Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old May 09, 2006, 11:17 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,655 Posts
Still flying Uber Powered...

I fly my little Corsair with a Park 300, 7.5x5 prop and 3s 800mah lipos. AUW is 6.5oz... and it has FAST unlimited vertical. This little plane is hilariously fun.

I went Ailerons and Elevator on mine.

I also fly it with a 2s 500mah pack AUW drops to 5.4oz and still plenty of power for nice big loops and inverted flight.

These little planes are terrific little park flyers. I took mine to a club fly... and four other guys are jumping on the bandwagon immediately!

The little Park 300 is a perfect BL upgrade for these little planes.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2006, 10:29 PM
Uh Oh
United States, CT, Colebrook
Joined Apr 2005
305 Posts
Gents, I have an Astro Firefly coreless motor w/4:1 gearbox that I would like to put into my next Cox warbird, the P-51. I see in an earlier post that someone said that it fits best in the Corsair. Should I try to replicate the angle / slight R offset of the stock brushed motor when I install? Should I reserve the motor for a Corsair and go stock with the P-51? I love these little warbirds... just retired my Sptifire after a ton of flights and crashes... on the learning curve. The servos are twitching (why does that happen??) and the motor started shutting off whenever it felt like it (that lead to the last crash). I figure I've pretty much shocked the heck out of everything inside her. Thanks again, Harry
Halifax1 is online now Find More Posts by Halifax1
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2006, 10:51 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,826 Posts
Darren, Where do you fly? I often fly in Orem. What other planes do you have?
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old May 10, 2006, 11:39 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,655 Posts
DUDE! You need to come fly with our very informal club! The glue that holds us together is flying EPP wings in combat, but everyone flies other stuff too. I usually have an EDF Kyosho F-16, Mini Edge 540, Wattage Pitts Bipe to go along with the Corsair.

Here's a link to our "Meeting" thread here on E-zone....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...34#post5457826

and our Website with maps to flying locations we reference:

www.utahflyers.org
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old May 11, 2006, 08:54 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
952 Posts
help with paint!

Ok - I am trying to re-paint my P-47 in a silver finish.

I have searched the site pretty well and found alot of suggestions on foam safe paint.

I have tested 4 paints on scrap foam - and they all attack it.
I have tried:

Krylon Fusion
Krylon Short Cuts
Tamiya Enamel
Tamiya for Polycarbonate

I can't afford to go the airbrush route right now - so I need to do this from a can. Is there anything I can trust that will not attack the foam - even from 12" away, with very thin coats?!

Please Help!!
craab is offline Find More Posts by craab
Old May 11, 2006, 09:19 AM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
Testors enamels work well for me on all types of foam. The silver in the spray can comes off as a dull aluminum. Just make sure you rub the surface with a soft cloth after each coat dries--that removes all the loose metallic flakes and produces a much better finish.
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old May 11, 2006, 09:22 AM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
I have had good luck with Krylon H20 spray cans. Although I haven't painted a Cox warbird I have used it with success on both GWS and Multiplex planes.
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Old May 11, 2006, 09:42 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
952 Posts
Ok - I am going to try the Testor's enamel.
Has anyone tries the "Model Master" line?
Should I just try the straight Testor's?
Old May 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
i'll second the H2O. i painted my slow stick wing with yellow it and it covered over the red completely. two light coats was all that was needed. be aware that it takes a little time to dry.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Old May 11, 2006, 08:01 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craab
Ok - I am going to try the Testor's enamel.
Has anyone tries the "Model Master" line?
Should I just try the straight Testor's?
The Testor's and Model Master paints are both Enamel unless otherwise stated on the can/jar (the clear coats are not). I have used both brands in spray cans on EPS and is foam safe. Just make sure to use light coats instead of one heavy coat.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old May 12, 2006, 09:09 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
952 Posts
I dunno...

I sprayed VERY light coats on my P-47 - which I had wet sanded pretty well.

The paint melted the fuse - but covered nicely on the wings. I guess I just can't get this done with a can.

I am on a roll! I've ruined 2 Cox Micro Warbirds in one week!
Good thing they're cheap!

I already have a replacement Corsair together - for this weekend.
Once you have assembled one of these, new ones go together in about an hour. Too easy!
Picked up a Spit too. Will try a 180 motor in that - the one from the Blade CP micro heli. A buddy of mine has gotten great performance out of that cheap can motor.

I'll post a report on Monday.
Old May 12, 2006, 01:02 PM
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Sep 2003
56 Posts
Hi again.
I see that some of you are experimenting with painting your models in different squandon markings. While Krylon is a great paint for many applications, the carrying agent is not good for foam. The example sighted with regard to the P-47 fuse melting and the wing did not is because the wing has a thermo formed laminate over it, reducing the melting tendency...a little.
If you are going to paint with anything, I would suggest that you use acrylics, which Testor's a bunch of, but it does require an air brush. Failing that and you want to use can colors (Model Master type) then apply a clear coat of Testors #1961 Gloss Coat Lacquer first (yeah, using a lacquer sounds all wrong - but it works), making sure you cover everything, allow to dry thoroughly, then add colors. We have used the #1961 with great success when changing sample colors or sealing decals...again, light coats, not heavy - but water based is always our first choice. Another issue with using the lacquer coating base coat is that you pick up unwanted weight rather quickly.
Hope this helps out,
Mike Fritz
Cox Hobbies
be69ar is offline Find More Posts by be69ar
Old May 12, 2006, 01:55 PM
Sic Semper Tyrannis
USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Oct 2003
952 Posts
Mike - I agree completely ! LOL

I just have put off the airbrush thing, but will eventually bite the bullet and get one. The Thunderbolt is the only one I want to change - since it is a P-47N, and looks funny to my eye in the Gabreski paint scheme.
But that is my own OCD to deal with~!

These little guys are great! I am having a blast with them (well, wrecking them - so far) and will definitely be picking up the Axis planes when they come out.

By the way, I must say - the Spit is REALLY pretty with the included decals.
I can't wait to see what the Blade CP 180 motor will do in it.

You guys are providing a great product for my hobby buck.
Old May 12, 2006, 03:13 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Jun 2003
246 Posts
hey mike,

still on track for releasing the ME109 and FW190 in June? I need more planes!

mike
MLem is offline Find More Posts by MLem
Old May 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
My Corsiar maiden was this morning... Everything is stock, with the exception of an aileron system and I disabled the rudder.

The maiden went well, until 7 minutes into the flight... The ESC low voltage cutoff cut power to the motor and would not re-arm... I ditched in tall grass in the middle of a field, and could not find the airplane! Then, I thought of moving the servos and LISTENING -- it worked like a charm!

The airplane suffered NO damage (tough little airplane!) -- the "crunch" I heard must have been the large weed it landed in.

Stats:
20.25" wingspan
16.25" length
5.08 ounces (all up weight)
Stock motor
Stock battery
Stock prop
GWS ICS100/F ESC
Fixed rudder, and added ailerons.
Model balanced perfectly at CG point without adding any weight.
Power system provides 3.10 ounces of static thrust, and 5.61 watts per ounce (28.5 watts).
Top speed is 23.0 miles per hour.
Wing loading is 5.25 ounces per square foot.

At full throttle:
4.14 amps, peak
28.5 watts, peak
6.87 volts, minimum
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Last edited by Red 61; May 12, 2006 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added stats -- somehow I forgot that earlier...
Closed Thread