Closed Thread
Old May 25, 2002, 04:40 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
The BlueCor "XBow"

Hey all,

I just wanted to share my latest BlueCor extravaganza, and let you all know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. First a couple of construction pics...

And some stats:

36" Wingspan
Elevon Control w/Dummy Canard (I might make it functional later)
10.7 Oz weight
14.9 Oz All Up weight w/ 7x 600AE pack
Speed 400 Direct Drive, Gunther Prop.

Test glides were controllable, and very promising. I'll do first powered flights as soon as it stops raining.

Enjoy...

Everybody goes on about the benefits of Forward Swept wings, I thought I'd put the BlueCor to the test. We'll see if I can rip the wings off this one

-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Last edited by Hippo; Aug 26, 2002 at 09:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2002, 05:13 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhhh yeahhh looks fantastic bro .. i was wondering if you had fallen off the face of the earth .. Take Care and Keep Em Flying .. Vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old May 25, 2002, 06:38 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Man! We were cutting wing cores for the ZagNutz yesterday and accidentally put the airfoil templates on backwards. Perfect forward swept foil! After deciding we weren't up to that, we returned to cutting the usual ol' boring swept BACKWARDS foils.

Hippo, please, please keep us informedon the flight results! I only need half a wing to join in the fun!

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 25, 2002, 07:38 PM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
Hippo. Love your FSW. At first glance it looks like an Alienator, then you see it isn't like an Alienator at all, with twin fins and pusher prop.

BTW there is no such thing as a "Dummy canard". If it sticks out there in the wind it is having an effect on the flight performance whether you like it or not.

Don't make the mistake of making it functional. The canard should be fixed and at a 3 deg + angle of incidence to the main wing. Then it will control the stall, making the plane UN-STALLABLE.

Also you may find that you have to increase the chord of the elevons on each side of the fuse right at the tail in order to get sufficient elevator authority.

Just my opinions.

Cheers. Patrick.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old May 25, 2002, 07:53 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2001
392 Posts
Hippo,

Forward swept canard...where do you put the CG on it???
BTW, it looks really cool.
gerico is offline Find More Posts by gerico
Old May 26, 2002, 12:31 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Thanks for the kind words

CenTexFlyer,
It is REALLY hard to think forward swept. I had to cut the elevons 3 times. I kept getting the taper or the sweep angle backwards.

oldpilot,
I know the canard is functional. It is about 3 degrees positive. I was thinking that I might try to make this an elevator/aileron ship, and have the canard working as well. The elevons are their thickest (deepest) at the center, so I'll hope for the best.

gerico,
Following the standard formula, the CG is IN FRONT of the wing. In this case it comes out dead center between the wing and the canard. Actually this is a great place to grip the plane, and makes it really easy to launch.

Vyceroy,
Thanks. Keep me posted on your latest endeavors. You know I was never much for scale... But yours look great.

Thanks all for your encouragement. I hope it really performs. I have a few other pictures I can dig up somewhere, and I'd be happy to make the templates available. Though you might want to wait until we see how it flies...

-Dan
Old May 26, 2002, 08:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
Good on Yer Hippo. Hope it flies as good as it looks. Keep us posted.
Cheers. Patrick.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old May 26, 2002, 08:27 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
You guys never cease to amaze me!!!! Good job Hippo!!!!
I hope it flies like a champ!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old May 26, 2002, 08:39 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
Sweet! Good luck on the maiden!
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn
Old May 26, 2002, 10:20 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
WoooooooHoooooooo!!!!!!

Guys, the maiden flight was AWESOME.

I did my typical first flight routine, which is, "I'll toss it around in the back yard a bit, and make sure the CG is right." Next thing you know, it's 150ft. high and I'm wondering where I'm going to land! (Actually that's the third time I've done this to myself)

I'm using the stock Permax from my Pico-Jet, and this plane weighs 3 Oz less, has less drag, and more wing! I gave it 1/2 throttle, and before I knew it, it was getting really high! I punched up the throttle, and did 3 loops in a row while gaining altitude. WOW!

I had to bring it down, because I was getting some glitching. I think this plane is going to be very manueverable. I got one glitch, and it was upside down in a flash. I decided that I didn't want the first flight to become the last, and brought it down. I'm starting to regret putting the Feather receiver into it, I should have put one of my GWS receivers....

Okay More PICTURES

My "Secret" is the fuselage shape. It's triangular in the back, and rectangular in the front. That makes mounting the motor really easy, and gives that nice cant to the tails. I'm leaving the "scoop" open for now to see if it helps cool the motor. Up front it squares out, and leave plenty of room for the batteries and all...

Thanks for all your encouragement. Last fall I hadn't flown in nearly 10 years (couldn't stand the noise and the grease.) Now I'm designing my own planes! Gotta love it.

Thanks,
-Dan
Old May 26, 2002, 11:40 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Wo0o0o0o0o0o Ho0o0o0o0o Way to go bro glad to hear it went so well.. so now we get the templates for it right?? lol .. keep em coming bro .. im headed to lowes tomorrow for another bundle of bluecore.. im gettng low.. .. Take Care and Keep Em Flying.. Vyceroy
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old May 26, 2002, 12:17 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Whoa! I didn't realize that in the first picture I was looking at the bottom until I finished reading the captions.... How elegantly simple!

OK, I'm with Vyceroy, cough up the fuse templates I'm going out to cut another "backwards" wing core!

CenTexFlyer
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old May 26, 2002, 01:07 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
Excellent! Congrats on your first flight!

Is the wing Blucor as well? What are you using for a spar?

How does the speed compare to say, a Zagi?

How bout those templates!?!
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn
Old May 26, 2002, 04:40 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2001
392 Posts
Awsome!!!

Gotta' have the templates...please,please,please.
gerico is offline Find More Posts by gerico
Old May 27, 2002, 12:10 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
Getting it together

Okay, Okay, I'll do it. I just have to get everything together. I designed about half the plane on the computer, and then got lazy and started cutting parts by hand. Still to whet your appetite, here's a picture of the template for my crazy transitional fuse. I think the fuse is 28.5" long for scale. (It folds up the middle)

I'll post the files up here soon.

Far4nugn,
I don't have a Zagi, so I can't really compare the speed, but it was a little faster than my Pico Jet. On the other hand, it slowed down better (The benefits of that forward sweep finally.)
Yes, the wing is made entirely BlueCor, with BlueCor spar. That's the way that I've always done it, and it's incredibly strong and light. The wings have a little flex in them, but I don't believe they can be broken by air pressure alone. I took the unmounted set in my hands, holding in the cender, and pushed them flat from a standing start, as hard and fast as I could, to see if they would fold up. No problems. I've got another blue plane with a straight wing built the same way, and I haven't had any problems, in fact catching a wingtip on landing is a great way to avoid breaking the prop on that one, and does zero damage.

Patrick,
I liked the Alienator at first glance, but they lost me when they put the prop up front. I've broken enough props to last me for quite some time thank you. Not to mention I prefer the cheap and simple speed 400 gear. I don't need to be buying 10 cell packs...

Keep on the lookout for the template files. I'm thinking of starting a web page for all my plane designs. Any ideas on what I should call it? Maybe I can dig up some sort of prize for the winning suggestion.

Thanks,
-Dan
Closed Thread