HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2002, 11:04 PM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Flew my m-100 powered And_Now in the morning, followed by two packs through my Vertical RC Katana. (Finally got it to hover for a short time).

Later in the day, more Katana, the IFO MK3, and the Gym-E in the front yard as the sun went down.

Could be a lot worse....
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2002, 11:28 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
First flight for GWS Pico with Fuse

Hey Gang!

As a newbie my success, until the TM, was limited. I started this year after getting the bug from a free flight plane given to me a xmas.

I have had good success with the GWS TM, over a dozen flights so far and no real damage. A few props and a popped wing strut.

My lhs had the PICO Fuse on sale for $40.00 bucks (Canadian!).

I got two! Even the power plant and gear box retail for $30.00 buck here in Canada land.

Well the Pico with fuse flew great. Faster than the TM. I overdid the epoxy on the control surfaces and with the addition of a tail wheel she was very heavy on that end.

So I used elastics to hold the battery to the fuse right under the cowl. Even had to have the pack jut out a bit, almost even with the gear box, to get the CG.

First toss, off she went . A little quick up trim and the figure 8ís were happening. Snappy turns after I set the Expo. For the next flight. Flew four times, all without damage!

Unable to ROG with the Pico as the gear/wheels I put on just could not handle the weight. Time to change wheels.

Not as much for glide on landing, just got to get use to the quicker descent compared to the TM.

I did bust out the TM for the last flight of the evening. Take off and landing from pavement, no problemo! Love that moth! Even do the odd loop now.

Not bad for a self taught newbie. I have really appreciated this forum, great people and good advice!

Happy landing all!

HH

TM
Pico
Mini Max
GWS Cub
Just waiting for that Beaver
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Old May 27, 2002, 01:06 AM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
Weird. Perfect flying weather worldwide, or what?

I had plans for most of my small fleet today, but spent the better part of the day doing splash-n-goes at the lake with the Soarstar on floaties. I had so much fun, I'm considering cancelling tomorrow's plans to do more of the same! Man, I just can't get enough of this float flying thing.

-chris
freq is offline Find More Posts by freq
Old May 27, 2002, 01:14 AM
AeroMicro
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Sep 2001
713 Posts
I flew the following today.

1. GWS Zero:

http://www.rcgroups.com/cgi-bin/phot...x.pl?photo=406

2. GWS Tiger Moth:

http://www.rcgroups.com/cgi-bin/phot...x.pl?photo=103

3. Crazy Sparrow:

http://www.rcgroups.com/cgi-bin/phot...x.pl?photo=405

4. Lil Hornet:

Will post picture after its 1000 flights and it's at 992 flights now.

GoEFlight is offline Find More Posts by GoEFlight
Old May 27, 2002, 01:21 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I flew a Zagi, crashed a Skimmer!

Hey Tres, we need to get together sometime so I can see your newest cool little plane.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old May 27, 2002, 09:25 AM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I got my Zero all fixed up yesterday and took her out last evening for a perfect flight. I flew it again this morning for another (almost) perfect flight before it started to rain. I think all the extra glue and tape in the nose area makes it fly better
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
Old May 27, 2002, 09:47 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
This morning I peeked outside and the trees were swaying like crazy. Now THAT is what I'm used to seeing in the mornings

Chris, I love that funky Soarstar on floats! My in-laws live on a lake, I've toyed with the idea of keeping an R/C float plane out there. Seems like their place is really affected with wind-itis though!

