SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2002, 09:59 PM
Gone Soaring
VA, US
Joined Jun 2000
201 Posts
Long servo wire gauge???

I'm nearing completion of a large glider of mine have a few questions about the servo wires. I have mini servos all the way out in the wing to run the ailerons, inboard flaps have thier own servo. I have some standard guage servo wire that I can use to solder so that I don't excess connectors. My main question is, is the standard gauge heavy enough or do I need heavier gauge? If I do what is your suggestions. Also is interference from the long leads going to be a problem, the glider isn't electric poser so I won't have to worry about motor noise. If it might be a problem, would ferrit beads solve it. And if so where can I get small quanaties of them? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

Lee Skidmore

P.S. The servos are about 4 foot out on the wing so the leads will be in the range of 4.5 - 5 foot.
Skid is offline Find More Posts by Skid
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2002, 10:42 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,274 Posts
DEFANTELY use twisted or braided wire, not the flat ribbon type

Beads can be bought from New Creations

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old May 24, 2002, 10:52 AM
Gone Soaring
VA, US
Joined Jun 2000
201 Posts
The wire is twisted and I will order some beads. The other question is whether or not I need a heavier gauge? The wire I have is just the standard so I wasn't sure if the resistance over that long of a extension would be a problem. Thanks for the help.

Lee
Old May 24, 2002, 01:44 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,913 Posts
Lee,
Regular guage should be fine. We use it all the time in unlimited sailplanes. 4-5 foot length isn't uncommon. There's usually no need for beads or anything else. Twisted wire is recommended and you'll probably have no problem.

Good luck,
Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old May 24, 2002, 01:55 PM
Gone Soaring
VA, US
Joined Jun 2000
201 Posts
Thanks Lenny. I have a couple of big gliders, 100 - 120" but they are just RES. This is the first time I have had servos out in the wing for ailerons on a big glider. If you don't think I need the beads then I'll hold off and see if I need to get them after some ground checks and what not. It is comforting to know that the big guys use just the regular.

Lee