HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:31 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,725 Posts
Rave
1950 CENTURY SEAMAID (sterling models)

Well I have decided that with winter coming I would post more pictures of my models to share the modeling experence with the rest of the model boat nuts like me. This model of the 1950 Century Sea Maid was built over twenty years ago and still runs and looks great. Yes this is one of those very rare Sterling models, that everyone looks for on EBAY which are worth their weight in gold. I purchased my model over twenty years ago when apparently M.A.C.K. Products, www.mackproductsrc.com, was working with STERLING MODELS because all of the boat kits had flyers packed in the kits recomending their power and hardware packages. The boat was built using all the materials that came in the kit except for heaver thickness clear plactic for the windshelds. The boat was finished with 14 coats of FLECTO-VARATHANE, the forerunner of todays polyurethanes. The model was stained with Woolsey red mahogany stain and woodfiller just like it's full scale sister. The model is powered with M.A.C.K. Products model #5045 marine motor and running hardware package model #B-8C, and two 7.2 volt 2400 mil. amp. NI-CADs running in series to net 14.4 volts power. The boat has working running lights as well as cockpit lights and a working spot light. Also onboard is a working horn with the speaker under the deck. As with any of the boats I build, thought must be given to placement of wiring, speakers, radio, and battery placement to net the best running performance. As for performance, this is one of the faster boats in my fleet both for flatout speed as well as manuvering. It is a shame that Sterling Models took so much heat about the kits they were producing toward the end of the run, because in their day they built some of the finest kits around in my opinion. I guess the prices that the Sterling kits bring on EBAY kinda makes my last statement ring true. PS> No the boat is not for sale!!!
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2005, 07:02 PM
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined May 2005
205 Posts
wonderful

I'm too new to this hobby to appreciate the very rare goodies but can certainly recognize the beauty and lines of this classic.

lovely and getting better with age.

Doug
bluesy is offline Find More Posts by bluesy
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:27 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,941 Posts
Very nice indeed... I remember these on the shelves at my local hobby shop 20 years ago and didn't give them a second look since I was stricly a 'sailboat snob'... Now I'm kicking myself for not getting them while I could- I do hope the Sterling kits get re-released someday but I'm not holding my breath...

Very nice work and it looks like the quality of your work has held up well over the long term!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Feb 09, 2008, 11:20 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
834 Posts
I Will Be Selling A Nib Sterling Sea Maid, Lmk If Intrested Here, Geoff
bushpilotx1 is online now Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:33 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
164 Posts
Wow! Your model would meet anyone's definition of perfection. It glows! I'm 18 years old and I'm working on a Sterling Dual Cockpit Mahogany Runabout. I also got the M.A.C.K. package that was designed specifically for the model. Luckily, they still had one around. Hopefully I can follow your finishing techniques and obtain a warm, red finish similar to the 1953 Chris Craft in the picture. I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have for building the Sterling kits.

Kyle

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
kylewp is offline Find More Posts by kylewp
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:43 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
I want that boat-NOW.
norgale is online now Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:06 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,941 Posts
Welcome to RC Groups, Kylewp!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:27 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,505 Posts
Kylewp,

"18" wow that is great!!!
Glad to see some young blood in this hobby it will defiantly help keep you out off any trouble, well at least it did for me!
Starting out this young you will become a master in no time and build alot of beautiful boats in the future!
Just keep posting the pictures for us old guys please!

Longbike
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:25 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
164 Posts
Thanks Aerominded and Longbike!
I'll definently post more pictures as I go along.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:30 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
164 Posts
Norgale,
The boat's being sold for $59,900 with trailer . I guess that's the reason why most of us prefer the scale version.

link.