HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2006, 10:53 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Shcshon -- please elaborate on your definition of "one-piece design"...

Please take your negative energy somewhere else -- you are making comments about subjects you know nothing about. Patrick (AKA "Air Devil") said he ceased production becuase it was too much work and he did not make enough money for the time he put into it. He had plenty of buyers -- he was more or less SWAMPED with the work.

I'm so tired of waiting for the GWS P-38, I'm seriously considering building my own out of Depron, or building one out of parts from Nasty Toes Aviation.
Air Devil is one guy business and is easily "swampped" by tens or hundreds of order from P-38 enthusiasts that will buy ANY P-38 kit that is offered. However that amount is nothing for a big business like GWS. You simply can't compare with the amount of order they get for their P-51, F-4U, ...etc world wide because their size can fit even the smallest car and dorm room with their removable wing. Enthusiasts with large home/pick up truck does not care to have a squardon of big planes but you have to admit there are far bigger market out there for casual/impulse buyers. These guys are NOT serious about RC and they wouldn't spare much space in his car and home to store RC "toys".
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2006, 11:15 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Size

So you are saying the difference of 12 inches of wing span matters that much? How big would a GWS P-38 be?I have a small house and a small car and 4 big planes. Back seat is ok by me.

By the way the casual buyer who buys a Gws Corsair or Mustang doesn't get past the first flight (unless he/she has help).
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 06, 2006, 01:09 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
So you are saying the difference of 12 inches of wing span matters that much? How big would a GWS P-38 be?I have a small house and a small car and 4 big planes. Back seat is ok by me.

By the way the casual buyer who buys a Gws Corsair or Mustang doesn't get past the first flight (unless he/she has help).
No. Wingspan is NOT the main problem, if the wing can be disassembled into two or more pieces. I have a 55" wingspan Jet liner but it has two piece wing and removable tail everything fold down to occupy roughly the space of a folded unbrella. With the same amount of available space, these foldable planes is more attractive and can encourage people to buy more planes.

Also your picture does not include women and children. For many family guys owning a small car the front seat would be for wife and back seat for children. It is also important for many family guys to hide their plane from young children to prevent damage to both the plane and the children. A big one piece P-38 is practically impossible to hide in a small house.

In any case I know it is not easy to design a P-38 that is not one piece but if GWS can pull it off then GWS P-38 is sure to be the top selling P-38 in the world.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Jan 06, 2006, 05:22 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
This morning I started on the working drawings for a F4 the Photo Reconasance version that flew, with the RAAF, from Comarlie Creek airstrip 400 miles south of here.

Ken
I now have completed the wing shape for my F4 version of the P38. The time I have spent ot the project so far is 5 Hours including drawing the plans. I have only used a knife and emery paper to do this work

See Building a foam P38 with a knife and emery paper.

The center 35 inches of this wing are the same as the GWS Me109.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jan 06, 2006 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Add text for clarity
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:24 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
No. Wingspan is NOT the main problem, if the wing can be disassembled into two or more pieces. I have a 55" wingspan Jet liner but it has two piece wing and removable tail everything fold down to occupy roughly the space of a folded unbrella. With the same amount of available space, these foldable planes is more attractive and can encourage people to buy more planes.
Uhhhh -- okay. So what about all the people who epoxy their wing to the fuselage for strength? You seem to be a very small percentage of RC enthusiasts who want the ability to put their airplane in the glove box of their car... What kind of car do you drive anyway? (I'm guessing something unusually small.)

Then again, I've heard of RC enthusiasts who put their airplanes, batteries, radio, etcetera in the basket of their BICYCLE to ride to the field to fly. The bottom line is, if you are truly interested in RC, and you want a specific airplane, you'll find a way to make it work.

Please don't ruin it for the rest of us. What is your end-game anyway? Do you get paid lots of bucks if GWS doesn't make the P-38? If not, why post all the negative energy here?

Quote:
Also your picture does not include women and children. For many family guys owning a small car the front seat would be for wife and back seat for children. It is also important for many family guys to hide their plane from young children to prevent damage to both the plane and the children. A big one piece P-38 is practically impossible to hide in a small house.
LOL -- again, you have no idea what you're saying, or who you're saying it to. I'm married with 3 kids. I also have a cat which LOVES to eat styrofoam. Yet, I somehow make it all work -- it's really not that difficult. None of my kids, or wife, (or cat) has ever been hurt by any of my eight aircraft -- not even my [sarcasam] HUGE, ONE-PIECE AIR DEVIL P-38 [/sarcasam]. How many kids do you have? I'm guessing NONE (if you do have any, and it's truly an issue for you, you need to re-prioritize your life).

Quote:
In any case I know it is not easy to design a P-38 that is not one piece but if GWS can pull it off then GWS P-38 is sure to be the top selling P-38 in the world.
I doubt very seriously that's going to happen. The P-38 is a mid-wing, twin-boom aircraft -- you can't just bolt the wing to the fuselage like on other GWS aircraft. Maybe that's why GWS doesn't want to mass-produce their P-38. Then again, my E-flite P-47 Thunderbolt is a mid wing design -- and E-flite figured out a way to do it... (part of the fuselage at the bottom is removable, and it works very well).
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jan 06, 2006, 12:17 PM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
how about a mosquito instead Mr Lin?
twchdyn is offline Find More Posts by twchdyn
Old Jan 06, 2006, 12:30 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
When I bought my car I specifically looked at trunk space and made sure I got a car that I could get my planes to and from the field in. My wife laughs at me because I bought a station wagon when I could have had a sports coup lol. (no kids here)
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jan 06, 2006, 01:53 PM
crazy builder
United States, CA, Santee
Joined May 2001
222 Posts
I had a single piece p38 rubber powered model many years ago . i managed to transport that in a mini (1275 gt not the "new" model) it was 48 inch in wingpanand travelled all around the uk to model shows ie. woodvale , old warden, etc

