SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:30 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Ugh... I am SO tired of waiting for the GWS P-38... I'm standing on the edge of the abyss to purchase a Flying Styro P-38...

...I could slip off the edge any moment...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:33 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebman
Merlin:
Do you have any RAF Decals?

-Thanks-

Mike
I believe thr RAF used the rounded letters..something like this. You can change the color to white or red in paint shop or photo shop before printing.
my other post has the RAF markings and fin flash.

John
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 11, 2006, 03:15 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Ugh... I am SO tired of waiting for the GWS P-38... I'm standing on the edge of the abyss to purchase a Flying Styro P-38...

Do it! I'ts only $199.00 at H.L.
Why dont I do it you ask...well I fly like POOP so i would just drill it into the ground! But some day i will Do It! You'll see.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 11, 2006, 03:16 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:

After months of reading your posts of a similar vein to this one I have come to the conclusion that you realy dont want a P38. It woukd appear that you only want to complain that GWS is not prepared to risk a law suit to pander to your wishes that they make a P38.

It has benn sugested that those people who realy want a P38 so badly that could make their own. I have a Thread in Foamies that shows how to do this with minimal tools. milky2971 has posted details of Depron version that I assume was built with only a knife and sand paper. So what is stopping you from building your own P38.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jan 11, 2006, 03:31 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Ken -- no, you've got it all wrong!

I DESPERATELY want another P-38 -- I crashed my first one, and it went out of production before I could purchase another one...

So, now I have three options:
1) Wait for the GWS P-38. This has been my primary option for over a year now. This is what I REALLY want to do, but it seems it will never happen.

2) Purchase the Flying Styro P-38 from Hobby-Lobby. However, at $199, it would be the single most expensive aircraft I've ever purchased. After my experience with my first P-38, I'm not sure I want to risk $199 on a single airplane...

3) Well, this option actually has two sub-options:
3a) Build a profile P-38 out of Depron. I have no doubt I have the skills to do this, and it wouldn't take that long to accomplish. It would also be a good test of my piloting skills... The trouble with this is that my flying buddies say they'll laugh at me and my roadkill P-38 if I go this route.

3b) Build a nicer looking P-38 out of parts from www.nastytoesaviation.com . I am not certain I have the skills to accomplish this, and I do NOT have the ability to create a plastic canopy, plastic cowls, plastic radiators, and plastic superchargers. In short, I'll spend several months building this, it won't look very good, and I'll probably crash it after 4 flights.
So, my friend, you've misunderstood me. I MUST have a P-38, since my grandfather owned a fleet of 8 of them for his aerial mapping business. He purchased them for $2,000 each, just after the war ended.

Unfortunately, my options are much too limited. I hate myself for waiting all these months (years) for the GWS P-38, but it's really my only reasonable option.

PLEASE, Mr. Lin -- get the P-38 in production!
Old Jan 11, 2006, 03:38 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Ken -- no, you've got it all wrong!

I DESPERATELY want another P-38 -- I crashed my first one, and it went out of production before I could purchase another one...

So, now I have three options:
1) Wait for the GWS P-38. This has been my primary option for over a year now. This is what I REALLY want to do, but it seems it will never happen.

2) Purchase the Flying Styro P-38 from Hobby-Lobby. However, at $199, it would be the single most expensive aircraft I've ever purchased. After my experience with my first P-38, I'm not sure I want to risk $199 on a single airplane...

3) Well, this option actually has two sub-options:
3a) Build a profile P-38 out of Depron. I have no doubt I have the skills to do this, and it wouldn't take that long to accomplish. It would also be a good test of my piloting skills... The trouble with this is that my flying buddies say they'll laugh at me and my roadkill P-38 if I go this route.

