HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 09, 2005, 11:47 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
So are folks using 2s lipos with these or are you all sticking to the NiMHs?
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2005, 01:42 AM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I know that Stringfly is using a 250mah 2S lipo. It is clearly shown in his P40 setup.

As for myself I had planned on using Lipos as well. I just realised that I may have to put off for a while longer.I can get a plane or I can get a batterypack. Yep. Can't afford to do both right now. What brought me to this conclusion is the fact that my smallest pack is a 450mah pack. I am afraid that would be way to heavy. It doubtfully would fit inside. This particular problem is not so bad. I could make a slot and let it go part in part out of the bottom of the fuse. Just a little tacky but certainly acceptable.
The weight is a bigger issue.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Nov 10, 2005, 02:03 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,518 Posts
stone the flaming crows can anyone tell me what size is the boxed kit is and how much it weighs?? please.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Last edited by olmod; Nov 10, 2005 at 03:02 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:53 AM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
stone the flaming crows can anyone tell me what size is the boxed kit is and how much it weighs?? please.
The P47 box is 22 inches X 9 X 4 and weighs 18 oz.

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:46 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willin
I know that Stringfly is using a 250mah 2S lipo. It is clearly shown in his P40 setup.

As for myself I had planned on using Lipos as well. I just realised that I may have to put off for a while longer.I can get a plane or I can get a batterypack. Yep. Can't afford to do both right now. What brought me to this conclusion is the fact that my smallest pack is a 450mah pack. I am afraid that would be way to heavy. It doubtfully would fit inside. This particular problem is not so bad. I could make a slot and let it go part in part out of the bottom of the fuse. Just a little tacky but certainly acceptable.
The weight is a bigger issue.

Robert
Actually 450 mAh is better choice. The motor and stock prop would draw 3~4 Amp at full throttle and the 250mAh is rated for only 1.5 Amp. Thus you would get degraded performance and a puffed battery pack pretty soon. On 450mAh it should be able to fly the plane real well without hurting the battery, however the motor life may be reduced due to over voltage. You need limit your throttle use and keep the flight short. The 450 mAh should fit alright as the stock battery recommended is an even bigger and heavier 6 cell
NiMH.
shschon is online now Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:58 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Kokam 340's work and fit perfectly!

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Nov 11, 2005, 12:20 AM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
shschon, That is good news indeed though I think I would feel better with the 340 mah mentioned by Ralph. Does anyone know where I could find a scorching good deal on the Kokam 340? You would not believe how tight my budget is! Well, maybe you would.
Still I bet there is not a great deal of weight difference between my 450 and the 340. On the other hand every quarter oz. on a plane this size can make a difference.

I am going battery hunting. Thanks all.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Nov 11, 2005, 01:39 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willin
shschon, That is good news indeed though I think I would feel better with the 340 mah mentioned by Ralph. Does anyone know where I could find a scorching good deal on the Kokam 340? You would not believe how tight my budget is! Well, maybe you would.
Still I bet there is not a great deal of weight difference between my 450 and the 340. On the other hand every quarter oz. on a plane this size can make a difference.

I am going battery hunting. Thanks all.

Robert
I suggest you try the battery you have first when you get the plane. You may need nose weight to balance your plane so a battery with more weight is not necessarily a bad thing.
shschon is online now Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 11, 2005, 09:18 AM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
I'm going with a 6 cell Nimh. I want a tad extra weight as the winds don't give up around here. As soon as my Spit arrives today I'll measure the battery bay and order one.
Rick
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin
Old Nov 12, 2005, 09:23 AM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
My Spit arrived yesterday. The packing job is incredible. Everything totally secure in it's place.

The paint job is just as good as others have raved. It looks like an expertly painted plastic static display model. Now I really want the others.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:42 AM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
I used a TP 2S 730mAh pack in my P-40 since it fit so well. A Kokam 2S 340 was actually too big.

I ordered the P-40, P-47, Spitfire, and Corsair - the P-51 looked a little too goofy to my eye. The Spitfire is by far the best looking, followed by the Corsair. Kit quality is pretty good, although the foam parts are roughed up in some cases.

Biggest problem I had was with the prop and spinner mounting off center and vibrating. After some drill bit surgery it was a lot better.

First flight of the P-40 this morning went well. The stock motor is just fine for cruising around - half throttle for level flight. Frozen hands and boredom set in long before the battery showed signs of giving up.

I will build the next one with ailerons and a hot motor to keep my eyes wide.

Overall these little guys are a lot of fun for $20.

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Nov 12, 2005, 11:26 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
It warms my heart to see Cox come out with a great product line.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Nov 12, 2005, 12:55 PM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Hopefully they sell like crazy so they'll stay around and increase in choices.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:36 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
I think it's kind of an open secret that there will be a Zero and Me-109 soon - as hinted at by a Cox rep in the Indoor forum. Bring 'em on!

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Nov 12, 2005, 03:30 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
Here's a perhaps silly question. Do the planes have prop savers on them? It doesn't appear that there is enough room for the prop to lift away before hitting the cowling, so if there are not, doesn't one break a lot of props on planes like this?
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Closed Thread