Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:35 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined Dec 2004
28 Posts
Comp Arf Impact w/ AXI 5330/F3A

I have an extremely overweight Impact that was powered by a Plettenberg Xtra 30-10. It flew well when it was calm and cool, but add wind and high temperatures and the vertical performance was juuuuuuuust enough to finish the pattern.

Heard about the new AXI F3A wound version of the 5330 and thought I would give it a try now that the season is over. I originally intended to use the motor on next years planes, but once I knew it shipped I couldn't wait that long so I converted my Impact for it. Installed it last night, flew it today and all I can saw is WOW!

I am still in awe of the difference in power... I have way more power than I need with this plane. At just over 12 lbs it was adequate for Advanced pattern and marginal for Masters with the Plett. Now the verticals are as tall as I want them, and most of the time today I was having a hard time keeping the geometry of the manuevers right with all this power!!!

There are drawbacks... mainly weight and current draw. With weight, you just have to plan for it, which will be taken into account with my next planes. The current draw is not that big of a problem really.

Using a 22x12 prop I was getting 67 amps, 2400 watts, with 5400 RPM with the Plett. With the AXI, I am getting 85 amps, 2800 watts, and 5800 RPM. Thats a big power difference with the RPM! At the end of the flight, I really didn't use that much more capacity... it was just slightly more, like 1-200 mah, than I had with the Plett. Using TP 6000 Pro Lites... that's not a difference to even worry about.

When I heard about this motor, we tried to find somebody to order them from. Everybody we called either never heard about it and therefore wouldn't order it, or wanted a minimum order of 5 pre paid. A friend of mine called Richard at Pacific Models up in Vancouver and they said, "sure I can order those, how many do you want?" We ordered one a piece and a couple weeks later mine was waiting at my doorstep. Price was just under $240!!! The Plettenberg retails for $455!!! I had never dealt with Pacific Models until this point and I'm pretty impressed. His prices for AXIs and Jeti controllers meet or beat everybody else, and his prices on batteries are better than I've seen. Try him out at www.rcmodels.ca ask for Richard and tell him Tom Messer sent you... I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just impressed.

Here are some pics.
exfokkerflyer is offline Find More Posts by exfokkerflyer
Last edited by exfokkerflyer; Nov 10, 2005 at 09:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2005, 04:39 AM
Czech Republic, Plzeň Region, Město Touškov
Joined Feb 2002
535 Posts
Nice to see some real world numbers for this motor on decent LiPo's. I was going to have one for my 25% Ultimate, with 10S TP5300's. But at 85A! That's way too high for my liking. Looks like another big Hacker instead.

Alan
Cosmic is offline Find More Posts by Cosmic
Old Nov 11, 2005, 06:36 AM
Windsor, Colorado
Joined Dec 2003
141 Posts
What is the difference between the 5330 F3A and one of the stock 5330s? Just a lower winding count?
Tweet is offline Find More Posts by Tweet
Old Nov 11, 2005, 10:05 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined Dec 2004
28 Posts
The winding on the F3A is supposed to be around a /20, though AXI hasn't said that officially, it's just what I heard.

As far as the amps go... I hear ya, I was alarmed at first too when my Dad put a /18 in a 30% Yak the amps were about 89. The Jeti 90 amp controller handles it like a champ and the batts hardly even get warm. Of course, they way we fly full power is seldom used except in short bursts (5-10 seconds). Used like that the amps will never hurt ya.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:53 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined Dec 2004
28 Posts
Put on five flights yesterday on the new motor and I'm still excited by the performance. After I charged a set of packs or two I noticed that I was putting in a lot of mah, around 3800 for a 9 minute flight. Not excessive, and I have done the same with the other motor in windy conditions... but I feel it's too high for the power I have available. So, I adjusted the throttle curve on my radio so I would use less 'juice'. I like to fly horizontal lines at half stick, and I was flying too fast... after the adjustment it was much better, though it will still require some tweaking. I haven't charged the batteries since those flights but with a quick check of the voltage on the used packs, I think I will put 3000-3300 back in on a similar flight.

The motor temperatures after I put the spinner on were pretty much the same. Temps in the windings between 130-145 F, and the can was barely warm at 85-90 F.