HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:43 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Epsilon 1.5 vs. Spyder-Sixty

I just got a new Spyder-Sixty to replace my old Epsilon 1.5.

I expected the two planes to be identical, but it turns out that there's one significant difference. Both have full-span ailerons, but while the ailerons on my Epsilon 1.5 actually meet in the middle and touch each other, my new Spyder-Sixty has a small fixed section of wing, about 1.5 inches wide, in between the ailerons and directly over the fuselage. That means that while the downward aileron deflection of the Epsilon 1.5 is limited to the point where the ailerons hit the fuselage, the downward deflection of the Spyder-Sixty ailerons is limited only by the hinges. Therefore they are capable of descending much further. That's an improvement, and I hope to take advantage of it by setting up my servo linkage for as much travel as possible.

I wonder if current Epsilon 1.5 gliders are made like my new Spyder-Sixty, or if the difference still exists. If the two planes are different, that's something for others to consider when deciding between them.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:49 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
680 Posts
Build Fast

So Mike, Will you have it flying by Saturday?

Or will it languish forever like "someone else's" we know?

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:05 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
The servos should arrive tomorrow. SoaringUSA has good prices and free shipping on those too. I'm getting two HS-125MG for the wings and two HS-81MG for the v-tail. The only thing I don't have yet is a Mouser phone jack to charge the battery (hint, hint).

As you probably noticed, that Epsilon 1.5 was my favorite sloper, so I don't intend to waste any time getting this replacement flying. I'll never make it by this Saturday, but I should have it for the weekend after.

Meanwhile, I'm sure my Epsilon 1.5 is still flying around up there ever since hurricane Wilma sucked open the cap on my pickup truck and carried it away.

Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:25 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
680 Posts
switchjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
The only thing I don't have yet is a Mouser phone jack to charge the battery (hint, hint).
I'm putting one in mmy transmitter box for you right now. Remind me Saturday.

Radian
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:31 PM
Useless Bay, WA
Joined Sep 2005
2,009 Posts
When I got my Epsilon 1.5 late last winter it had the solid TE at the root. I think also the paint on the wing tips is different between new, and old I went with JR 241 mgs all around with all up weight at 17 1/2oz. It since day one has been a very predictable ride I think I might look into ballast a month or so ago got a carbon banana in the air, and I'm still happier with the epsilon I think I just need to grow into the banana. I always find myself tempted to get one of the bigger spyder ships then I find myself being swept off to 3m candy land.
ploof is offline Find More Posts by ploof
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:51 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,438 Posts
Quote:

Meanwhile, I'm sure my Epsilon 1.5 is still flying around up there ever since hurricane Wilma sucked open the cap on my pickup truck and carried it away.

good story!!,but..did that really happen? or are you just makin it up?

marty
prplgoat is online now Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Apr 09, 2006, 11:46 PM
Joined May 2005
139 Posts
Epsilon vs. Spyder Sixty

Is the Epsilon lighter than the Spyder??
MustangAce is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:06 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are the same plane, and he was experiencing different versions.
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:20 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Epsilon 1.5 on sale

Looks like Nesail.com has the Epsilon 1.5 on sale for $199.95. Does it look like yours?

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=2939

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Apr 10, 2006, 06:26 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
That's a great price, so long as Sal doesn't get it all back with inflated shipping charges. I'd call first and ask him two questions:

1. How much for shipping, and...

2. Does the wing trailing edge have the small fixed section above the fuselage that allows the ailerons to drop below, or do the ailerons meet in the middle and hit the fuselage when they go down?

It's lots more fun to have that extreme downward aileron deflection available, but it's not really necessary.

If anyone calls about it, please let us know.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 09:36 AM
Joined Feb 2006
955 Posts
Quote:
That's a great price, so long as Sal doesn't get it all back with inflated shipping charges. I'd call first and ask him two questions:

1. How much for shipping, and...

2. Does the wing trailing edge have the small fixed section above the fuselage that allows the ailerons to drop below, or do the ailerons meet in the middle and hit the fuselage when they go down?

It's lots more fun to have that extreme downward aileron deflection available, but it's not really necessary.

If anyone calls about it, please let us know.
Don't worry about the ailerons meeting in the middle. You just have to find yourself:
a) a round file, or a Dremel grinder
b) a piece of fine sandpaper

Then:
-You grind a semi circular piece out of the corners of the ailerons, above the fuselage (more or less the same diameter as the fus.)
-You will need to insert the sandpaper between the ends of the ailerons and open up the gap to approx 1/16th." or 0.5mm., otherwise the edges rub together, before reaching max. travel down.

No big deal at all. 15 mins. max. and you have all the down you will ever need.

Incedently, as I mentioned in another thread, if you are gpoing to use flaperons (down) anything like as much as you can with this small mod (or even without it), DO NOT FORGET TO RESET FLAPERONS TO ZERO OR NEGATIVE BEFORE DIVING! I have manged to destroy two sets of plastic pinioned servos this way and have been very lucky not to destroy sixty/toplight/mini-spider/x-race or whathaveyou in the process!

Also, really, you don't, in fact need the max. travel down, as it climbs like an atlas rocket with 2-3mm of flaperon and landing is better with max. NEGATIVE flaperon(spoileron) plus a couple of mm. elevator UP mixed in.

For fast rolls, you should have already eliminated the big down movement, with the aileron "Diferencial" which I have at approx 3:1 (up/down) and find ok.

Marvelous little plane. Have fun with it.
Cheers,
Christopher
doddlepots is offline Find More Posts by doddlepots
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:13 PM
Joined May 2005
139 Posts
Epsilon

I called and Sal said he only had one left! The shipping charges were inflated but the airplane was blue and white and the ailerons didn't meet at the fuse! Can't wait to get this bird. My first real slope ship!
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:56 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce
I called and Sal said he only had one left! The shipping charges were inflated but the airplane was blue and white and the ailerons didn't meet at the fuse! Can't wait to get this bird. My first real slope ship!
What did he get you for shipping, by the way?
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:02 AM
altitude adjustment
USA, CA, Irvine
Joined Mar 2005
495 Posts
hey all,
my brother-in-law stepped on my Epsilon 1.5 (that was 2 years ago and i'm still pissed!) so i got a Spyder-Sixty to replace it. 17.5 oz. AUW?! i don't think my Spyder-Sixty can come out that light. keeping weight in mind during the entire build, my Sixty came in at 20 oz. never weighed the Epsilon. i noticed the Spyder has carbon in the servo wells and the Epsilon's servo wells had balsa exposed with no carbon. maybe the Sixty is built stronger/heavier. aside from the mentioned differeces such as the root TE and the differences in the paint, i've noticed no other differences between the 2. my Spyder-Sixty's set up with HS 125's in the wings, a single HS 85 for elevator, Electron 6 and a 720 ma ballery. SUSA had them on sale when i bought mine: $217.00 with free shipping. pretty killer deal. pretty killer plane.
thumbhead is online now Find More Posts by thumbhead
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:57 AM
Joined May 2005
139 Posts
shipping

$45