HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2006, 01:16 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
When you finally get tired of waiting, the only choices left are to either spend lots of money, or start cutting your own. I chose the latter. I hot-wired this one out of scrap foam. Power (for the moment) is a pair of Speed 280s swinging 6X3 folders with a 3s 1500 LiPo providing current.

The in-flight shot is before painting.
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2006, 01:45 PM
FLY PEMBREY (PFC)
Wales (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
408 Posts
Nice model Balsa

Like the folders
guys stay cool this thread has really gone way off topic (Im probably to blame also)
although I suppose it shows what people will do when given an idea that never comes to fruition.....I really hope the GWS 38 arrives although I think Ive sorted the wing out to make what I have a lot quicker (although Im not intending on crashing the one I have)not sure now if I would buy one or not to be honest......although Im a sucker for GWS and probably will

Ive been trying to get the tiled plans up into the warbirds forum but I have them in about 40 seperate files and dont know how to get the into 1...Ive also been having problems with a server busy warning?????

if any one want them emailed let me know

Trev
milky2971 is offline Find More Posts by milky2971
Old Jan 12, 2006, 01:47 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
keep busting GWS's chops and keep reminding them that we want the GWS-38!

-Chris
Your suggestion has been tried for 18 months with no results and I do not think that it will change anything for the next 18 months either. While Lockheed's and GWS's attitudes remain the same we have a stand off situation here.

The only way to have a Park Flier P38 in the near future, without paying US$200, is to put down the pen and take up a knife. I plan to test fly my P 38 on Sunday morning and have enjoyed reading about the P38ís made by other posters in this thread

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jan 12, 2006 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 12, 2006, 02:08 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I own up to also belonging to "please stop banging on about........." camp simply because I'm quite clear Mr Lin is well aware of our wish to see it asap and "busting his chops" isn't going to make any difference at all except maybe him off.

Red "Ugh... I am SO tired of waiting for the GWS P-38... I'm standing on the edge of the abyss to purchase a Flying Styro P-38...

...I could slip off the edge any moment..."

or someone could push you JOKE - OK???!

Interestingly, in an attempt to join in with the positive comments in this thread, I went to the Mountain Models site to check the price of their P-38 as a suggested alternative. And its no longer listed - Hmmmm I wonder why?
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jan 12, 2006, 04:15 PM
RC Addict
Providence Village, TX
Joined Feb 2005
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milky2971
Nice model Balsa
Ive been trying to get the tiled plans up into the warbirds forum but I have them in about 40 seperate files and dont know how to get the into 1...Ive also been having problems with a server busy warning?????

if any one want them emailed let me know

Trev
Trev,

I assume you mean you have 40 PDF files and can't get them into one file? If you want, zip them up and e-mail them to me. I'll be happy to merge them into one file and send it back to you and/or post them for everybody.

Ryan
RyanF is offline Find More Posts by RyanF
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:27 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Your suggestion has been tried for 18 months with no results

Ken
And it will be "tried" for 18 more months.

Random GWS Supporters aren't going to stop voicing thier support just because "Ken said so".

Say Red and I DID stop... you know dang well that within another 12 hours another RCG'er will post about it again.

Bottom line? This project is bigger than any ONE person saying "knock it off".

When support for a project starts to die, the project dies... and I won't let it happen while I'm here, especially with this P-38 that hundreds of people voiced thier support on.

It's called a Forum... where people come to talk about things they are interested in. There's no rule that says, "stop talking about that, it's annoying".

The GWS dealer forum is lucky if it gets 4 or 5 newly posted threads a day. There are at least 30 different rooms in RCG... if we "annoy" you here... then?

-Chris

PS: What a beautiful P-38 model milky!
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:36 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Hey milky,

What kind of foam is your P-38 made of?

Does the placement of the elevator servo cause imbalance issues?

Did you use 1 or 2 servos for Ailerons?

And finally, what's powering it?

Thanks

-Chris
Old Jan 12, 2006, 05:58 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
And it will be "tried" for 18 more months.
I repeat, I plan to test fly my P 38 on Sunday, 10 days after deciding to build it. I hope you can test fly your GWS 38 sometime in the next 18 months.

Its lucky for the USA that Henry Ford did not say, "Its too hard, I cannot do it. I will have to get an overseas company to design and build a motor car for me."

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Jan 12, 2006 at 06:39 PM. Reason: add text
Old Jan 12, 2006, 06:58 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts

you do that.

It's a good thing that Henry Ford didn't say, "stop that consumer input... it's getting annoying."

It works both ways...

I'll keep helping people SUPPORT the thread, rather than degrading it.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 09:21 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Okay -- I'm going to break my silence...

1) Thank you to everyone who supported me in this. I realize how my constant posts on P-38's can seem annoying; perhaps on a subconsious level they are designed to be annoying (to GWS and Mr. Lin -- nobody else).

2) Kensp -- give me a break! Your P-38 design instructions with "minimal tools" is a JOKE! What is "minimal" to you is absolutely not minimal to me! What do you call that tool in post #21 of your thread?! How many people do you think have that "minimal tool" laying around the house?! I've spent some time looking at many of your posts, and you do a great many things that are WAY outside my league -- please don't expect everyone to do things as effortlessly as you do.

