HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2005, 08:03 PM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
F-16XL FFF Profile Propjet

Hi all

I've been working on a F-16XL (F-16 with cranked arrow i.e. delta wing) design for quite a while now (several months) - designing plans, making prototypes, and writing a build guide. I just finished cleaning up a short little video of prototype three, now found in the new video gallery forum here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441224

Several fellow foamie forum contributors (Gene Bond, DepDog, Stringfly, and Foamflyer) have all been kind enough to lend me a hand in terms of testing out the design. I can't thank these guys enough.. Once I get everyone's feedback, I'll update the build guide and plans and then post 'em here. Check out the video, tell me what you think..

In case you're wondering - prototype 3 was using GWS350C-B gear, 9047 GWS prop, PQ 2s1500 lipo, CC 20a esc.
Kyle
glovesave39 is offline Find More Posts by glovesave39
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2005, 08:23 PM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Kyle I have the plan printed, hope to have it cut out and started on by this weekend. I may try an alternate power source as I dont have a B drive and the local shop does not either.

Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:01 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
nice job..

Have reviewed plans and manual... and boy..... what a nice built. Great job glovesave39. Plan to start on mine soon. Very detailed and neat easy build of a very unique plane. STRINGFLY <>++++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Last edited by STRINGFLY; Nov 14, 2005 at 10:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old Nov 15, 2005, 06:18 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Glove , having built many of these types of planes , if you have any turning problems, it's that front canopy and removing it will fix the problem , or making the vertical Fin larger helps also ...It is a Beauty , and we can't wait to see the results of your efforts ..Best of Luck ...!!!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Nov 15, 2005, 07:11 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I can (and have) report that it's a winner.

I built mine over the weekend, including building the motor/gearbox from spares (don't know why I had 'B' gears, but I did). I maidened it yesterday just as the wind and winter temperatures fired up.

Mine came out on the money weight-wise, until I found the cg needed to come forward some more, so now it's 11.5oz with the big'ol 2s1800 pack. Hey, better that wasted weight! My camera died during the contruction, so I hope to snap some shots out of the video that Jerbear shot at lunch yesterday.

It does fly well, but I couldn't go for just flying well, I needed great.... so I swapped to a 9x7 prop and liked it. I didn't quite love it yet, so I went to a 3s1550 pack and now it's something that can be a lot of fun Don't get me wrong, it flies good with the 350-B/9047/2s, but the 9x7 helped in the 10+ mph winds, and the 3s gave it the power to deal with my 'stupid pkane trick', like seeing if it could recover from and inverted falling stall (leaf falling) at 10' off the ground

Had I had the 3s in it when I did the stupid downwind stall into the big oak tree, I might have been able to fly out with just a branch or two getting hit... Instead, I had to wait until it banged around all the way to the ground, so I could go over and pick it up to re-launch it

Gotta love how the deltas are slick enough to not hang on branches like traditional planes would No real damage, except the sore belly from laughing so hard, and little wrinkle on the nose.

I figure the 350 motor will probably last 2-3 more 3s packs, then the BP-21 will go in.

Turning is not much of an issue, if the cg is forward enough. On the first (tail heavy) launch, turning was a real issue, but so was getting the nose down.

Surprisingly, the high-speed, full-elevator stall isn't bad at all. A lot of planes will go into an elevator surface stall, and just descend. This one does the air-brake thing... Stands up on it's tail and stops

I'm not much for this type of plane, but it's fun. I'll probably fly out the life of the 350 (on 3s), put in the BP-21, and then retire it to someone who's into this style... I'm more into smaller stuff.

I'll have some video soon. Jer filled my camcorder. Hope some of it came out.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:25 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
917 Posts
I missed the plans, etc. Are they posted somewhere? This looks like a great plane.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Nov 15, 2005, 03:19 PM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Actually, you haven't missed anything yet - I haven't posted the plans. I'm going to take the feedback I receive and make some updates. I hope to post the plans and build guide this coming weekend, but we'll see how it goes. Shouldn't be too much longer..

Kyle
Old Nov 15, 2005, 04:23 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
For those of you who are interested, I have a full set of plans & Pictures for a F-16XL Designed by Rane. This is a full fuse pusher parkjet, not a profile plane.

www.parkjets.com/free-plans.html

Just scroll down till you see the White F-16-XL

Tom - Milwaukee
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Nov 15, 2005, 06:57 PM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Some very nice birds at that link RCParkflyer! Thanks! I've already got on my drawing board a few other profile designs based around the same setup (gws350c-b) as the f-16XL. Here's the list:

F-14: Plans created, Prototype 1 built and flown, prototype 2 is built but needs r/c gear installed (you can see the pic of prototype 1 here): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387940

F-15: Plans in draft form
F-16: Plans created, 2 prototypes created and flown, on hold for now though (working on F-14)
F-18: Plans in draft form

My plan is to finish up F-14 prototype 2 next, and if it flies well, start thinking about a monster version (thanks to Depron Dave and his SU-27 XXXXL) using 1/2" foam and 3s himax power.. It would be sooo cool to have a 6' long 4' wingspan foamie f-14 tearing up the sky (well at least flying!)
Kyle
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:08 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Just posted my maiden video in Kyle's Video thread above. Pretty wacky!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 19, 2005, 10:18 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
PLANS posted

Hi all

Here are the plans for the F-16XL. Now added the build guide here!

I have decided to not sell the plans and build guide, despite several months of effort involved. Rather, if you appreciate the hard work that has been put into this plane or you enjoy flying it, please donate whatever you feel is appropriate (see build guide or PM me)

Many thanks to all of you in this forum who have inspired my creativity and have helped me with this project!
Last edited by glovesave39; Feb 24, 2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 06:06 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Glove ... you are a gentleman and a scholar !!! Thanks !!!!
Old Nov 20, 2005, 07:36 AM
Memphis, IN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
366 Posts
Thanks GPW, I tried to send a PM to you when I first designed it since you have designed and built some really cool stuff (and posted it free I might add), but it said it was blocked, oh well. I'm working on F-14 prototype 2 right now, hope to maiden it today if the winds hold out.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 04:38 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Thanks glove , my stuff(AOL) was weird for awhile .... Best of Luck on the F-14 too
Old Nov 20, 2005, 07:59 PM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
The generousity of the people in these forums never ceases to amaze me. Thanks very much Kyle, this looks like a good thanksgiving weekend project.

SS
Smooth Spanky is online now Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky