HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2005, 01:26 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
What's The Proper Procedure For Changing Spur Gear In Cobri Gearbox?

I need to change ratio in my Cobri. How do you remove and replace the spur? I have a puller for the pinion, but thought I would ask before trying the spur. Thanks.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2005, 01:39 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
A pinion or gear puller is - as the name implies for pulling off the pinion gear from the motor shaft. The spur gear on the Cobri Gearbox is simply presss fit. Firmly but carefully apply even pressure as close to the center of the gear as you can with two thumbs and it will come off.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Nov 08, 2005, 02:55 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Due
I need to change ratio in my Cobri. How do you remove and replace the spur? I have a puller for the pinion, but thought I would ask before trying the spur. Thanks. Randy
I take the shaft and spur out of the gearbox, slip the shaft between the jaws of a vice (just open enough to allow the shaft between) so that the spur rests flat on the top of the vice. Tap lightly on the 'front' end of the shaft and gently drive it down through the spur. Fit the new spur by placing it, front face down, on the top of the vice and tap the shaft through from the rear.

Cheers, Phil
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Nov 08, 2005, 08:37 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
Thanks! Any green Loctite on the spur needed?

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Old Nov 08, 2005, 08:57 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,205 Posts
No, it goes on over the splines.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Nov 08, 2005, 10:19 PM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003