HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2005, 01:47 PM
Hull - East Yorkshire - UK
Joined Jan 2005
59 Posts
Twister Bell Mods

Hi all anybody out there got any twister bell 47 mods myself i'm looking to change the blades to esky lama 2 style blades i think a lot of their stablity comes from the style of blades they run.
AntWar is offline Find More Posts by AntWar
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2005, 02:22 PM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Ant
Not too much wrong with the standard setup I reckon, after many enjoyable hours with mine!. What exactly is the problem???. The Lama is a totally different beast --- not suitable for cross breeding at all!!! There really is no "magic bullet"; you just have to learn this stuff the hard way.

Peter

PS A quick re-read of the excellent Perkins instuctions is worth it --- it's all too easy to forget the basics in the midst of mind-blowing confusion of newbie heli experiencies: this is my first ever heli! by the way!!
peter frostick is offline Find More Posts by peter frostick
Last edited by peter frostick; Nov 09, 2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2005, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2005
59 Posts
Even my raptor 50 is less flighty than my twister ,the lama 2 blade grips fit the twister which will enable the blades to fit.
Just looking for some improvements thats all.
Old Nov 09, 2005, 02:43 PM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
AW
Frankly I'm very puzzled!!! Almost every other owner I know can fly these with their eyes shut (well almost!)!!! ---- are your bringing too much outdoor hi-power extreme stick movement experience into the equation?: it is just a simple beginners heli??

More news please -- I hate mysteries??

Cheers Peter
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:37 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,046 Posts
I've had the same thought about the Blade CX

I was lucky enough to get one of the first Esky Lama 2's in the states. I love it almost as much as my Hirobo XRB. Both have blade grips and blades that pivot. I believe the new Horizon Blade CX has "fixed" blades like the original Esky "Baby" and the Twister Bell.

I've placed a "pre-order" for the Horizon Blade CX too, and I've been wondering what the difference in flight is? It won't be expensive, and I believe that it only blades and the blade grips to make the change.

My only complaint about the Lama 2 is that you are constantly flying the tail. (the gyro just doesn't seem as effective as the Hirobo XRB)Maybe this is because the blades pivot in the grips?? Or maybe the pivoting blades are better than the fixed blades.

At any rate, it's just another "kit bashing" opportunity.
Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Nov 10, 2005, 02:19 AM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
AW
a quick thought ---- the battery needs to be well forward in the holder to obtain the correct CG: this has initially thrown quite a few owners, and me!

Cheers Peter
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:33 PM
Joined Jan 2005
59 Posts
Hi all have tried all batt positions and its still very tetchy tried a larger cell too for extra weight still no better raptor is very responsive needs only little inputs on my jr radio.
I can keep the twister in the air but it has now got a tail twitch like the gyro is swithing on and off so i will have to look at adjusting the thing if no improvment over the next flight or two.
Then if its the same there could be an electrical fault with the mix or yaw response.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 05:59 AM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
Check the two bearings of the main shaft, in my Twister/47G/ESKy V1 one of them was no good, causing vibrations...
I also have that gyroproblem now, not sure wat to do about that
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:25 AM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Pjotrrr
Is your heli a (UK distributor) "Perkins,Twister bell" or another clone???: There seems to be a lot of varience between some very similar sounding machines floating around the globe at present!!!
Many of our local UK modellers have "flown the socks off" this UK version of the beast without ever having a bearing problem; nor any gyro bothers??
Hopefully the rather frantic market situation will settle down after the Christmas panic!

Cheers Peter
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:33 AM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Antwar
This is just a long-shot! --- have you had to replaced the heli's inner shaft flybar mount ????: it is possible to assemble it 90 deg out of phase!! The flybar weights are of course nearer the leading edges of the blades? This is the only advice left in my "armoury"!!

Peter
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:19 PM
Joined Jan 2005
59 Posts
Hi Peter

its not the fly bar or the gain nor the proportional but it will not get in to a stable hover it will run off in random directions at speed on a scale of 1 to 10 its about a 3 about the same as my smartech which is not the most stable heli even though its fixed pitch.
This is what i have tried so far blade tracking /blade swap for spare pair
tracking is almost perfect ,shafts are straight bearings are fine
flybar is on correctly so many batt postions its becoming unreal the heli has had no major crashes most very light nothing bent or broken so im at a loss.
It circles slightly and will drift off very quickly in a hover if you correct it it will go off again and when i say slightly i mean about a couple of feet a second.
I know it should be good as my mates esky lama 2 is so stable and smooth at half the price its no joke i can fly his lama with my eyes shut its that easy thinking of sending it back to them.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:36 AM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Ho Hum????
Perhaps check that the swash bearing assembly has not sprung apart, thus giving too much play --- I think it just snaps together. The flybar must pivot very freely too.
This is not typical Twister behaviour at all, so sending it back may be the only asnwer.

Peter
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:58 AM
www.jmquetin.com
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter frostick
...Perhaps check that the swash bearing assembly has not sprung apart, thus giving too much play --- I think it just snaps together....
I found the swash bearing assembly can spring apart not only after an hard landing (which is quite normal and acceptable) but also is splitting during flight (the more you fly, the more play you have and of course the less control you have).
Is this a common problem or just mine ? All ideas to fix that are welcome.

Jean-Michel.
JMP-Team.
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin
Old Nov 13, 2005, 04:21 AM
south shields. England
Joined May 2004
962 Posts
Jean Michel
Steve Webb (Steve Webb Models) described this same problem on his site --- the cause was a "heavy Arrival", and a friend cured it by squeezing the two outer swash halves back together and applying very small amounts of thin cyano around the seam!!!: sounds risky to me?? unless you are used to micro construction!!
Antwar
Try pressing the upper and lower swash cases together between thumb and forefinger to eliminate possible slop?

We'll get there in the end!!!!

Peter
Old Nov 13, 2005, 05:37 AM
www.jmquetin.com
Paris - France
Joined Aug 2003
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter frostick
...Steve Webb Models described this same problem on his site ...and a friend cured it by squeezing the two outer swash halves back together and applying very small amounts of thin cyano around the seam!!!: sounds risky to me?? unless you are used to micro construction! ...
Peter,

I checked Steve's site but cannot find any mention of this problem on it.
Anyway, at first glance, I was quite reluctant to glue the two parts together when one is rotating and the other is not, even if I am -to some extend- used to micro-models !

After a carefull examination of the swashplate of my heli and of a spare swashplate I have, I came to the conclusion that the parts are not just squeezed together but glued. Therefore, the only way to fix the problem is to carefully clean (with acetone on half a Q-tip) the outside of the "tube" of the upper part (the rotating one) and to apply on it (with a needle) small drops of CA and then put back up the lower part by squeezing the two parts. Doing so, the upper part (or more precisely its "tube") is glued to the inner ring of the ball bearing of the lower part (the non-rotating one). Hope this is clear ?

So everything should be OK until the next hard landing !

Were are getting there ...

Jean-Michel.
JMP-Team.
jmquetin is offline Find More Posts by jmquetin