HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2002, 02:44 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
EMS ASW 28 3m

Has anyone built or flown the ASW 28 3m from EMS. Very nice plane indeed but the wings are so thin that I wonder what servos to use. The aileron servo well is only 9mm and the servo well for the brakes is just couple of mm thicker. The plane seems to be very light 1.5-2.0 kg all up but never the less I hesitate to use the HS-55 type of servo in the wings of this bird.
Radek Z is offline Find More Posts by Radek Z
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2002, 01:43 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
EMS?

Why not E-mail EMS at:
ems@ems-modell.de
and ask them what servos they had in mind for the ASW28 3 meter model?
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old May 27, 2002, 10:31 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Well, that's what I did but I think they are traveling this week and being unpatient as I am I thought I might find someone who has experience with this model - or something similar in size and wing thickness - I should say thinness. Indeed 9mm does not seem to be too much to work with - especially for the brake...
Old May 27, 2002, 11:23 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Thin Servos

At 10 MM thickness, the Voltz Wing Max and Wing Star are the thinnest servos that I think will do the job. The Multiplex Super FL at 11 MM would also do. I feel that you will have to accept a one or two MM bump on the underside of your wing unless the servo well can be deepend safely by another MM or two.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old May 27, 2002, 01:13 PM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Te bump will be unavoidable whatever I do I guess. It brings another question of where do I get thin and nice servo covers. The stuff caried by all the LHS's is another 1mm thick. May be I can try to make my own. If I can get the plastic sheet I could probably take piece of wood, sand it to shape of the cover and the us the hot air gun to mold the plastic over the wood.

For the servos, I was checking graupner catalogue and they seem to have nice little digital micros - a bit thicker than the Voltz but smaller in the footprint - which might be an issue on this wing - it's really thin and narow at the aileron distance.

This plane is very very nice but bit of nightmarish in size - even to fit the accu, rx and four servos in the fuse is going to be a squeeze.
Old Jun 06, 2002, 04:08 PM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,783 Posts
hi radek. have you flown your ASW-28 yet? i'm also looking at this plane, so i'd love to hear what you think of it. do you have the sheeted or molded version?

do the ailerons seem big enough? i would like a plane with a decent roll rate.

thanks,
ben
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Jun 08, 2002, 03:44 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Ben, I am affraid it's going to be a while before I fly this one - I guess late July, I just do not have enough time. I have the sheeted version and the ailerons eem quite small but hey I have little experience to comare it to.

As I mentioned before it's a pain to fit the servos in the wing.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:07 AM
sausalito, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
7 Posts
The new Hitec digital wing servos are .4" thin.
webmarin is offline Find More Posts by webmarin
Old Jun 26, 2002, 01:09 AM
Joined May 2000
754 Posts
rzitek,

I didn't know EMS had a 3M ASW 28..I see their ASW27 on their web site at 2.5M and costing about $1500.

Have you checked out the HKM ASW 27, a very well made all molded plane with a 4.3M span..about the same price as the EMS 2.5M 28.

Also, you won't have to worry abut thin servos in that one from HKM. I have seen quite a few fly..very nice.
Myself, I am waiting for a KV Discus, all moulded 4.28M..time passes very slow.

Eric
partoftheproblm is offline Find More Posts by partoftheproblm
Old Jun 26, 2002, 03:37 PM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
I think they have introduced the 3.0m fairly recently. Really nice done plane but the wings are just so thin. I have seen same size 28 from Karel Vagenknecht and the fings are far easier to get servos in.

The ASW27 with 4.3m span looks like very nice step up from 3.0m thermal scale ship. I am still not decided but I am contemplating another scale plane for the next year. May be I will have a look. Do you have a web site for the HKM. The ASW27 should have flaps, shouldn't it? The other plane I am looking at is one of the Blaniks airworld.de Blanik or Vagenknecht's Solo.
Old Jul 02, 2002, 10:07 AM
Joined May 2000
754 Posts
EMM

www.scalesoaring.net

for HKM
partoftheproblm is offline Find More Posts by partoftheproblm
Old Jul 05, 2002, 08:14 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
I'll second Eric's suggestion. The HKM ASW-27 is a better value. The glass work is beautiful! What caliber one might see on the full scale example.

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Jul 13, 2002, 03:42 PM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Well the idea of the flapped ASW 27 sounds nice for next year, as well as the ideal of the Blanik from airworld.de.

Anyway, the 28 is now finished. Just need to tidy the wire mess inside and recheck the CG. Here she is:
Old Jul 21, 2002, 03:50 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Maiden flight yesterday, first aero tow for me. Not easy! The asw flies very well, a bit faster than I would like but hey I need to get some excercise for my fingers. The plane is very tough as it had to survive some unorthodox manouveres during the tow. I guess I could roll the plane in 4 seconds.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 02:27 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1 Posts
What servos did you go with

What wing servos did you go with as I have the same dilema with the ASW27 2.5m , I was thinking of Futaba SD150 at 9mm (1.5kg/cm)?

Did you manage to install the airbrakes ok as they look tough?.

If you could post some pics of the installation that would be great

Thanks

Chris
UK
cveitch is offline Find More Posts by cveitch