HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2002, 12:00 AM
atlanta
Joined Oct 2001
63 Posts
guillows 24" aeronca champ rubber to electric conversion

hello guys,

..just for the hell of it i bought a guillows aeronca champ.
..am i nuts for trying to make this rc? yes- i have read about
others coverting rubber powered planes to rc- but not much
was mentioned on the aeronca. i was thinking about powering
it with a m100. again am i nuts? too high of wing loading to even bother or has anyone converted a plane with this small a wingspan (24") sucessfully?

thanks,
dave
davidbogart is offline Find More Posts by davidbogart
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2002, 11:58 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,757 Posts
You're not nuts, but it's a bit of a challenge. First off, an M-100 is way too much motor. I'd go with an HY 50B or HY 50D instead- I flew a Piper Pacer at about 27 inches on an HY-50D and it had plenty of power using a 6 cell 110 nicad pack and a 6 inch prop. Secondly, if you haven't built stuff like this before, it may be a bit much to ask your first one to fly- plan on rudder elevator, and you will need to lighten the structure, it's overbuilt in some areas, and weak in others.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old May 24, 2002, 12:20 PM
atlanta
Joined Oct 2001
63 Posts
sam,

who makes that motor you recommend and where can i
find it?

thanks,
dave

Quote:
keep the blue side up!
Old May 24, 2002, 01:55 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,757 Posts
David

Try Cloud 9- the address is on the www.rcmicroflight.com web site.

Sam
Old May 24, 2002, 04:10 PM
atlanta
Joined Oct 2001
63 Posts
sam,

thanks. beginning to seriously contemplate the
expenses vs actual fun during flight. this wing is
so tiny i feel like its going to have to fly like a bat
out of hell to stay in the air. i guess we will see.

dave
Old May 24, 2002, 04:26 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,757 Posts
David

the cost of the kit is irrelevant. It's everything else that's going to add up. Why not pick an airplane that gives you a better chance of success from the get go. Check that thread on rubber powered conversions- you might be lots happier on something like a Herr Scout. But these things are lots of fun.

Sam
Old May 24, 2002, 08:39 PM
atlanta
Joined Oct 2001
63 Posts
sam,

thats actually what i meant (the cost of everything else).
i think i will just make the aeronca into a decorative plane
and do like you said and go with a bigger kit. oh im sure there fun if you pick the right kit. thanks for the advice.

david
Old May 25, 2002, 10:47 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,185 Posts
Ziroli's Aeonca Champ

I built and flew the 36" wingspan Ziroli Champ from plans with molded windshield from about Nick two year ago This was my first small electric scale plane. It was a little to small in wing area to fly well with the recommended Titanic Airlines 3:1 280 gear drive and 8-cell 280 NiMh pack. Nick admitted that he should have designed it a little bigger. Mine flew well at a slightly higher than scale speed but would occasionaly snap roll and would not recover easily. If you have a yen to build electric scale, recommend you look at Pat's Custom Models website. He has a number of his 45-60" wingspan semi-scale models that will ROG, fly realistically and land gracefully on geared speed 400's and 8 500AR cells. You can even do a little beefing up and they'll fly nicely. When you really learn how to build light but strong enough, you will be more ready to attempt 24-30" rubber kit conversions with some hope of good flight performance and longevity. I'm anxious for really small inexpensive and efficient geared brushless power systems that get plenty of thrust on small light NiMh or LIon battery packs.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old May 28, 2002, 12:44 AM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,348 Posts
Before I start, I have no knowledge on this type of stuff. However, I have a Guillows Cessna 172 36" wingspan scale plan made for control line/FF/"small R/C equipment" (to quote the instructions) that I plan to turn into electric R/C 4 channel. The kit looks good, but I'm not sure I know what I'm getting myself into I have not started building this model yet, but I plan on it, and will let you all know, if interested, how it turns out. I won't know for quite some time, though. I'm looking forward to it, though.

Nick R.
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old May 28, 2002, 08:52 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,757 Posts
Nick R.

See my advice posted above. Actually Gerald has done this conversion- check his web site.

Sam