3) Pitching your P-38 build thread on this GWS P-38 thread SHOULD be considered offensive to a great many people -- ESPECIALLY GWS and Mr. Lin. This thread is not about you.

4) If I annoy you, there's no reason I should not continue to post. You can simply add me to your "ignore" list. It's that simple. There is no reason for you to be rude to me in a public forum.

5) This thread is about the GWS 38. How can you possibly get upset when someone posts that they want to see the GWS 38 be produced? If so, simply unsubscribe from the thread! It's really that simple.

6) It sounds to me like you've given up on the GWS 38. That's fine -- move on, but don't on the rest of us.

7) Saying the Lockheed lawsuit threat is a valid reason for GWS to ditch the P-38 is just plain silly. Plenty of other companies have successfully produced P-38 items -- Flying Styro has an RC model, and I recently bought a P-38 toy for my son which cost less than $2 where's the excessive royalty in that?! The truth is that GWS is LAZY, and CHEAP, and does not want to pursue the P-38 -- they're using the threat of lawsuit as a simple EXCUSE (and a poor one at that).

As such, I am PROUD to say I've given up on the GWS P-38. I have stepped over that abyss I spoke of earlier, and I will be ordering a Flying Styro P-38 on January 16 (the day after my birthday -- I want to wait and see if I get any gift certificates to Hobby Lobby before I make the purchase).

If GWS ever does get off their and produce the P-38, I might go ahead and purchase one -- but GWS has allowed their excessive procrastination to lose a customer. I am not waiting any longer!

[UNSUBSCRIBED FROM THREAD]
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Last edited by Red 61; Jan 12, 2006 at 09:39 PM. Reason: I added item #3... (grrrrr...)
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:16 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I hate to say I'm getting close to that point as well Red.

My favorite plane has always been the P-38 and since I started flying my ultimate goal has been to own one. That plane and a B-17 (but that's another thread hehe). I just don't have the talent to create one out of foam myself so I do rely on manufactures to create a kit. I've followed ken's build thread but I just don't trust my ability to get the wing shapes correct or even to make it remotely look like a p-38 when I'm done lol.

It would be nice to see something on this plane picture wise from GWS to prove it's still coming. They say it is but we've not seen one ounce of proof of it. The only alternative is really the FS one but to outfit that plane is expensive. I have been hoping for a cheaper alternative. My flying skills are now at the point where I think I can fly one and I won't be able to wait much longer to start building one. I do hope GWS delivers.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0stS0ul
I hate to say I'm getting close to that point as well Red.

My favorite plane has always been the P-38 and since I started flying my ultimate goal has been to own one. That plane and a B-17 (but that's another thread hehe). I just don't have the talent to create one out of foam myself so I do rely on manufactures to create a kit. I've followed ken's build thread but I just don't trust my ability to get the wing shapes correct or even to make it remotely look like a p-38 when I'm done lol.

It would be nice to see something on this plane picture wise from GWS to prove it's still coming. They say it is but we've not seen one ounce of proof of it. The only alternative is really the FS one but to outfit that plane is expensive. I have been hoping for a cheaper alternative. My flying skills are now at the point where I think I can fly one and I won't be able to wait much longer to start building one. I do hope GWS delivers.
Who saids outfitting FSK P38 must be expensive? Don't let Hobby-Lobby's recommended brushless setup limit you.

In fact these FSK birds are originally designed to be flown well on two cheap brushed 300 6V motors. Hobby-Lobby used to recommend brushed 300 6V for FSK planes. The brushless outfit recommended by Hobby Lobby for P38 is NOT a high power setup. The main benefit would only be longer flight time so if you want to save money, then go with the brushed motors and you will not lose much in terms of hot dogging performance.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Jan 13, 2006, 01:12 AM
Insert Witty Comment
Canberra, Australia
Joined Dec 2003
1,028 Posts
I dont find kens comments at all offensive. This thread is DEAD without other dialogue being contributed, as there is NO GWS P38 at this stage. And there be new threads when there is.

Now if Mr Lin were to update us it might get back on track.

In the meantime, stop crying like sissy men!
Suntzu is offline Find More Posts by Suntzu
Old Jan 13, 2006, 01:22 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Guys, stop with the argument in here....

Read the title of this thread... if you don't like the relevant things people have to chat about in here... then leave.

Plain and simple.

-Chris

PS: Not picking on you Suntzu ... just referring to the attacks/trolling from people in general.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 02:26 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Okay -- I'm going to break my silence..

2) Kensp -- give me a break! Your P-38 design instructions with "minimal tools" is a JOKE! What is "minimal" to you is absolutely not minimal to me! What do you call that tool in post #21 of your thread?! How many people do you think have that "minimal tool" laying around the house?! I've spent some time looking at many of your posts, and you do a great many things that are WAY outside my league -- please don't expect everyone to do things as effortlessly as you do.

[UNSUBSCRIBED FROM THREAD]
I do indeed own the tool shown in the reference but in the build thread referred to the only tools shown in demonstrations of the building technique are a knife and an emery paper sanding block.

My building technique, using both foam and balsa, has taken a long time to perfect and in fact my first four attempts at scratch building would be rated from abysmal up to poor. It is because I did in not say "I cannot do this", but persisted and learnt by each failure that I can now build to my present standard.

Ken

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Jan 13, 2006 at 03:30 AM. Reason: add text for clarity