HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2005, 07:56 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
DWE Mini Sport pictures

I thought I better take some pictures of my new Mini Sport before I go crash it. The Mini Sport, from slowfly.com, is made mostly of 1/32" balsa. 2 actuators control the rudder and elevator, and a KP00 motor provides the thrust. With a 300mAh battery (which is kind of large for a plane this size) the AUW is 31.5 g. It could be built lighter if CA wasn't used, but I just did what the instructions said to do. Anyway, here's the pictures.

Roger
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2005, 08:57 PM
Let it Be
USA, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Jul 2004
307 Posts
What Did You color With?

Nice pictures. Let us know what you colored with, and how she flies. I have one of the kits, but haven't ben able to get to it yet.
dhable is offline Find More Posts by dhable
Old Nov 13, 2005, 05:49 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
I used acrylic airbrush paint by Createx applied with an airbrush - opaque red and opaque yellow. It looks better in the pictures than in person - the balsa grain is plainly visible through the yellow. It would look better if I applied some sort of clear gloss topcoat but I was trying to keep the weight minimized.

The 2nd and subsequent flights were fine. The maiden flight resulted in an uncontrolled landing due to having programmed 50% positive exponential into the transmitter instead of 50% negative. The wild landing resulted in breaking a chunk out of the motor cowling but that was easily repaired.

Roger
Old Nov 13, 2005, 08:19 AM
Let it Be
USA, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Jul 2004
307 Posts
What Receiver/Battery?

Are you using an RFFS-100 receiver/speed controller? Are you using one of slowfly.com's batteries?

I also fly their Super Skeeter (mine is red and blue as compared with your black/yellow). I also recently picked up their P-38 kit (though I haven't had the time to start it). I still get glitches flying the skeeter, because of the wide-band receiver, although I have discovered that in one particular gymnasium, flying on channel 11, I am totally glitch-free. It's a lot of fun, and I always draw a crowd with it.
dhable is offline Find More Posts by dhable
Old Nov 14, 2005, 07:13 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhable
Are you using an RFFS-100 receiver/speed controller? Are you using one of slowfly.com's batteries?

I also fly their Super Skeeter (mine is red and blue as compared with your black/yellow). I also recently picked up their P-38 kit (though I haven't had the time to start it). I still get glitches flying the skeeter, because of the wide-band receiver, although I have discovered that in one particular gymnasium, flying on channel 11, I am totally glitch-free. It's a lot of fun, and I always draw a crowd with it.
I fly with JMP narrowband receivers on my micro models. I fly with 2 different clubs so narrowband is the only choice for me. I look forward to the day when a narrowband brushless receiver/ESC unit is sold. The Mini Sport is using Microbatics 300 mAh batteries from slowfly.com.

Roger