Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 07, 2005, 06:01 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
Saab J-35 Draaken

I am looking for a 3-view of the Saab Draaken for my next parkflyer style build. I went to the Russian Site http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/j35.html which is where I got the drawings for my Mig. When I unzipped the file they were in .PCX format. I opened them with Acrobat, but now the drawings look like they were compressed and skewed. The preview of the drawing looked fine. Is there some specific program I should use to open these, or any other place to get 3 views of this plane.
John Bright is offline Find More Posts by John Bright
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2005, 06:18 PM
bigglesjets
Notts UK
Joined Jul 2005
201 Posts
Hi John
Have you looked at this one http://hawker.smugmug.com/gallery/92080/5/3231613

Cheers
Alan
bigglesjets is offline Find More Posts by bigglesjets
Old Nov 07, 2005, 06:32 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
Thanks Alan, that exactly what I needed!!!
Old Nov 07, 2005, 08:48 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
Wow John...no rest for the wicked eh?

If this one is half as good as the MiG-29, it will be one sweet Saab. I'm signin on to the thread and looking forward to seeing it progress.

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Nov 07, 2005, 09:32 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
I enjoy building a lot more than I do flying this time of year. When I get off work it is already dark, can only fly on the weekends now. I am going to try and learn TurboCad while I'm doing this one, so my plans will hopefully will be a little more presentable. I ordered some 3mm and 6mm foam and might try some molding this time. I am a little apprehensive this time, since I have never done anything with delta-wings.
Old Nov 07, 2005, 10:25 PM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,338 Posts
TurboCad is alot of fun to learn, and very much worthwhile to learn....I learned it while putting out the F-20 plans. Hehe, I still have ALOT to learn before I will feel comfortable with it.

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Nov 08, 2005, 01:08 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,202 Posts
Some Danes and Swedes have done EDF Drakens.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=draken+
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238749

In July "clausxpf" was still sharing plans
quote:
Shakysticks..
of cause i do.....
send me a notice on ... fjeldgaard@cool.dk
and you will get it
Claus

Some links with pictures:
http://www.fsnordic.net/discussion/i...c,45571.0.html
http://www.sci.fi/~fta/dk-215.htm
http://digilander.libero.it/pescaean...rei/draken.htm
http://www.robert-stetter.de/Airpower2005/page_2.html
perttime is online now Find More Posts by perttime
Old Nov 08, 2005, 05:46 AM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
Perttime, thanks for the links you guys over there build some very impressive aircraft. I sent E-mail to Claus to see if he is still sharing plans. Mine will be a pusher, but I am very interest in your building techniques. I have seen the red and white Draaken in Austrian colors at an "Air Tatoo" event. I was looking at that paint scheme, or possibly the MGD paint scheme, which was from a beer commercial here. The plane was black and gold like the race car of Bobby Rahal which the same company sponsored.

Paul, I am going to try Beanies advice and draw it in half then mirror it to make sure I get it straight. Might take a while, it's hard to sit at the computer when I could be building (and probably messing up alot of Depron)
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:51 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
I am finally back to working on the Draken after admitting defeat at my attempt at the Osprey after decimating several test beds when try to rotate the engines forward, I have given up for now. So on with the Draken. It has a 28" wingspan and is about 40" long, it will have 2 servos for elevons and one for rudder control. I am not sure what motor I will use but it will be 10mm stick mounted. This is my attempt at a GGRN (Phillipe) style of build. It has 6mm vertical and horizontal keels if you will with alot of bulkheads, to which I am attaching the 3mm depron skin. I have used Phillipe's "high tech" approach to bending foam, although I did substitute a piece of 7/8" od thickwall PVC pipe. It works very well, just place the piece of foam against your belly and start rolling the foam with the pipe. It works very fast but you do need to roll a little bit more because it will straighten just a little. I epoxied a .21 CF tube in the horizonal keel for the wing spar, and 2 smaller pieces to strengthen the joint between the pieces of 6mm foam that made up the horizontal keel. I wish I could get bigger pieces of depron but the shipping cost would be outrageous. This style of construction is very quick after the pieces are cut out, though it does take some attention when trimming the curved panels. It is very light and suprisingly strong way to build. The best part is how little sanding is required. Here are some pics of the build so far, will have more when the bottom is sheeted .
Last edited by John Bright; Jan 22, 2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:55 PM
Shogun 67
Springfield, IL
Joined Dec 2004
153 Posts
Here are a few more Pics. I will paint this one with the Austrian " Millineum" paint scheme (Red and White) because it is so high visibility. I need to find out what the word is that is painted on the top though.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 08:57 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
lOOKS GOOD.AC'
cdebaca is offline Find More Posts by cdebaca
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,730 Posts
wow john! that is looking great! i'm definitely signing on. don't worry, the time you invest in turbocad will reward you 10-fold... and it becomes addicitive too. its fun to design the whole plane in your mind, and then print it out and try and build it and see how far off or how right on you are. you'll pick up little tricks along the way. can't wait to see the plans! have any idea of the wing area? (you can calculate it easily in turbocad).
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:27 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,338 Posts
sorry double post
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:28 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bright
Here are a few more Pics. I will paint this one with the Austrian " Millineum" paint scheme (Red and White) because it is so high visibility. I need to find out what the word is that is painted on the top though.
ostarichi 996 ( this was for the 1000 year birthdayparty in 1996 of austria)

Greetings from austria

Rudi

P.S. Hope you can provide us with a plan for that baby
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Last edited by Rudi; Jan 23, 2006 at 12:47 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:31 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,190 Posts
Great job John. You're making it look easy, just like Philippe!

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans