HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2005, 05:03 AM
Roswell, New Mexico, United States
Joined Aug 2004
48 Posts
this is cool any chance of you letting loose of a set of plans or kit?
would love to have it in my stable .
would be cool in black light and floresent paint job .
u.f.o. (oh no now they know i live in roswell)
russ
magicruss is offline Find More Posts by magicruss
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2005, 07:55 PM
Dave Raines
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2004
705 Posts
I'm looking into to kitting it. I doubt I would produce plans since so few people really build anymore.
Lemmiwinks is offline Find More Posts by Lemmiwinks
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:03 PM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
The videos are great!
Is there a photograph somewhere so I can marvel at the design?

http://rcguy.tripod.com
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:57 AM
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
tri-rotor!

Ok, so I got my tri-rotor going with 3 motors and 1 tilting motor/rudder control. I was wondering if it would be more stable if the motors were farther apart? Right now they are about a 20" circle diameter to motor shafts...

I have the GWS gyros on the motors and will try the new Futaba 401 gyro today...

I will post a picture soon...

Caleb
mrbisset is offline Find More Posts by mrbisset
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:48 AM
Dave Raines
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2004
705 Posts
You have to compromise between stability and performance. The larger you make the frame, the greater the moment of inertia will be about all axes. The increase in moment arm from the c/g to each motor only goes up linearly, whereas the moment of inertia will go up as the square of the distance. So as you increase the dimensions, you get a more stable but less responsive aircraft. Remember, the gyros are there to provide stability and they can be adjusted to suit your taste. A larger frame usually means more weight too....
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:46 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
mrbisset I saw the movie...
great job.
If you do start selling them one day tell me pronto.
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:28 PM
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
Video's here

http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...0&ppuser=47933

I will sell you one if you want...ready to fly?

Customized for you...

Caleb
mrbisset is offline Find More Posts by mrbisset
Old Dec 04, 2005, 02:24 PM
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
992 Posts
Good job, I had almost the same idea.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446084 mine will have a tail rotor like a heli. Glad you have your working, now I know where to come if I have problems! Is your CG under the rotors quite a bit or do you think that is not so critical? I'm guessing mine will be around 4oz RTF or less for my large version, hope to get 1.5oz or less for my small one!
FHHOBBIES is offline Find More Posts by FHHOBBIES
Old Dec 04, 2005, 03:58 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
Dave-

Any word on kits?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:49 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,787 Posts
Woah, this is awesome. Looks like an elite X-UFO. :P I wonder what it would cost, if it came to the stage of commercially available kit. Ive seen it happen to the hydrofoam, and it might aswell happen to this marvel of modernday RC technology. Patent it while its hot! Someone might steal the idea (also happened to the hydrofoam..).
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Dec 04, 2005, 06:44 PM
Dave Raines
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2004
705 Posts
Here some video of the TriCopter doing some basic aerobatics taken by Mike Hoffmeister: http://files.filefront.com/TriCopter.../fileinfo.html

Still looking into getting it kitted...
Last edited by Lemmiwinks; Dec 04, 2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 10:31 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
man, I'd love to see a kit of this thing.. I love the idea... You could hover it around your living room, if you choose..

What all does it involve? I would guess some CF rods with some light ply somewhere in there..

How serious are you about kitting it?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 05, 2005, 10:06 AM
Pro Bro #1119
Savannah, TN
Joined Aug 2004
113 Posts
gotta have one!!!!!!!!
tstanfill is offline Find More Posts by tstanfill
Old Dec 05, 2005, 10:33 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,787 Posts
Then better fork out the big bucks. This thing is loaded with expencive electronics.

But I sure like the looks of it. Perhaps you could go see some toy factory, and see if they can cobble together a nice RTF "toy" with an all in one electronics board, and cheap factory made motors and such, like somany micro helicopters out there. It ll just be a little more expencive then the rest, but with a "gadget" flare like that you can affort to. If its around 200 bucks, id be sure to get one!
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Old Dec 05, 2005, 12:22 PM
Dave Raines
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2004
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid
Then better fork out the big bucks. This thing is loaded with expencive electronics.

But I sure like the looks of it. Perhaps you could go see some toy factory, and see if they can cobble together a nice RTF "toy" with an all in one electronics board, and cheap factory made motors and such, like somany micro helicopters out there. It ll just be a little more expencive then the rest, but with a "gadget" flare like that you can affort to. If its around 200 bucks, id be sure to get one!
It's not that bad. What are you comparing it to? I have less in mine than most people have in a Trex. To start off with, you need three motors and ESCs. You could use three cd-rom motors with three of the Thunderbird9s. You need three of the cheap yaw rate gyros for the speed controllers. You could also use one for the yaw gyro, but you won't get the level of performance I had in mind. I use a gy240 for yaw control. When I designed it, I wasn't exactly thinking of selling it at "Toys 'R Us", I had performance in mind...