3b) Build a nicer looking P-38 out of parts from www.nastytoesaviation.com . I am not certain I have the skills to accomplish this, and I do NOT have the ability to create a plastic canopy, plastic cowls, plastic radiators, and plastic superchargers. In short, I'll spend several months building this, it won't look very good, and I'll probably crash it after 4 flights.
So, my friend, you've misunderstood me. I MUST have a P-38, since my grandfather owned a fleet of 8 of them for his aerial mapping business. He purchased them for $2,000 each, just after the war ended.

Unfortunately, my options are much too limited. I hate myself for waiting all these months (years) for the GWS P-38, but it's really my only reasonable option.

PLEASE, Mr. Lin -- get the P-38 in production!
You do not appear to "desperately" want a P 38 or the cost of US$ 199 would not be a barrier. You simply want GWS to make a kit of it and, because of Locheeds threat of a law suit, this is not on. So looks like you will have to take one of the other options. Your continual carping on GWS's inability to bypass the Locheed threat is wearing on myself and probably others as well.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jan 11, 2006 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Spelling and text corection
Old Jan 11, 2006, 03:39 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Okay -- I guess I'll just stop posting to RC Groups. Sorry to disturb you, Ken.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 04:54 PM
Woohoohoohoohoo! AGAIN!!
Manly Vale, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
119 Posts
Hang on a second,
You're completely right to say that GWS won't be making a P-38 model. That discussion is for other threads however. This thread is about a different model, referred to as a GWS 38, of different design than Lockheed's P-38, and with a different name as well, therefore litigation can be circumvented:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
So, we will make GWS 38 and 40 look scale, but not the identical same shape. But this will be considered how to make them better.
Kensp, I've downloaded your designs for the homebuild P-38, and will be making one of my own in the near future, though not all modelers are this ambitious.
I will also be buying a GWS 38 when it comes out. GWS has been very good to me, I own their P-51, and Corsair, and I'm quite exited to see what they come up with for the GWS 38.

Red 61, I recognise your posts as bumps to keep this thread active, so keep up the good work.
Randori is offline Find More Posts by Randori
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:08 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Joined Nov 2000
4,359 Posts
Where can I download the plans for the Homemade P-38? (I have like lots of Depron looking for a job).

-Thanks -

Mike
mrebman is offline Find More Posts by mrebman
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:43 PM
Proud To Have Served 1983-1987
United States, PA, York
Joined Dec 2005
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Your continual carping on GWS's inability to bypass the Locheed threat is wearing on myself and probably others as well.

Ken
Ken,
I for one just move on to the next post if I don't like what someone has to say. I think it rather to bust someones chops just for voicing their opinion. I could say the same thing about your comments "wearing on me". Is a forum not the place to question and speak your mind? I think some people in this forum have real issues and need to address them without using fellow members as their targets. RED 61 come on back, don't let people like this ruin your love of this hobby !!!!
Smitty
SEMPERFI8387 is offline Find More Posts by SEMPERFI8387
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:44 PM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
KenSp and Red, the problem isn't each other its GWS, they have showen us pictures and droped hints that they are makeing one. However after almost 1.5 years after seeing pictures and no other announcments no one knows whats going on. If they said they were not making one we could all stop waiting and go on with our lives. However they don't confirm nor deny it.. This is the problem that plauges us all!!

Chris

Bad spellers of the world untie!!
Scoobyvroom is offline Find More Posts by Scoobyvroom
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:22 PM
Talk to me Goose!
Miramar, Argentina
Joined May 2005
148 Posts
Is this for real? These two heavy hitters going at each other?
boex is offline Find More Posts by boex
Old Jan 12, 2006, 09:16 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boex
Is this for real? These two heavy hitters going at each other?
Indeed.

I think the impatience of dicussing this airplane for years is getting to all of us.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:25 AM
North Plains, OR
Joined Nov 2003
491 Posts
Quote:
here is a nice fleet of P38's...
Turbo442 is offline Find More Posts by Turbo442
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:12 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
I agree, Red... keep busting GWS's chops and keep reminding them that we want the GWS-38!

Don't be discouraged by another member "having a bad day".

So keep on keepin' on man.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45