HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2005, 04:41 PM
Snellville, Ga
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
Indoor blimp into micro airplane

hey everyone!
I have got a small 3 channel reciever from an indoor blimp, and the transmitter as well. It is on 27 mhz, but the tx range is only a few feet. Does anybody know how I might make the range better, or if I can. If i can, it will make a great indoor plane.
thanks
spikes
spikesleonard is offline Find More Posts by spikesleonard
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2005, 08:34 PM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
You may want to consider 2 things basically:-

1) increasing the length of the antenna wire at the receiver, and
2) modifying the transmitter to increase voltage to boost the signal.

You may search the the above under the bit car modification threads.

hklam
hklam is offline Find More Posts by hklam
Old Nov 10, 2005, 02:58 PM
Snellville, Ga
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
Thanks for the help, I will check that out and get back to you on how it goes

Spikes
Old Nov 24, 2005, 01:43 PM
Snellville, Ga
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
Well Finally I got everything going, and it seems to be working. Have not maidened yet, but it looks like it might make it.
Btw I dont know how to place pics.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 02:05 PM
Snellville, Ga
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
The pictures are here
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/bulkupload.php?ppaction=addphotos&do=preview&photo path=77169&upuser=&notify=no&defcat=500&deftitle=& defdesc=&numprocess=10&dthumbs=
I dont know if this will work
Old Nov 24, 2005, 02:14 PM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Spikes, the URL does not work. If you want to attach the images right below your message go to 'manage attachments' in your thread starter or click 'go advanced' just below. If your image is saved on you computer or desktop, go browse for it. Open it up in attachments section and clickity click and voila it will appear when you post your reply. Now you can have your pictures show up right here.
I am interested as to what your project looks like. Good Luck.
Electronick is offline Find More Posts by Electronick
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:06 AM
Snellville, Ga
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
These are the pics, Thanks for the help
Last edited by spikesleonard; Nov 25, 2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 11:03 AM
Texas, Plano, USA
Joined Jan 2005
810 Posts
spike,
1)how much does the reciever weigh?
2) are the 3 channels proportional?
3) where did you gut it from - the draganfly balloon blimp?
4) how much did it cost?
anestho is offline Find More Posts by anestho
Old Nov 25, 2005, 11:22 AM
Snellville, Ga
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
I got the electronics from the Indoor Airship Explorer. I think that is the same thing as the Balloon blimp from draganfly. It was about $15. Each motor works separately, and instead of the 3rd motor, I was thinking of using an actuator for elevator control. I dont have a scale, so I dont know any weights. I think the reciever is a little more than the general bit reciever.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 11:58 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Has it flown yet? About 5 years ago I tried to get the RC Blimp radio gear from American Science and Surplus, to fly in Dave Robelen's little pull out plan model in Model Aviation. Because I had no idea about building light or that a 6 volt nicad cut down to 4 cells still weighs more than the 3 50 mah nicads Dave recommended, made this model a failure. How far we have come from then!
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:29 PM
Snellville, Ga
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
It has not flown yet. I ran the battery out yesterdy just driving around. It still seems a little heavy though. Any ideas to make it lighter?
Old Nov 25, 2005, 01:12 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
It looks pretty light as it is, are you using contest balsa, and is that tissue for the covering?
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 01:18 PM
Snellville, Ga
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
I don't know what kind of balsa i is, but yes it is tissue. Would it be lighter if I used plasic wrap? I'm pretty new to alot of this stuff.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 02:24 PM
Texas, Plano, USA
Joined Jan 2005
810 Posts
NO! plastic wrap will be heavier than tissue. ALso, replace the plastic wheels with something lighter. I bet the wheels and the music wire is taking up alot of weight. Also the wingspan seems too small for 2 6 mm motors. You absolutely MUST get a micro scale if you are going to work in less than an 1 oz range. I use the $16 one from balsapr.com and it has 0.1g resolution. Even a few grams makes a huge difference in whether the model flies or not.

Consider making this a pusher to protect the props, then move the battery all the way up front. Make sure you sand down your tail and elevator fins to reduce weight further. Consider using a carbon fiber rod for the fuse. Just some suggestions

You need to know the weights of AUW (all up weight) and the total area of the wing to get any further, unless you want to do trial and error. Each 6 mm motor can pull about 4-5 g of thrust depending on the prop, so you are looking at 8-10 g thrust and a projected AUW of 18-20 g to get it to fly. The speed of the plane however is dependent on the wing loading. Wing loading = AUW (in oz) / wing area (ft2) . Try to aim for < 2 oz/ ft2. Get it to 5-6 and you gonna have a bullet
anestho is offline Find More Posts by anestho
Old Nov 25, 2005, 02:39 PM
Snellville, Ga
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will have a look at redesigning it, and getting a scale. I really look foward o getting it flying.
Btw I am using props from the backs of the Bladerunner helicopter. Are these good or should I change them ? Any help appreciated