Anyway if you want a multi part model you come up with a way of breaking it down into pieces you think are small enough and then post the method here

so suggesting that a model about the same size as a gws kit needs to be multi part is just plain lazy and as for the subject of storage look at what kensp does, put them up on the wall

Mind you i wouldnt say no to the mosquito instead and it can be as big as you can make it mr lin i now drive a chrysler pacifica, there are not many models that wont fit into that beast

LOstSOul i hope your station wagon is a Dodge Magnum HEMI then you have a big model carrier that can out run most sports cars LOL
flying_pig is offline Find More Posts by flying_pig
Old Jan 06, 2006, 02:14 PM
Proud To Have Served 1983-1987
United States, PA, York
Joined Dec 2005
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Randori

And btw don't confuse my disappointment with the way they do business with a lack of enthusiasm for the product. But, for example, just two months ago Mr Lin, elsewhere in RCG, allowed his enthusiasm (no argument about that) to cause him to promise a GWS EDF jet by Christmas 2005 see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415040
.........................and you wonder why some of us are "lacking interest"

And Mr Lin, if you "early bird" ANY new EDF jet before Xmas, like you said on September 12th or thereabouts - I promise to buy one and send you a gift also!

In Mr. Lin's defense, that post states December for Early Birds, February for general LHS sales, so it may still happen. How about it Mr. Lin?
Smitty
SEMPERFI8387 is offline Find More Posts by SEMPERFI8387
Old Jan 06, 2006, 02:30 PM
FLY PEMBREY (PFC)
Wales (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
408 Posts
Nice one Ken

I for one really dont like sanding foam that much....so I applaud you
it will look superb when finished though Im sure I've just had a read of your build thread
Ive got to learn a method to speed the build up
Ive almost finished building a depron Gee Bee which put the 38 on the back burner for a couple of days although I may get it flying this Sunday
Ive learnt alot building the Gee Bee as the fuse is scored and rounded (Ive never formed Depron this way before) and its so much quicker and I think it will be quite easy to form the 2 booms and cockpit pod this way on my next 38 and get them more scale than I have them at the moment

Im into building at moment although I hate fitting the electronics.....

Im going to try and not to get into how awkward the shape and size is as it the same as any plane...although I also have 3 kids....they dont damage them anyway as they know it my job to do that

any more builders? GWS maybe???

Trev
milky2971 is offline Find More Posts by milky2971
Old Jan 06, 2006, 04:49 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMPERFI8387
In Mr. Lin's defense, that post states December for Early Birds, February for general LHS sales, so it may still happen. How about it Mr. Lin?
As an Early Bird, I can tell you it was not offered to us in December...
Old Jan 06, 2006, 08:48 PM
North Plains, OR
Joined Nov 2003
491 Posts
Imagine a glassed P38 with two hacker A20/20L's and two 1320 prolites spinning APC 9X8 E props. I doubt we have to wait too much longer. Mr Lin can't have that huge factory with all of those people sitting around doing nothing. I would'nt be surprised in 12 months if we are flooded with so many new GWS models we will be picking and choosing what we build from GWS.
Turbo442 is offline Find More Posts by Turbo442
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:44 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
whatever motors you use make shure that the are light. There are two of them a fair way in front of the CG. I have got my build to a stage where I could do a trial run on the CG position and I have had to scrap the idea of the battery in the nose of the pod. Instead it has to go in the rear of the pod under the wing with the ESC behind it. The Rx will go under the canopy and all the servos will have to go in the radiator bulges on the booms.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jan 07, 2006, 04:59 AM
North Plains, OR
Joined Nov 2003
491 Posts
After flying shockies and indoor flyers with the CG WAYYYYYYY back I have realized that a rearward CG isint the end of the world. Yes it get more pitch sensitive, but you dont have to worry about a fuel CG shift. For example on a Formosa, I ignore the factory CG settings. If the wing/stab/motor incidence is correct I keep bumping the CG back until I have no noticable trim change between normal and inverted flight. Thats just how I fly them though. Everyone has their own personal preference.
Turbo442 is offline Find More Posts by Turbo442
Old Jan 07, 2006, 09:22 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
whatever motors you use make shure that the are light. There are two of them a fair way in front of the CG. I have got my build to a stage where I could do a trial run on the CG position and I have had to scrap the idea of the battery in the nose of the pod. Instead it has to go in the rear of the pod under the wing with the ESC behind it. The Rx will go under the canopy and all the servos will have to go in the radiator bulges on the booms.
My fully fiberglassed P-38 weighed 40 ounces (yeah, I put way too much cornstarch in the mix -- it was my first fiberglass job).

I had twin Himax 2025-4200's with Cobri 20 gearboxes (and big, heavy fiberglass filled 3-blade Master Airscrew props) hanging off the front of my P-38... Even so, I had to move the battery from the suggested location (under the cockpit), to the nose of the aircraft to balance it properly.

Again, my fiberglass job was too heavy, so that shifted my CG to the tail... Perhaps if I did it again, the suggested cockpit battery location would work fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo442
I doubt we have to wait too much longer. Mr Lin can't have that huge factory with all of those people sitting around doing nothing. I would'nt be surprised in 12 months if we are flooded with so many new GWS models we will be picking and choosing what we build from GWS.
I sure hope so... From my point of view, I see a compay which got too big, too fast, and is now lazy from their success.