HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2002, 05:21 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Help preparing for first e-gull flight

Hi everyone,

Well I decided on the e-gull for my first plane and now I'm getting ready for my first flight. The batteries are charged and the plane is put together and set-up correctly(I hope). So why do I feel like I forgot to do something? What else should I do/not do. How should I set the trim on the throttle? Haven't got a clue. Also the push rods don't seem to move the aerlons very much, should I be concerned or does a little go a long way. I have no basis for comparison because I have never flown. Any suggestion would be a great help. Hope the weather stays nice.

Thanks for the support,

Steve
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2002, 06:12 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,073 Posts
First thing to do is make sure it's trimmed properly before 'powered' flight. To do this you need to do 'glide' tests with it. Remember this plane is a very good glider.

Go to a grassy field on a no wind day is best (take off wheels if there are any on your plane, the grass will only flip it). First, make sure wing is centered on fuselage. Power up the Transmitter (TX). Make sure the trim setting on the TX are in the middle. Make sure the throttle stick is down (off). Install the battery into the e-gull. Test the control surfaces that they are working. Next to a range check (if you can) by having some one hold the model while you walk a bout 50 yards away. The controls should still be working on your model. Then....

Okay now your ready for the glide tests. Remember no motor running for these tests.

What you want to see is a long straight flat glide (at least 30 - 50 feet). You are going to adjust the tail until you get a good glide from the E-GULL. See the manual on how to adjust the tail. So throw the plane 'straight' forward fairly hard and trying not to twist your hand (after a couple of times you'll know how much). If the plane turns one way or the other you can adjust either the trim tab on your TX or (as I did on mine, just adjust the appropriate rudder control rod by pinching or spreading the 'V' notch.) If it dives or porpoises adjust the set screws to adjust the angle of tail. Keep gliding until you get a decent glide.

THEN, enable the motor, and give the motor full throttle and throw it straight just like in the glide tests and you should be climbing. Let it climb to about 50 feet, then move your stick to left or right -- but not much. Do big circles. Don't hold the stick one way to long or you'll enter the spiral of death! Don't get to high. Back off on the throttle to quit climbing. Keep it close, not to far away.

Remember to keep the plane in front of you as this will help you orientation.

Keep the sun behind you. Don't let the plane get between you and the sun. You'll lose sight of it and could crash!

Pick a big field with not many obsticles hopefully none!

Oh, one more thing. Always do a test glide when you go 'again' to the field to fly. We found that the E-GULL sometimes would get out of trim and need an 'adjustment'.

Hope these hints help and most of all have fun and have a good flight. .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; May 25, 2002 at 01:29 PM.
Old May 24, 2002, 07:12 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
RCJ has covered most of the basics. Calm days are best, especially until you get the hang of it. Don't forget to keep the tx antenna pointed up and not at the plane (mine ran away from me yesterday and perched itself in a tree 30' up with thorny underbrush). Get a good understanding of the difference between ground speed and air speed (the scenario above was also complicated by a 4-5 MPH tail wind and I had very low throttle - I panicked and forgot about airspeed ).

In my experience, the throttle trim really doesn't do much but I will now try using it cranked up so that I always have some air speed.

In the first few flights, hook it up to the furthest notch on the control horn (see manual) and use the stick gently.

I didn't have as good instructions because I found this site after my first few flights (mishaps probably better describes it). I find that the porpoising effect is the worst thing once in the air but I will try out some of RJC's glide instructions above after the weekend.

Have fun. Before long, you will be wanting something with more control.
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old May 25, 2002, 09:15 AM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I can't wait to go for a flight.

Steve
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno