HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:10 AM
DCS
NorCal
Joined Nov 2003
426 Posts
What's the BEST Super Scooter Build Thread?

Greetings.

I found a great build thread on the Super Scooter yesterday but now it's gone!

Ahhhh!!!!

I'm open to suggestions on the best build thread for the SS.

Barring that, howz about a few questions:

1. What are the best servos for the Super Scoot?

2. Did I hear something about a carbon tube/pushrod tube mod for the 'fuse?

3. Coroplast or balsa for the tail?

4. Removable tail?

5. Ballast "bomb bay?"

I could have sworn there's a thread that addresses all of these issues, but it's hiding from me and IT AIN'T FUNNY!!!

Help!

Ciao.
DCS is offline Find More Posts by DCS
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:13 AM
DCS
NorCal
Joined Nov 2003
426 Posts
Doh!

Found it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...scooter+build+

It sucks wearing glasses AND being dumb, too!

Oh well. . .
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:33 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,536 Posts
That one actually started with the regular Scooter...the 36" version. Great little plane, and by all accounts of the larger Super Scooter, it too is a great flying plane. Some of the info in the thread you noted is transferable though. I LOVED my Scooter and will someday build another with the mods I talked about in my posts.
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:36 AM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
ITL, I don't know if this is a fair comparison or not, but how is the scooter compared to the weasel? aerobatic wise?
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:53 AM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Innocent
ITL, I don't know if this is a fair comparison or not, but how is the scooter compared to the weasel? aerobatic wise?
I think the Weasel excels in overall aerobatic capability. It's low wing loading really let's you yank it around in ways that are limited by your imagination. The Scooter rolls well...FAST...but is more of a carver. It kinda flys like a PSS plane...very neutral. It has a carbon tube for a spar the length of the wing...totally fun on the bungee. It can handle a lot of lead...builds out to about 12-13 ounces stock. I flew it most of the time with about 4 ounces of ballast on board, even in light conditions. Will fly in pretty darn light lift, and in some fairly big lift conditions. I've had over 20 ounces of ballast on this one in big lift conditions. Fun plane.
Last edited by InTheLift; Nov 10, 2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:25 AM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stark
Greetings.

I found a great build thread on the Super Scooter yesterday but now it's gone!

Ahhhh!!!!

I'm open to suggestions on the best build thread for the SS.

Barring that, howz about a few questions:

1. What are the best servos for the Super Scoot?
Any cheapo standard servo will do. Use three. (One in each wing plus elevator.) My SS has been pounded into the rocks at Nakalele a zillion times and I've never stripped a servo gear.

2. Did I hear something about a carbon tube/pushrod tube mod for the 'fuse?
Not a bad idea. The weak spot on the SS is the nose. The foam around the leading edge/nose intersection gets compressed over time and the nose area gets a little floppy. I'd be tempted to run a carbon stiffener from the nose back to about 3-4 inches behind the leading edge.

The tail boom is pretty stiff even without carbon., so a carbon pushrod shaft would be nice, but you don't really need it.

3. Coroplast or balsa for the tail?
Corro. The corro tail on my SS is still straight and flat and going strong after all the abuse the plane has survived. There's something good about the shape of the corro tail parts on the SS. They dont bend and warp like a lot of corro tails do on other designs.

4. Removable tail?
Only if you are very sure you plan to travel with the plane. It's a whole lot simpler not to bother.

5. Ballast "bomb bay?"
WHEEEEE!!

I could have sworn there's a thread that addresses all of these issues, but it's hiding from me and IT AIN'T FUNNY!!!

Help!

Ciao.
There are lots of foamie build threads that are not SS specific to be found here in the archives. Read a few of them over and then just figure out what you think will work.

Here's a link that shows both a Super Scooter and a Scooter in action at Nakalele.
http://www.maui.net/~courtice/hover3.wmv
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:16 AM
DCS
NorCal
Joined Nov 2003
426 Posts
Greetings.

Once again, Brian YOU DA MAN!

One more question for the Super Scoot Brain Trust:

What's the best RX / RX batt. combo for the Super Scoot.

Please advise at your leisure.

Thanks!

Ciao.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:04 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,681 Posts
The fuse is pretty big, so you can put pretty much anything you want in there.
I'd probably go for a big 4xAA square pack and either Hitec 555 or FMA M5 receiver.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:37 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,901 Posts
Brian

What was the deal w/ that spinning landing? Intentional? THat hoverbatics video is one of my faves. You and Steve make the landings look soo easy.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:15 PM
Boulder, Colorado
Joined Apr 2002
800 Posts
Hi,

I love my Super Scooter. I combined a number of build enhancements when I built mine. I decided to make the wing and tail bolt on because I want the ability to travel with it. I machined bolt sleeves out of aluminum for the wing and tail. If I had to do it again I would definitely add some plywood pieces to the top of the wing where the bolts/sleeves go. My wing pulled out right at the sleeves after a head-on with another plane up at Glacier Ridge.

I built my own tail with balsa over 2mm coroplast. Very strong, aerodynamic and it looks great! I just followed the build thread done by TFLG.

I wrapped the tape around the nose quite a bit to add alot of strength. I used the Redback criss-cross taping method on the wing to add additional strength. I also used the Goop/Tape/Goop/Covering/Goop method. I think I have about 6-7 layers of thinned Goop on the outside. Nearly bulletproof but needed on our rocky slopes.

Here is a few pics for you.

- David

P.S. I used the Electron 6, Hitec 85mg's in the wing and a Hitec 225 in the fuse.
Bigwave is offline Find More Posts by Bigwave
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:55 PM
Breaker of wind and wings
Montrose, Colorado
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
I have a Super Scooter also and love flying it. Great speed range and very stable but a slower than acceptable roll rate. It also tip stalls at the bottom of a loop if it's pulled too tightly.

DO NOT build your Super Scooter according to the directions that come with it. IF you do, you will be sorely dissapointed with the end result.

Im glad you are deciding to look here for build threads

Suggestions from my experience with the Super Scooter....

Bury the elevator linkage in the fuselage - use golden rods or such- the orig directions have the elevator linkage running exposed along the side of the fuse.

Dont use Silicon sealant to bond the CF rods in the wings & fuse - Nothing will stick to it except more silicon, and they will come loose eventually. Use P.U. glue and the result will be much better.

Dont use double sided carpet tape to attach wing & tail feather to the fuselage. Eventually it will come loose, get dirt in the adhesive. Use either P.U. glue, epoxy, goop for that - or do what BigwaveDave did and use nylon bolts.

Add a sub T.E. to the wing - the plans dont call for one but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it. My wing has tears in the EPP at the root right next to the fuselage side and the aileron because there is no sub. T.E to keep the EPP core tearing from happening during a hard landing.

Add a ballast system as there is no mention of such in the provided instructions.

Overall, the Super Scooter is a fun sloper with great potential but not if built
to the instructions that come with it - best bet is to simply throw the provided instructs out as soon as you get them.

-Konajoe
Konajoe is offline Find More Posts by Konajoe
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:09 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajroahkni
Brian

What was the deal w/ that spinning landing? Intentional? THat hoverbatics video is one of my faves. You and Steve make the landings look soo easy.
Hehe. That wa a case of holding on for one spin too many. I managed to stop the rotation, but I needed about 10 more feet of altitude to clear the rocks. Doh! Looked pretty cool though. As you can see in the vid, I just chucked the plane off the rocks and climbed back up again. No problem.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:16 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,408 Posts
Bigwave: Nice job on that build. Didn't I see a couple of vids starring that plane a while back? Maybe you could repost them while there's som much current interest in the Super Scooter.

Konajoe: My SS is one of my best rolling foamies ever. As you can see in the vid I posted, the plane is a rolling machine. I used two aileron servos and TONS of surface travel to get that kind of roll rate.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:30 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwave
Hi,

I love my Super Scooter. I combined a number of build enhancements when I built mine. I decided to make the wing and tail bolt on because I want the ability to travel with it. I machined bolt sleeves out of aluminum for the wing and tail. If I had to do it again I would definitely add some plywood pieces to the top of the wing where the bolts/sleeves go. My wing pulled out right at the sleeves after a head-on with another plane up at Glacier Ridge.
David,

Have you considered blind nuts and a plywood strip to mount your wing with?...just seems like it might hold better. I did this for ballast on my first Scooter...worked great. Just curious. I've been thinking about a Super Scooter since my good luck with the Scooter.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:31 PM
Dances With The Wind
Joined May 2002
6,408 Posts
I hope David doesn't mind me quoting a PM here. His questions and my responses are entirely related to this thread, so I thought I'd share:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stark
Aloha, Brian!

First, thanks for the links to the build thread and videos - both are great!

Next, more Super Scoot questions:

1. Spackle before tape? Given that this is a sport model and not a scale ship, should I bother with the spackle 'n sand routine?

Spackle is very much worth the effort. Just slather it on thick and let it dry, and then sand most of it back off. Spackle sands very easily, so the sanding job is quick and painless. It really pays off with a nicer looking plane.

2. Goop? I Gooped the Alula nose and I like the results. Does the Super Scoot need a similar treatment and if it does do I Goop under or over the tape?

I'm not a big goop fan, but lots of guys swear by it. I would probably just goop the nose and wingtips, on the outside, to cut down on tears in the covering from hard landings.

3. Reinforce the Coro tail feathers? I'm really close to ACP and can pick up carbon stiffeners if needed.

If you can find a 1/8 carbon rod, it will fit between the flutes of the coro, and your tail will be ultra stiff and warp free. If you fiind the carbon rods, pick up a few for me!

4. Seal the Coro edges?
Yes. Looks better and makes the tail stiffer.

5. Flight gear? I'm probably gonna use the HS56s but I'm unsure about the RX and Batt. I have a Hitech 8 ch. rig and a couple different RX batts. I'm concerned that the hole for the 8 ch. RX will weaken the nose.

There's plenty of room for a full size RX and battery pack. I've been thinking about trying the HS56's in a little foamie design I'm working on. If the airfoil is thick enough for full size servos, use em. They are cheaper, stronger, and more durable. The little bit of extra weight isn't going to hurt you.

6. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna run a ribbon of carbon around the nose top-to-bottom. I'll probably sand a very shallow channell so the carbon sits flush with the 'fuse. Said carbon will be applied post sanding and pre taping.

That might help cut down on foam tears in the nose area. My concern is that the carbon does not flex, so it might crack or buckle in a hard impact. I prefer carbon stiffeners inside the foam, and shock absorbing foam on the outside to soak up the impacts.

Brian, thanks again for all your help. You rule, my man!

Ciao.