SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Nov 09, 2005, 09:32 AM
Registered Boozer
Ralph_D's Avatar
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
For those who have them, are these small and slow enough to fly in a small indoor venue? How small, single basketball court, large conference room, classroom, etc?

What about outdoor and wind? Calm only?

How hard are they to fly? Intermediate, novice, rank beginner, etc?

Sorry for all the questions. Mostly fly bigger stuff and these look like great Xmas presents for a couple of folks I know.

thanks
charlie
Here are some answers for you...

If you wanted to fly them indoors it would have to be a substantial indoor area... "single basketball court, large conference room, classroom" would be way too small.

I don't think they'll do too well in wind, calm is preferred. I haven't tried flying it in the wind but being so light I'm sure it'll be a handful.

As far as how hard they are to fly, I'd say if you are an intermediate flyer you'll be fine.

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2005, 01:04 PM
Registered User
shschon's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_D
Here are some answers for you...

If you wanted to fly them indoors it would have to be a substantial indoor area... "single basketball court, large conference room, classroom" would be way too small.

I don't think they'll do too well in wind, calm is preferred. I haven't tried flying it in the wind but being so light I'm sure it'll be a handful.

As far as how hard they are to fly, I'd say if you are an intermediate flyer you'll be fine.

-Ralph-
I have converted and flown a hobbico plane before. These little guys actually handle wind surprisingly well due to their high wing loading, especially if you upgrade to bigger motor. However also due to high wing loading they are not suitable for most indoor places unless it is huge or you build it really light (2~3oz) using expensive light compoenents.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 09, 2005, 01:06 PM
Registered User
shschon's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by be69ar
Hi again...I know I said I wasn't going to respond to this foum very often, but I keep reading about things that I think I should tell you about...this time its about the supplied motor.

Noted some questions about the life span of the motor. When we began this project (over a year ago), the objective was to offer an inexpensive, 3 channel equipped model. The major question was; do we offer a reasonably good brushed can type motor vs. not offering anything in the kit? We tested a varieity of motors, usually using a regulated power supply. Testing was done with the prop attached and a constant 7.2 volt power applied. As one or two of you have noted, on average, the selected motor drew about 2.4 amps (test data spec'd 2.37 amps) at our altitude. And for you tech types, the motor turned on average 14,300 - 14,500 rpm at our 5,800'.

In terms of motor evaluation, I can tell you that days, not hours, were spent testing a large sampling of various motors because we did not want the average consumer to purchase this kit, assemble the model and have the motor crap out after 3 flights. That is simply not what Cox stands for. However, we also could not afford to place an "upgraded" motor, meaning brushless or coreless, into these models and expect to have anyone pay the price. We did consider supplying the kit without motor, but somehow that seemed equally wrong to us. Besides there are just too many options now (there weren't when we began) for small brushless motors. So the decision was made to supply the existing motor, of which we have one P-51 (still in white foam - pre decorated version) that has logged over 50 flights. Now I'm not going to tell you that it has the same zip it did 40 flights ago, but it will still fly.

I hope this information is useful to any of you. Trying to cover all the bases for everyone is the single greates task any manufacturer can attempt. With the Cox Micro Warbird series we have tried to target the product to meet the needs of the "average" RC enthusiest.

...and for a teaser, I read where someone was asking about Axis type models...Zeros, Me 109...others...patience grasshopper.
Thanks again for your kind response to this product line,
Mike Fritz
Cox Hobbies
Thanks for detailed answer. For the price I am not complaining.

Can you confirm that the motor is indeed the Mabuchi FS-130 SH or equivalent? If so we at least know what replacement motor to buy before you start selling replacement parts. Also it looks like those hop up motors for mini racing cars are a good candidate for motor upgrade?
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 09, 2005, 02:23 PM
Registered Boozer
Ralph_D's Avatar
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
It's going to be tricky replacing these motors. They are glued in place then sealed inside and there aren't any real openings. You'd have to cut the plane apart then cut out the motor.

I'm thinking, when a motor burns out it's time to spend another $20 to get a whole new plane. Or just a replacement fuse and tail feathers if it's cost effective.

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Nov 09, 2005, 05:12 PM
igo
Registered User
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
it is very tough to find replacements on the mabuchi fk-130sh. when i first flew the cox ducted fan rtf planes, i ran into a issue with replacing the motors. it is possible but you have to buy in bulk through a surplus distributor. plus it's not cheap. the exact replacement you want for this motors is the FK-130SH-16180, it has an operating range of 4-12 volts, no load speed of 18k rpm @.13amps, 2.36 mN*m torque, 3.68 watts.

anything else other than the FK-130SH-16180 won't give you the performance you need. feel free to verify this with the mabuchi website.

i've since have no need for this relatively expensive and hard to find brush motor.

i do believe cox hit a home run in making these planes though!!!! i would like to see more.
igo is offline Find More Posts by igo
Old Nov 09, 2005, 05:38 PM
Good Better Best quest.
olmod's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,502 Posts
mmmm