Kirby, that would be great! They are supposed to start holding that Zagi-Palooza event every month, maybe we could meet there. I went to the last one and it looked like so much fun that I will have to get a Zagi now! Don't fly your Twinjet in the combat contest though Dajudge did and ended up with a pretty beat up and non-flyable TJ in short order. I don't know, to me it seemed like he was bring a knife to a gunfight
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old May 27, 2002, 06:34 PM
Billings, MT
Joined Apr 2002
30 Posts
what I fly

This is a somewhat customized hobbico aero cruiser. The black paint on the wings and tail are a personal touch. It helps keep the airplane more visible when it's up at altitude so I can see what it's doing. In the basic stock yellow it can get difficult at times to tell what the aircraft is doing when she's a ways off. The stock 380 power plant was replaced with a graupner 6v 400. This particular plane is one of many aero cruisers (trashed a few learning how to fly) I have owned. Cheap, easy to replace. Unfortunately this series of pictures was the last I will take of this one: it nosed into the ground due to a nasty gust of wind that snapped it onto it's side while at a low altitude leaving me very little recovery time. Oh well, I managed to get almost 30 flights out of this one. Here in Billings MT it is almost impossible to find an afternoon that is wind free. Evenings and mornings are recommended flying times (learned this the hard way). The field I fly at is right next to the yellowstone river and interstate 90. Not the best locale I know but it's hard to do better without travelling far out of town. Let me know what you think of my plane (even if it's bad). I am getting one more aero cruiser to replace this broken one and then it's on to a new plane: probably a multiplex cargo.
ohoffman10 is offline Find More Posts by ohoffman10
Old May 27, 2002, 06:37 PM
Billings, MT
Joined Apr 2002
30 Posts
another shot of the cruiser

This time she's airborne (ie, pre-crash).

Old May 27, 2002, 06:40 PM
Billings, MT
Joined Apr 2002
30 Posts
one more cruiser shot

This one shows a little bit of the field I fly in w/the river and interstate nearby. The dirt road in the background is a decent place to land but it isn't completely level.
Old May 28, 2002, 10:59 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
ohoffman10, looks like a nice plane. Sorry to hear about its untimely meeting with terra firma! Can you not repair it?

Back in the days when all my planes were balsa, if I cracked one up I'd look at it at the crash site and be convinced it was beyond repair. But, I would still pick up all the pieces, take it all home and put it in a corner somewhere. After a week or so, I'd look at it again. It's amazing how almost anything can be repaired after a "cooling off" period!
Old May 28, 2002, 01:56 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
I'm late to the party with this flight report but here goes:

I got the wife and kids all loaded up early saturday morning and we headed to the empty field near our local hobby store. Winds were perfect with just a light breeze and we flew:
tigermoth - 3 batteries bout 30 min
stik fd - 2 batteries bout 20 min
mini-z - 2 batteries bout 15 min

Tigermoth spent half its time chasing and being chased by my 10 year old son flying the fd. His plane is faster but my tmoth is more manuverable so lots of cases where he runs me down only to have me loop or climb to a stall and slip behind him...Loads of fun!

Next was the mini-z, a little scratch built v-wing that I fly whenever the itch strikes. I flew it last so the wind was starting to pick up by then but I was still able to get some fun flying time in. Only thing to note was the last flight where I dead sticked it into a landing that literally slid into my feet!

Overall, it was a great morning of flying. The only casualty was one broken prop when my 8 year old soloed with dads tigermoth. He got his left and right mixed up and let the plane get too close to a nearby road so dad bit his lip and nosed the tmoth in. Only damage was broken prop and one strut popped loose from wing. A most excellant flying day for the family.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old May 28, 2002, 03:22 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,297 Posts
Hey guys

Nice photos and flight stories. Sorry about the Cub. Hopefully it will rise again !

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old May 28, 2002, 03:46 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Matt, that's great that your son is in the game with you! My daughters have expressed no interest in flying at all. I've taken them to the field a few times, but they're more interested in gathering rocks than having a go at the sticks
Old May 28, 2002, 04:12 PM
Missoula, MT
Joined Oct 2001
420 Posts
I flew the Dare 1903 Wright Flyer twice today. Once in zero wind and very high humidity this morning before work. Dew on the grass made for a nice greasy landing. The second flight was during recess (I'm a teacher) at about 12:00 in light variable breezes. Climbed up to about 100 feet and then glided down. The flyer has a terrible L/D but a very slow sink rate. A cross wind caught it on landing and made for not such a pretty touch down but no damage was done. Who needs wheels?
sky guy is offline Find More Posts by sky guy