HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by new flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:22 AM
Montgomery al
Joined May 2008
55 Posts
extra stuff to buy with first plane.
this from experience.
Extra props at least 4 or more if you going learn on your own.
Extra batteries. Sucks to only be able to fly once a day.
Rubber bands if you model use them.
Spinner this depends on model. the Hobby Lobby Decathlon spinner cracks easy.
JASPERRDM is offline Find More Posts by JASPERRDM
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2008, 09:31 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,425 Posts
I just found this thread that answered my scale question. I think No Limits was pretty close in his answer. All it means is that there are scale plans for what ever scale, 1:9 scale then those plans are blown up some percentage, 200%. So a 200% f-18 is only in reference to the original plans at 1:9 scale and not any other plans or scales, I think.
I better stop, now I am confusing myself again
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434244
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:41 AM
Flyin' High!
Joined Jul 2008
42 Posts
How do you find out the wing chord on an rc airplane?
hotdog14 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog14
Old Sep 27, 2008, 03:57 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,425 Posts
Measure from leading edge to trailing edge. Chord is just how wide your wing is. If its a delta or swept wing its a little harder.
This should help
http://www.palosrc.com/instructors/cg.htm
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Nov 07, 2008, 03:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
143 Posts
TREE- any one of the large, woody plants which, contrary to popular belief, are in fact carnivorous, with their diet consisting mainly of foam, plastic, small bits of metal, and radio control aircraft in general. Although they may appear stationary, trees have been known to move several feet in the direction of your aircraft in an attempt to snatch it as an easy meal.
Mac Obsessed is offline Find More Posts by Mac Obsessed
Old Nov 09, 2008, 07:23 PM
Airforce Nut
Littlestown, Pennsylvania
Joined Sep 2007
500 Posts
haha, nice!

-CJ
No Limits is offline Find More Posts by No Limits
Old Nov 09, 2008, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
ROW - Rise off water

DLG - Discus Launch Glider

Radio Mode 1 - Left Stick Up Down = Elevator, Left Stick Right Left = Rudder, Right Stick Up Down = Throttle, Right Stick Right Left = Aileron (This mode is typical in Europe)

Radio Mode 2 - Left Stick Up Down = Throttle, Left Stick Right Left = Rudder, Right Stick Up Down = Elevator, Right Stick Right Left = Aileron (This mode is typical in the US)

JST - Type of connector for 10A or less

Sermos/PowerPole - Type of Connector for up to 90A+

Deans - Type of Connector for up to 90A+

FF - Free-Flight (no power system)

Elevon - Radio mixing setting where 2 servos, one on each wing, control aileron and elevator

Flapperon - Radio mixing setting where 2 servos, one on each wing, control aileron and flaps

V-Tail - Radio mixing setting where 2 servos, one on each side of the tail control surfaces (in a v-shape) control aileron and rudder.

Dual-Rates - Radio feature that allows adjustment of the maximum throws of the control surfaces to be changed with the flip of a swtich.

Expo - Radio feature that allows the control surfaces to be "toned down" so that even with large stick movements, the sufaces can have less movement. Typically this feature can also be changed with a flip of a swtich.

AMA - Academy of Model Aeronautics is an R/C association founded in 1936

UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (controlled at a distance through a camera)

FPV - First Person View (the method by which you control your UAV)

CA - Cyanoacrylate - Type of glue that can be used with accelerator to glue foam, wood and lots of other stuff R/C. Please note: You want to buy the FOAM SAFE stuff or it may eat your foam!

Accelerator - Quick hardening spray for CA glue

CG or CoG - Center of Gravity (balance point on the plane)

PWM - Pulse Width Modulation. This is a technical term associated with ESC's that has to do with how long the pulse stays on every cycle. It should be adjusted to match the motor you're using (see your motor documentation)

Prop Adapter - Usually a metal collar that attaches to the end of the motor to connect the prop to the motor. Prop is attached using a nut or collet.

Prop Saver - Usually a metal collar that attaches to the end of the motor to connect the prop to the motor. Prop is attached using an o-ring or series of rubber bands that allow the prop to deflect when it hits the ground (usually saving the prop).

CC - Castle Creations - US based ESC manufacturer

Glitch - Radio interference or an excuse for pilot error

PEC - Push-E-Cat - Model of plane (I don't know how this got it's own acronym, but it took me a while to figure out what it meant, only ever seen it here on RCG)

Negative Shift - RX & TX term for how the signal is generated. Some Receivers (Berg, VamPowerPro, Corona) will work with all brands of 72 MHz radios, but if it specifies Negative shift, that's for Futaba and Hitech. This does not apply to 2.4Ghz systems

Positive Shift - RX & TX term for how the signal is generated. Some Receivers (Berg, VamPowerPro, Corona) will work with all brands of 72 MHz radios, but if it specifies Positive shift, that's for JR and Airtronics/Sanwa. This does not apply to 2.4Ghz systems

72Mhz - Radio frequency - Channels 11-60

2.4Ghz - Radio frequency - Channels don't apply. No need for crystals.

Prop Speed - RPM of the prop, not the RPM of the plane.

4D - Means the plane has collective pitch on the prop. Gives the pilot the ability to actually fly the plane backwards! Typically, the prop has a fixed speed and the blades pivot to vary the speed of the plane.

SF - Prop rating - Slow Flier (used on low prop speed applications)

MAH - Milliamp Hours - Specifies how many amps your battery can put out for an hour. This is not the same as C rating which has to do with how fast the battery can deliver the power. 1,000 MAH = 1 AMP for 1 hour.

C Rating - Battery output capacity (two ratings listed, contintinuous and burst) - Typically only shown on LiPo batteries, this number has to do with how fast the current can be delivered. A 10C, 2,000 MAH pack can deliver a max of 10 X 2 = 20A. If it's a 10C continuous, 15C burst, then 20A continuous and 30A burst (5 seconds or it will start to overheat).
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Last edited by HappyKillmore; Nov 09, 2008 at 09:58 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:53 AM
go flyin or die tryin
grafton, West Virginia, United States
Joined Jun 2004
921 Posts
hey guys just wanted to thank you all for keeping this thread going. it has a ton of info for beginners and i think it should help most.......also i wanted to apologize for not editing it anymore. i joined the navy and am in school to be an electronics technician so i have little or no time to work on it. so thank you all and keep up the good work.
new flyer is offline Find More Posts by new flyer
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7 Posts
what is a good brushless motor for 75 watts per pound = mild to moderate aerobatics, i want to upgrade the 360 nonbrushless that i have on my piper cub
matt90 is offline Find More Posts by matt90
Old Jan 24, 2009, 05:45 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt90
what is a good brushless motor for 75 watts per pound = mild to moderate aerobatics, i want to upgrade the 360 nonbrushless that i have on my piper cub
It would depend on how much the plane weighs.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:24 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
It would depend on how much the plane weighs.
this is the plane http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercub.html
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:32 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7 Posts
it is 514 G the weight
Old Mar 15, 2009, 03:29 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
New term: What is an "Opto"?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Mar 15, 2009, 04:01 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,643 Posts
http://www.medusaproducts.com/Opto/opto001.htm
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Apr 02, 2009, 07:09 PM
old guys can fly too!
Joined Dec 2008
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by new flyer
hey guys just wanted to thank you all for keeping this thread going. it has a ton of info for beginners and i think it should help most.......also i wanted to apologize for not editing it anymore. i joined the navy and am in school to be an electronics technician so i have little or no time to work on it. so thank you all and keep up the good work.
agreed, very helpful thread
Tmac89 is offline Find More Posts by Tmac89