HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2005, 07:50 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Build Log
Building a 10 Rater from scratch

This boat is being built strictly for fun. I really liked the looks and size of the 10 rater class. So I thought why not build my own. The pictures show the first part of the process. I'm using blue foam for the hull shape and will glass it once the shape is perfected. This will help defer the cost of buying a kit that can run $1400.00. The mast and sails will be another matter.
The foam shaped hull will be vacuum bagged in carbon fiber. Next will be the deck. Not exactly sure how I will do that but it will show itself once the hull is ready.
Vernon Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Vernon Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:39 PM
Wilsonville, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2000
792 Posts
Good luck on the project. Please keep posting pictures as the process and progress will be interesting to watch.
Keith Watson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Watson
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:05 AM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Here are a couple of pics showing the shaping progress. Its alot of careful work. The foam dust gets everywhere. But, she's looking like a racer. With any luck may be able to start the glassing and bagging this week.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 04:53 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
A great project Vernon, it is so good to see people building rather than buying. I will look forward to seeing how this progresses, are you using the lines from any particular design?
graham_mca is offline Find More Posts by graham_mca
Old Nov 13, 2005, 05:30 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Graham,

Well actually kinda. I saw a boat add in Ribiero Products for the Tomahawk that caught my eye. But trully its my own because I have no info whatsoever on the Tomahawk except the lenght, beam, etc. The size is based on that info so I can use some of the off the shelf parts. Plus this sized boat will fit in my car so I can get it to the lakes I want to sail it in.
I'm originally from the Milwaukee area and see you are a Wisconsinite. Small world!!
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:16 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Sheboygan, WI
Joined Feb 2002
1,030 Posts
Not quite that small though Vernon, I am an englishman with an american wife... lived here three years now. Yorkshireman by birth! So maybe you know Sheboygan a little?

Graham

"Come and join us, Sheboygan Area Boat Modellers" http://www.mcallisterdesigns.com/sabm.htm
graham_mca is offline Find More Posts by graham_mca
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:53 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,789 Posts
Nice work Vernon!

I have a couple of 10 R plans on the shelf, but the size of the boats have kept me from building one so far (it has to live somewhere after she's been built...)

I'll follow this thread and see how you fair.

I agree, that sanding the foam is very messy, I only do it outdoors, wearing protective clothes and a mask, to keep my allergies at bay.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:31 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
pompebled,
I've got a background in design and have been designing everything from airplanes to motorcycles, etc. for over 40 years. With a model builder background that goes with it I hope to be somewhat succesful with this undertaking. This will be my first big boat for R/C and hopefully won't be the last. I thought it would be an encouraging thing to have on this site for the guy that needs to see what is involved in making a boat from foam and glass.
My wife says at least it will make a nice room divider when its done.....
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:31 AM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
this might help with the dust.

SANDING TABLE

INSTRUCTIONS

guys,
just a thought. on one of these lists a guy built a sanding table. he used a peg board on top and ply on the bottom. in the center of the bottom one he put a hole that would take the hose of a vacum.
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Nov 19, 2005, 05:53 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Wingnut163,
Great idea, but most of the sanding is done. Living in Florida helps because I can sand outside. In fact I'm epoxing the plywood top edge on this evening to create the deck mount. The hull itself has been almost finalized so I figured it was time to get on with the layup. I only have to put the transom plywood in place. Tomorrow I will do some final sanding and put some light glass to bond the ply to the hull.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 06:58 AM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Here are the latest pictures. The deck ledge being glued on. With this double layered plywood edge I have created the step for the deck to fit into. Today I will cut and fit the transom. Then on to glassing.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 02:06 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Let the glassing begin. Finally had time to put the first layer on this morning. I still haven't determined what the layup schedule will be, but I had to start somewhere. This is 9.6 oz. boat cloth for the first. I think next will be 5.7 carbon cloth. finally will be another layer of 9.6 cloth. This should be plenty strong. The surface looks pretty good after staring at it for days in foam. The glass has started to give it some sheen so I can see the shapes better. Looks good to me.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 02:35 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,767 Posts
Nice looking hull Vernon!

Man, my wife would kill me if I attempted a glass layup in the living room!!!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 22, 2005, 02:58 PM
Florida
Joined Mar 2005
806 Posts
Not even a drip on the rug!!! She is at work when I do these foolish things..... and never finds out. At least I wore gloves for this boat layup. It was too windy outside today so I had to move indoors.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 03:06 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,767 Posts
I noticed the clean rug under your boat!!! I would have made a real mess of it!

again, nice looking hull, the shape reminds me of the 1:1 MaxZ86's
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded