Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:51 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Video: The Scythe and the Stone

The Scythe is the melodramatic name I've given to the sharpest part of Raven Ridge, my home slope near Grand Junction, Colorado. Got out there early this week and the lift was EXCELLENT! The Sky was BEAUTIFUL! And the Book Cliffs were DRAMATIC!

A scythe (say it like "size" with a lisp: "sithe") is also the long, slightly curved blade-on-a-stick that farmers used to use to cut down hay, and that Death wanders around cutting down swaths of people whose time has come. So, between that and Raven Ridge, it's possible that there's a little too much Halloween going on in my head.

Be that as it may.

The singletrack-sharp ridge and the gently curved bowl that leads to it were the scene of some frighteningly fun flying. The wind was 15-20mph at the edge, out of the perfect SE. Lift was superb, and the DS groove was going OFF!

Best of all -- for you video junkies -- I happened to have the video cam along. (I'd "already done" Raven Ridge in the last video, and almost didn't bring it.) And my buddy Glenn was along to wield it.

My trusty Spinner DLG -- which seems to push the envelope of its design spec -- was in good form. And -- at long last -- the elements collided: I got to fly it in good lift AND have a good cameraman along.

There's a little of the Weasel Pro also. Showing its DS stuff. And an interlude -- The Stone -- of the flying over the edge of a convoluted "no retrieve" rock cliff that I got in on last weekend's trip to Moab. Whew! I'm already having sooooo much fun flying and doing these videos, it's sort of ridiculous that I spent a meal-less, sleepless day/night writing, arranging and performing the whole soundtrack -- Just to add to the fun!

So... Enjoy!

www.lavawing.com
The Scythe

As usual, please download to your hard drive before viewing. It works better that way for everyone.
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:14 AM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
(downloading)

At this rate, we should start a channel - maybe a HD channel on DirectTV just for Sloping videos.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:08 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,195 Posts
Great video as usual.

But I've got one question. Where's the Moth?
You've got this great DS ridge and are DSing it with a foamie
handlaunch that looks to be trying to fold in half and a squirly Weasel.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:20 AM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2004
3,509 Posts
hey, back off of the weasel "BEE BOY"

I love his videos. I hope to pick up a good camcorder so I can start putting some of my own vid's up.

Are you guys gonna get any flying in this weekend or will you be weathered out?

Can't believe I'm up at 1 am. I was just trying to finish a couple of planes but have run out of steam.

Yah, Like he said Where's the Moth?

DAVE
Chief High Horse is offline Find More Posts by Chief High Horse
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:48 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minhuahua
hey, back off of the weasel "BEE BOY"
Hey, don't get your panties in a bunch. I've owned two Weasels and I've
flown and DS'ed Greg's. His is squirly and hard to fly fast, compared to.. well..
everything. His might be partly setup, but there are definitely better/faster
foamies for the task.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2005, 04:30 AM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
way cool vid
MtnGoat is offline Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Nov 12, 2005, 05:08 AM
Needs brain lubrication
Aachen, very western Germany
Joined Dec 2004
1,391 Posts
Boah, wie geil is das denn?!

...wich translates into the english...

Cool!

Btw, your video site is very nice designed.

biber
biber is offline Find More Posts by biber
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:38 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Hey, don't get your panties in a bunch. I've owned two Weasels and I've flown and DS'ed Greg's. His is squirly and hard to fly fast, compared to.. well.. everything. His might be partly setup, but there are definitely better/faster foamies for the task.
True dat! The Weasel is really good for a lot of different things, but it's not the best plane for DS. Has a real tendency to flop upside down and auger in, usually at very high speed. May have something to do with the way the pushrods are setup, maybe it's the design, who knows... but there are better planes for DSing, both in terms of speed potential and ease of use on the backside once the speeds get up.

That said, DSing a Weasel is a real challenge and the upside is that everything else will be easier!

Sweet video... isn't that bass line from an Eminem song?

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:53 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
Cool vid. It must be hard to get a Spinner DLG (that is what it is, right) screeching like that in DS.

There's a certain entertainment factor to be had by DSing planes that aren't supposed to DS. I DSd my ArtHobby Falco the other day and it was way fun. Got it screeching as well.

My favorite part of the video was when Danny Bonaduce launched your Spinner.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:07 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Great video! Love the sound of the DSing action...though I do disapprove of the Weasel abuse! LOL!!! Where's your cg on that bumpy little bugger???...behind the TE?!? Fun stuff and a beautiful site. Must feel like you're stanindg on top of the world.
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:17 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Hey! Thanks for the good comments! Man, am I having fun! Love the flying, the shooting, the creating, and the sharing.

Ian: Moth? I thought all I needed was a Bee?

(The Moth still lies in partial ruin from an "incident" at Lands End last month. Must... repair... soon...)

Surfimp: Eminem stole that bass line from me! (I guess. I don't know that song of his, but I do like the bass line! Makes me fly faster just listening to it in my head.) The best reason I could think of to DS the Weasel was to see if I could do it. Answer: sort of.

screamin' eagle: I spent months and months trying to DS the Spinner (or anything) with no real success. Two things seemed to make the change for me: One, finally seeing it live with Ian at Glacier ridge. That helped all the videos I'd been watching begin make sense. Two, flying The Scythe (Heh, heh. So dramatic!), where the shear layer is generally so clean and sharp that it's actually kind of easy. It's like remedial DS when the winds are light. (If you want to see what I'm talking about and need a good nap, watch the very boring At Last video under Other Flight Videos at www.lavawing.com) Like many things I've done, it was easier to start slowly, and work up from there. With the narrow ridge, sharp shear layer, light plane and light wind, I couldn't get much slower. And mistakes happened so slowly I could learn to correct them. Or, if I couldn't, the plane wasn't going very fast when it crashed.

I think I'm getting onto it now. For a DLG flyer, anyway.

InTheLift: It is a very beautiful site in it's stark and dramatic way. I've enjoyed the view anyway on those days I did not end up In The Lift. There are steep hiking trails to the top of the Book Cliffs, and someday I'm going to load up a pack full of planes, hike up, and throw them off. (Afternoon SW winds off the west side of Mt Garfield!!)

I just balanced my Weasel on two sharpened chop sticks, and the CG is 4 3/8 inches behind the leading edge at the side of the fuse. I don't even remember what the recommended CG is. But any further forward, and it feels like I need too much push to fly inverted.

Next project: Build or fix something, I hope. (Sorry. No video of that.) But, uh... We're going back out to Raven Ridge tomorrow, and I'll have the cam along...
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:25 PM
Breaker of wind and wings
Montrose, Colorado
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
Hmmmm -

I just may have to bring the GV-60 there to the Scythe in the spring when the wind is pumpin. Heck maybe as soon as I get it built.... It's only an hour and a half's drive.

-Konajoe
Konajoe is offline Find More Posts by Konajoe
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:32 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Joe: I'm not sure I understand. You "may" have to bring the GV-60? Of COURSE you have to bring it! I'll allow you ONE flight elsewhere to trim it out, then you're HERE!
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:39 PM
Montrose, Colorado
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
Mkay -

-Konajoe
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:40 PM
Montrose, Colorado
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
I'll trim it at Lands' End ( Skys' Beginning )

-