HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2005, 08:49 PM
United States, KS, Coffeyville
Joined Aug 2005
729 Posts
How to switch from Mode 1 to Mode 2 TX

I got stuck with a bad deal on a OMP Tornado that shipped to me with a 72 Mhz Mode 1 setup. I can't fly with this setup. Is it possible to switch this to the standard Mode 2, or am I stuck with this backwards setup? I'd like to just return this to OMP, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen as the only reply I got from them about a return is "did I know it comes with a sim"...Big deal, it has a CDR with the free FMS software and a controller that is impossible to setup with the FMS...So I need to figure out a way to be able to use this, as for now it is totally useless to me in this mode...
Snooptalian is offline Find More Posts by Snooptalian
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:45 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,102 Posts
most of program tx can select mode 1/2 ,, if your tx can't? return it...or get yourself new tx/rx.... or may be just turn the tx up side down and hover her up lol
lowflyer101 is offline Find More Posts by lowflyer101
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:24 AM
I'll Mace You Good!!!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
906 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412390
stevenkelby is offline Find More Posts by stevenkelby
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:39 AM
Joined Sep 2005
914 Posts
Try this guide - basically you only need to change the THR and the ELE - switch their position.
4RCHELICOPTERSPA is offline Find More Posts by 4RCHELICOPTERSPA
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:43 AM
Have a go, it might work!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooptalian
I got stuck with a bad deal on a OMP Tornado that shipped to me with a 72 Mhz Mode 1 setup. I can't fly with this setup. Is it possible to switch this to the standard Mode 2, or am I stuck with this backwards setup? I'd like to just return this to OMP, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen as the only reply I got from them about a return is "did I know it comes with a sim"...Big deal, it has a CDR with the free FMS software and a controller that is impossible to setup with the FMS...So I need to figure out a way to be able to use this, as for now it is totally useless to me in this mode...
Neither Mode 1 or Mode 2 are standard, so I nearly wet myself laughing when I read your post Mode 1 is not backward, it's just not what the majority of American flyers use.

It depends on where you are and even the group you fly with whether you fly Mode 1 or Mode 2. Being less "backward" than America we have both Mode 1 and Mode 2 in Australia . It's really what you learn with. I've read studies on both and they each have advantages/disadvantages.

Cheers,

red
redryder is offline Find More Posts by redryder
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
696 Posts
Sorry, I was laughing too hard to actually answer your question. It is possible to change a Tx from one mode to the other. But it involves changing the gimbals and rewiring the Tx to do it. I'd contact your vendor and see if you can swap the Tx for a Mode 2. The Rx, etc will remain the same.

Cheers,

red
Old Nov 13, 2005, 02:00 AM
Osan, Seoul, S Korea
Joined Jan 2004
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder
It is possible to change a Tx from one mode to the other. But it involves changing the gimbals and rewiring the Tx to do it.
Not necessarily correct. My Futaba 9CAPS can change modes electronically, by punching in a function when I turn it on. Of course, I would have to crack the back and switch the spring and nubby thing, but it is "electronically" possible. I would have to agree with RR in that you should check the manual or vendor for specific info on performing the procedure. I learned on Mode1 cause I'm left handed. Then I realized it's a Mode2 world in the good ol' USA so I had to re-learn "the other way".

Now let's not make fun of the question, and help the guy out by giving him the answers he asked for, huh? This forum was built by people who had questions.

Superfly
superfly13_69 is offline Find More Posts by superfly13_69
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly13_69
Not necessarily correct. My Futaba 9CAPS can change modes electronically, by punching in a function when I turn it on. Of course, I would have to crack the back and switch the spring and nubby thing, but it is "electronically" possible. I would have to agree with RR in that you should check the manual or vendor for specific info on performing the procedure. I learned on Mode1 cause I'm left handed. Then I realized it's a Mode2 world in the good ol' USA so I had to re-learn "the other way".

Now let's not make fun of the question, and help the guy out by giving him the answers he asked for, huh? This forum was built by people who had questions.

Superfly
I am well aware that some Tx's allow changing mode in software, but as you go on to say you need to make hardware changes for it to do anything. And with the simple Tx's supplied with these ARF's then rewiring would be required.

I posted my second response to answer the question. My first response laughed at his presumption that Mode 2 was standard and that Mode 1 was backwards.

Perhaps you could answer his question?

Cheers,

red
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:39 AM
Osan, Seoul, S Korea
Joined Jan 2004
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder
I posted my second response to answer the question. My first response laughed at his presumption that Mode 2 was standard and that Mode 1 was backwards.
Mode 2 IS standard in certain countries. That's what I was trying to say. RR has the "presumption" he knows what country other posters are in. I do not. And I laugh.

Bottom line beyond this posting contest, check with the manufacturer.

Superfly
superfly13_69 is offline Find More Posts by superfly13_69
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:55 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
696 Posts
Yes, SF. The preferred mode does vary country to country. It was the original poster who presumed to know which is standard and which is "backwards", not me. I just laughed at that presumption. And at least I did answer his question rather than just say "Ask the manufacturer". I even suggested he contact the vendor to see if he could swap his Mode 1 TX for a Mode 2 Tx.

Cheers,

red
Old Nov 13, 2005, 05:14 AM
I'll Mace You Good!!!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
906 Posts
Mods, can you move this thread to Run-Ryder?

Just kidding. Be nice!

In Adelaide everyone at the club flys mode 1, thats what modelflight sell as "standard"

Im trying to learn mode 3 now, I want both cyclic controls on 1 stick for better travelling piros. There are + and - to all 4 modes, its personal preference I think.

The link I posted above might help with changing modes, sorry Im too lazy to repeat the info here.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 08:37 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkelby
Im trying to learn mode 3 now, I want both cyclic controls on 1 stick for better travelling piros. There are + and - to all 4 modes, its personal preference I think.
Mode 2 also has both cyclic on one stick, BTW.

http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg-v16/ch23.html#N11BC2

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:56 PM
United States, KS, Coffeyville
Joined Aug 2005
729 Posts
Ok thanks for the replies. I got it switched over now. By the way, funny to you or not Mode 1 for 99 % of people in the US is completely backwards. Kinda like how in England people drive on the left side of the road, everywere is different. Mode 2 is standard here as far as I know. I've never known anyone who uses or has ever used a Mode 1 TX here in the States...I'm sure there are plenty out there though. Sure people have their preferences, but you don't go into the LHS in the US and buy a heli or airplane and have to choose which TX Mode you want, you'll get Mode 2 everytime.
Snooptalian is offline Find More Posts by Snooptalian
Old Nov 13, 2005, 07:00 PM
I'll Mace You Good!!!
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
906 Posts
Thanks Toshi, I know but I figure it will be easier to learn and easier because I wont have to change throttle ratchet. If I go from mode 1 to mode 3 the throttle and cyclic stay the same, I think its easier for me to learn this way.

So far so good but its just like learning to fly all over again! Concentrate Hard!

Snooptalian, glad you got it fixed. Thats the opposite of what its like in Adelaide, all mode 1.