HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2005, 04:12 PM
United Kingdom, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Sep 2004
548 Posts
How Small Does A Heli Have To Be To Be Classed As A Micro Heli?

Well, the title realy says it all. What size does it have to be?

Thanks Matt
littleport2003 is offline Find More Posts by littleport2003
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2005, 04:16 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
LOL, Matt, dont even go there, this has been discussed a few times before, and I dont think there is a 'correct' answer/rule. Mainly to do with the T-rex, the newer XLs exceed the 'limits' on here, and really belong in the E-heli forum, but almost everyone stays in this forum.

Duane.
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Nov 09, 2005, 04:51 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,210 Posts
I believe the original "cut-off" was 400 grammes (saw Toshi state this recently) but with Trexes weghing in at around 700, the point is arguable.

Certainly I am acutely aware that having a 700gm Trex with tip speed over 200kph is a vastly different prospect to having (say) a Blade CP in the same situation... but really they are still micro compared to even the smallest nitro heli..
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Nov 09, 2005, 05:12 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
This is obviously subject to personal opinion, but this is the classification system we've been using on RCgroups.

Micro helis:

These are powered by speed 300/350 class motors and weigh less than 400 grams.
This category includes:

Ikarus Piccolos
MS Composit Hornets
GWS Hummingbird
Century Hummingbirds
E-sky Honeybee
various clones of above
etc.

Mini helis:

These are powered by speed 400-480 class motors and weigh between 400 and 700 grams.
We post these in the micro heli forum because there is no mini heli forum.
Helicopters in this category include:

Shogun/Zap/Zoom 400
Align T-rexes
various clones of above
etc.

Larger helis:

These are powered by Speed 540 class motors or larger and weigh more than 700 grams.
Helicopters in this category include:

Lite Machines Corona
Ikarus Viper 70/90
Ikarus ECO 8/16
Mikado Logo 10/14/20/24
Henseleit 3DMP
Minicopter Joker/Joker 2/Maxi-Joker

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Nov 09, 2005, 05:16 PM
Scarecow
UK
Joined Sep 2004
2,361 Posts
When you stand a t-rex next to a 30 sized heli it looks micro no matter what the weight.
HoverBovver is offline Find More Posts by HoverBovver
Old Nov 09, 2005, 05:37 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,078 Posts
A T-Rex 450XL with a 4s setup weighs between 710 and 730g so I guess that makes it a large helicopter.

Darn, Iíve been posting in the wring section.

The Eolo is another helicopter thatís on the borderline between a mini and large helicopter.

RC
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 09, 2005, 06:03 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
1,744 Posts
The Trex is too popular and is an example of good design, good revisions, and great support from its parent company.

FWIW, I think the above guidelines that iron out differences between a true "micro" and "mini" class are spot-on. That said, I don't think mini's are that substantially different than micro's that they should be broken off into their own category or moved in with the larger electrics. Micro and Mini belong together, as long as we all kind of know they're a little differen than one another, but close cousins, nevertheless.
Johnny B is offline Find More Posts by Johnny B
Old Nov 09, 2005, 07:19 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
A T-Rex 450XL with a 4s setup weighs between 710 and 730g so I guess that makes it a large helicopter.

Darn, Iíve been posting in the wring section.

The Eolo is another helicopter thatís on the borderline between a mini and large helicopter.

RC
The T-rex 450XL is basically a slightly larger version of the T-rex which is a micro, so it goes in the micro section to keep all the T-rex stuff in one place.

The Eolo flies on a size 540 class motor and SubC cells, so it's not really a micro.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:00 PM
The wing is the thing
Great Bend, Kansas, United States
Joined May 2004
629 Posts
It's not the size of a mans heli that matters, It's how he uses it.
RANSWrench is online now Find More Posts by RANSWrench
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:00 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
1,744 Posts
I still say the Trex should be called a "mini" electric, because its over the 400 gram threshold and uses a different class of motor and larger batt's than the sub-400g crowd. But I don't see an issue combining Micro and Mini Helicopters togehter, perhaps the forum name should be changed to this to be more accurate, esp. since Trex posts are so common here.
Johnny B is offline Find More Posts by Johnny B
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:15 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
768 Posts
I also think the T-Rex should be reclassified as mini and i think there should be a seperate forum section for them.

I actually suggested in the suggestion section that a mini section be set up,but nobody hardly ever visits there so i'm sure it doesn't stand a chance.
mildewing is offline Find More Posts by mildewing
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:37 PM
NO NO come back...spLAT!!
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Sep 2005
872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANSWrench
It's not the size of a mans heli that matters, It's how he uses it.
nah, I still think bigger is better. I have that "my dad can beat up your dad" mentality. haha. performance? what'll happen if the bigger heli engages into a dog fite with yours? tee hee
kryptoniteRxn is offline Find More Posts by kryptoniteRxn
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:53 PM
The wing is the thing
Great Bend, Kansas, United States
Joined May 2004
629 Posts
I guess i'm just secure in the size of my heli. BTW When rotor blades collide I don't think any one wins. This reminds me of some thing that happened last winter. A real david vs goliath match. A race down a grass runway my 20" Pocket combat wing CD-Rom powered vs sig Cadet Senior .60 powered. Neck and neck at the end of the run I am out in front and get sucked ito the propeller of the cadet. coro and balsa fly and my wing spins into the ground. Was able to tape it back together and fly the same day.
RANSWrench is online now Find More Posts by RANSWrench
Old Nov 09, 2005, 11:05 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
A micro is something you can fly around the kitchen/living room without annoying yoursiblings and parents to much! My BCP is ok in the house, but when my Rex spools up- everyone yells at me!
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Nov 09, 2005, 11:43 PM
Northern California
Joined Feb 2004
586 Posts
"nah, I still think bigger is better. "

I agree here's a picture of my next micro.
T.J. Kong is offline Find More Posts by T.J. Kong