HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2002, 05:50 PM
Terry Dunn
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
844 Posts
Lanier 1/2A "Shrikeski"...almost done

Bought the 1/2A shrike kit a few months back for $20. I finally got around to building it. I decided to make it Mig-like with a few simple mods. I also drew some panel lines and used Rudderman's trick for easy faux rivets. I'm pleased with the results. Maiden flight probably wont happen for a week or more, but I'm expecting good things. I threw together a web page with some pics which I'll update after the maiden.

http://users2.ev1.net/~nbad/shrike.htm

mopar_man is offline Find More Posts by mopar_man
Last edited by mopar_man; May 24, 2002 at 06:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2002, 09:28 PM
Zebulon, NC
Joined Aug 2000
5,086 Posts
Looks good, but I hope you have a contrasting color on the bottom

When I had mine it would roll quick and with one solid color I would have never been able to tell if it was right side up or not.
Steve H. is offline Find More Posts by Steve H.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2002, 11:35 PM
Seattle WA
Joined Jan 2002
207 Posts
control throws

very nice, i like that old fashion mig look. I had one a long time a go with speed400 and 7cells 600mAh. It can move nicely, great aerobatics, but too bad i didn't know about snap spin back then
mine met its demise when i yanked the elevator up too much at too low an altitude, smack! So you should stick with the recommended throws, especially with a design like this one.
It's so funny thinking about it, it flew like a F18 when i was gentle with the controls, but when i yanked it......i just couldn't figured it out back then...hehe.
have fun.
Mig17 is offline Find More Posts by Mig17
Old May 25, 2002, 07:37 AM
Terry Dunn
Joined Jan 2001
844 Posts
I put 2" wide "invasion" stripes on the bottom of the wing for orientation. Hope that's enough.

Time to go camping...have a good weekend everybody.
Old May 31, 2002, 07:21 AM
Terry Dunn
Joined Jan 2001
844 Posts
Update: I still havent flown the shrikeski, but I did rework the nose a bit. I didnt like the looks of the 1.5" spinner that was on there. So I put on a Graupner spinner (smaller) and added a lip around the firewall to make it look somewhat like the nose of a Mig-21. This also allowed me to add some air inlets on the firwall just outside the perimeter of the spinner. I know it doesnt look quite right, but I think it's better than before.

There's a couple more pics on the web site.
Maybe I'll actually fly this thing tomorrow.
Old Jun 04, 2002, 10:48 AM
West Dundee, IL, USA
Joined Jul 2001
845 Posts
So have you flown it yet?

I just finished mine and put it in the air with a SP300, 5:1 box, a 9X6 and 8 cells. It flew fast, and was quite stable, even with the fairly large prop, but I did have tip stalling when I attempted to loop.

Has anybody else noticed this? If I traded torque for prop speed do you think the problem would go away? I was thinking of the Wattage cobalt as a replacement.
tekochip is offline Find More Posts by tekochip
Old Jun 04, 2002, 11:31 AM
Terry Dunn
Joined Jan 2001
844 Posts
Yup the maiden flight was on saturday. I wish I had seen the other shrike thread talking about it needing reflex first. The first launch attempt resulted in a broken prop (APC 5x5). So I switched to a MA 5.5x4.5 and got a good launch this time. Very fast. It needed lots of up trim and right aileron. While flying around, trying to get it trimed out, I let it get a litle too far away and got disoriented. I put it in, but not bad. It took the left wing clean off. After 5 minutes in the shop, it's mostly fixed. I'm looking forward to trying it again...with reflex.
I was wondering how the 7.2z 300 would work in direct drive.