bucks, the UAV or FPV are a dream come true.
beerbrewer is offline Find More Posts by beerbrewer
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
I am a newbie here and this thread really helps! I will have to keep coming back here
Goldie B is offline Find More Posts by Goldie B
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:56 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Are gearboxes used on both outrunner & inrunner motors ? Does the gearbox come automatically with the motor sometimes or you have to buy it all the time ?
Last why would you put a gearbox on an motor that could run without one - if that makes any sense ?
Thank you
V is offline Find More Posts by V
Last edited by V; Dec 07, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:24 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,441 Posts
V, this thread is mostly intended to be a compilation of terms that new pilots may find useful. I'll answer your questions here, but in the future it would be more advisable to use the site's search function and then start a thread if you don't find answers.

Both inrunners and outrunners can use gearboxes, but it's much more common to use an inrunner. This is mostly because outrunners can be made with low-enough Kvs to drive props directly, whereas inrunners generally have much higher Kv values.

Some motors do include gearboxes or are sold as package deals, but in general they're purchased as separate components.

As for gearing a motor that can be run direct-drive, it's all a function of effective Kv. You can technically run a 3500Kv inrunner with a direct-drive prop, but it would have to be a very tiny prop to keep the current down. By using a gearbox, you can reduce the effective Kv of the system and use bigger props that are suitable for more applications. A 2:1 gear ratio would give a shaft output of 1750 RPM/volt with the 3500Kv motor from above; 5:1 would effectively be 700Kv. Unlike brushless outrunners, inrunners with gearboxes give you the advantage of optimizing the effective Kv by simply switching pinions. The tradeoff is increased cost and more parts to break in a crash (though you are less likely to damage the motor itself).

Again, if you have any further questions or comments on the subject feel free to PM me to keep this thread from getting too cluttered up. You can also use the site search feature; it's surprisingly handy.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:51 PM
V
USA
Joined Mar 2009
392 Posts
Wow TP16 !!!
Now that's the kinda response that hits it out of the ball park completely !
One more thing that I can scratch off my RC knowledge list
Thank you very much
V
V is offline Find More Posts by V
Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:52 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
I see the term "brick" used frequently in rc forums. The way it's used in a sentence seems like it has something to do with a receiver (Rx). I did a "Search this Thread" and didn't find it. Can someone provide a definition? Thanks.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:46 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,425 Posts
Got me? The ultra micro stuff from Horizon hobby has the receiver, servos, and esc all in one unit. They may be referring to that? Or they could mean they burned it up somehow and bricked it.(turned a working piece of tech into a non working piece). Other than that I have know idea.
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:29 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,156 Posts
brick

brick is used to mention an assembly that includes receiver, esc and servos, like horizon's 6400 used on ultra micros like the champ, sukhoi, mustang and the like.
the idea is to simplify the installation so 1 unit mounts easier than several of them separately-and ends up being lighter, too.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Jan 01, 2012, 08:19 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Thanks Phil.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933