SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2006, 10:02 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
To be honest GWS won't lose anyone.IF they release a "GWS38 they will sell everyone thy can produce.........One piece or not. It wont be that BIG really.If you get one and dont like it you will sell it on E-bay for twice what you spent.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2006, 11:33 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
I hope they come up with clever idea of make the plane disassemble into several smaller pieces for storage and transporation.

P-38 is a large plane and its shape takes a lot a space. If GWS 38 fighter is still one piece glued they are sure to lose lots of buyers since they simply do not have the room to store it nor big enough car to carry them to flying fields.
Having owned an Air Devil P-38, I can tell you from experience a P-38 really is not any larger than any other airplane.

Most of the space of any airplane is taken by the wingspan (Air Devil was 48 inches), and the length (Air Devil was 34.5 inches) -- usually, these dimensions are reversed on a "normal" airplane (length is usually longer than wingspan); the space that is occupied is the same.

Think of a "normal" single fuselage aircraft -- do you really use the empty space between the rear of the wing and the front of the horizontal stabalizer? That's just unused space -- the P-38 simply makes use of that space.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jan 05, 2006, 02:15 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Red
How was that Air Devil P-38? I went looking for one but Noooooooooo they don't make them any more. I even looked at the Molt's Models one ,they dont make that one as well. I cringe at the FS price! Did i miss anything with the A D?
John
Old Jan 05, 2006, 02:37 PM
FLY PEMBREY (PFC)
Wales (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
409 Posts
Build your own

couldnt wait ....but still want a kit!!!!come on GWS

not the easiest build to date but getting there

hopefully maiden this weekend
40" ws
'GWS P-51 canopy'
x2 cdrom motors 8x4 hd props
x1 CC 25 esc
PQ 2100 lipo
6mm depron with a 2 and 3mm skinned wing over 6mm depron formers

Trev
milky2971 is offline Find More Posts by milky2971
Last edited by milky2971; Jan 05, 2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 02:58 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Nice plane Milky

Why dont you start a company? You'll be done before GWS is!
No i'm not kiding
Old Jan 05, 2006, 03:56 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Merlin -- the AD P-38 was nice. However, it was my first attempt at fiberglassing, and I made mine WAY too heavy... It flew great, but the 3-blade props I put on it always dug in on landing -- and with all the momentum behind it (due to my poor fiberglass job) the motor mounts and cowls always got damaged.

Milky -- I've been thinking about building my own P-38 out of Depron... I'm just not sure how to build the air foil formers... I actually have an advantage in that I still have my Air Devil P-38 canopy... Hmmmmm...
Old Jan 05, 2006, 04:36 PM
FLY PEMBREY (PFC)
Wales (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
409 Posts
Cheers Merlin

Red 61 the wing was the worst bit but building one with 6mm depron formers and skinning it with 2mm/3mm is quite easy but time consuming

the bit I didnt enjoy was cutting the formers out
I added a full lenth 2mm carbon spar bonded to the depron spar through the center

my next wing will use a hot wire core and be skinned in balsa or a folded wing with a square former like is being done on the epp planes

hope the pics help

Trev
milky2971 is offline Find More Posts by milky2971
Last edited by milky2971; Jan 05, 2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:11 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milky2971
Build your own

couldnt wait ....but still want a kit!!!!come on GWS

not the easiest build to date but getting there

hopefully maiden this weekend
40" ws
'GWS P-51 canopy'
x2 cdrom motors 8x4 hd props
x1 CC 25 esc
PQ 2100 lipo
6mm depron with a 2 and 3mm skinned wing over 6mm depron formers

Trev
Definitetly looks like Locheeds policy of threatening legal action is leading to a state where the only way to get a P38 is to pay big bucks or to make your own from scratch.

This morning I started on the working drawings for a F4 the Photo Reconasance version that flew, with the RAAF, from Comarlie Creek airstrip 400 miles south of here.

This model will be build from 1 inch thick foam sheet using only hand tools and emery paper. The outline will be cut with a box cutter and then rough shaped with the blade. Course grit emery paper is used to rough sand and then progressivly finer paper is used untill the final finish. I will do a build thread in Foamies. I'm going to call it a "Nota 38"

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jan 05, 2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:14 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
I wonder if it will get to a point where Lockheed will sue the individual for making a scratch built P-38?
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:30 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
I wonder if it will get to a point where Lockheed will sue the individual for making a scratch built P-38?
Let us hope they try, as it will cost them a fortune to find and individually sue each person as each person would be a separate legal case. But there is world wide recognition that copyright and registered designs do not apply to items produced by an individual for that individuals private use.

So not only would US law need to be changed but also a worldwide system of treaties and the US Government is already finding resistance, by other countries, to the actions by companies like Locheed. Being too radical could lead to the rest of the word deciding to scrap these treaties with regard to the USA.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jan 05, 2006 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 05, 2006, 06:47 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
How much Royalty per plane do they ask? How much could they ask?
The Flying Styro is $199.00. If they wanted say $50.00 per plane that would make it retail for only $150.00 without the royalty !
I really doubt it is that much. And at any rate it would be passed on to us. You can still get the Monogram 1/48 scale model for $10.00
or is it Grandfathered in and not involved. Any one have any ideas or info?
Old Jan 05, 2006, 08:00 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Nice work Trev !!

Mr Lin, hire this guy,...please ???
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Jan 05, 2006, 08:20 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
Red
How was that Air Devil P-38? I went looking for one but Noooooooooo they don't make them any more. I even looked at the Molt's Models one ,they dont make that one as well. I cringe at the FS price! Did i miss anything with the A D?
John
You see how these P-38s lose their customers fast and went out of production in less than one year. Both of them are one-piece design that you can hardly ship the plane away even when you want to it.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Jan 05, 2006, 09:40 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Shcshon -- please elaborate on your definition of "one-piece design"...

Please take your negative energy somewhere else -- you are making comments about subjects you know nothing about. Patrick (AKA "Air Devil") said he ceased production becuase it was too much work and he did not make enough money for the time he put into it. He had plenty of buyers -- he was more or less SWAMPED with the work.

I'm so tired of waiting for the GWS P-38, I'm seriously considering building my own out of Depron, or building one out of parts from Nasty Toes Aviation.
Last edited by Red 61; Jan 05, 2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2006, 11:51 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2003
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
How much Royalty per plane do they ask? How much could they ask?
The Flying Styro is $199.00. If they wanted say $50.00 per plane that would make it retail for only $150.00 without the royalty !
I really doubt it is that much. And at any rate it would be passed on to us. You can still get the Monogram 1/48 scale model for $10.00
or is it Grandfathered in and not involved. Any one have any ideas or info?
From memory, the royalty for Beoing 747 was $12 or $20. I would have paid an extra $20 for a 747, even if it cost $150.

I'd love to have a P38.
2raj is offline Find More Posts by 2raj