After enquiring with COX about a unit price to send to Australia i got this answer,
A 5 lb package would cost $32.75 via Air Parcel Post We cannot ship sizes boxes over 42 inches in length and Maximum length and girth of 79 inches. This means many products must ship via UPS and the cost of a 5lb package to your country via UPS is $98 US
It makes it a bit on the hard side as nowhere do they tell me what size or weight per unit whats so hard about giving a clear sensible answer darned gobbledegook)
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 09, 2005, 05:56 PM
Registered Boozer
Ralph_D's Avatar
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
After enquiring with COX about a unit price to send to Australia i got this answer,
A 5 lb package would cost $32.75 via Air Parcel Post We cannot ship sizes boxes over 42 inches in length and Maximum length and girth of 79 inches. This means many products must ship via UPS and the cost of a 5lb package to your country via UPS is $98 US
It makes it a bit on the hard side as nowhere do they tell me what size or weight per unit whats so hard about giving a clear sensible answer darned gobbledegook)
Can you see if a local hobby store might stock them? Seems like they could sell a lot of these.

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Nov 09, 2005, 06:32 PM
Registered User
shschon's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igo
it is very tough to find replacements on the mabuchi fk-130sh. when i first flew the cox ducted fan rtf planes, i ran into a issue with replacing the motors. it is possible but you have to buy in bulk through a surplus distributor. plus it's not cheap. the exact replacement you want for this motors is the FK-130SH-16180, it has an operating range of 4-12 volts, no load speed of 18k rpm @.13amps, 2.36 mN*m torque, 3.68 watts.

anything else other than the FK-130SH-16180 won't give you the performance you need. feel free to verify this with the mabuchi website.

i've since have no need for this relatively expensive and hard to find brush motor.

i do believe cox hit a home run in making these planes though!!!! i would like to see more.
Do you have some "surplus" FK-130SH-16180 motors left?
We may be able to clear those out for you.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 09, 2005, 07:01 PM
igo
Registered User
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
whoops, my post was not meant to hint that i may or may not have any of these motors. when i wrote that i have no need for this motor, i meant to say that i've found an alternative- brushless. all my fk-130sh are either burned out or used. you do not want a used fk-130sh. my last working set of cox fans were on a foamy airliner plane you get from k-mart. the brush motors finally crapped out after about 2 dozen flights. i was using a 2 cell lipo powering both motors. the model is now powered by twin brushless motors stuffed in the cox fan units. power is thru a tp 2 cell 1320mah lipo and single cc10.
igo is offline Find More Posts by igo
Old Nov 09, 2005, 08:04 PM
Good Better Best quest.
olmod's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_D
Can you see if a local hobby store might stock them? Seems like they could sell a lot of these.

-Ralph-
In their defense they did give me a lead to a fellow club member who may buy some in ,but COX in this country unfortunatly has been sadly neglected for quite a few years ,i used to like a lot of the props that they no longer seem to cater for ,all i really needed to know was how many kits would go to make up the 5lb limit on postal charge and be able to pay by paypal.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 09, 2005, 08:14 PM
Registered User
shschon's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
In their defense they did give me a lead to a fellow club member who may buy some in ,but COX in this country unfortunatly has been sadly neglected for quite a few years ,i used to like a lot of the props that they no longer seem to cater for ,all i really needed to know was how many kits would go to make up the 5lb limit on postal charge and be able to pay by paypal.
You want to buy enough cox planes that will weigh 5 lb? I think you will hit the box size limit first as these little guys are very light for their sizes.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 09, 2005, 09:01 PM
Registered User
Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
285 Posts
Motor spec

The motor that you are referring to that was included in past Cox fan units, and in various other applciations as well, is the Mabuchi FK-130SH-3047.

The motor used in the Micro Warbirds is not that wind. It is a wind that is a bit more current friendly on a 6-cell application.

For reference, the FK-130SH-3047 is happiest in applcations where the current draw is at ~3.5A and below. As you can see at the webpage referenced, for the 130 size Cox fan unit, that correlates to an applied voltage of ~6V (for the fan application). These motors are happiest on a 6-cell application or below. Lifetime on a 7-cell application is fairly short. A 2-cell LiPo corresponds closer to a 7-cell voltage.

http://hometown.aol.com/swinans/FanData.html

Regards,

Scott
winans is offline Find More Posts by winans
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:42 PM
Registered User
shschon's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winans
The motor that you are referring to that was included in past Cox fan units, and in various other applciations as well, is the Mabuchi FK-130SH-3047.

The motor used in the Micro Warbirds is not that wind. It is a wind that is a bit more current friendly on a 6-cell application.

For reference, the FK-130SH-3047 is happiest in applcations where the current draw is at ~3.5A and below. As you can see at the webpage referenced, for the 130 size Cox fan unit, that correlates to an applied voltage of ~6V (for the fan application). These motors are happiest on a 6-cell application or below. Lifetime on a 7-cell application is fairly short. A 2-cell LiPo corresponds closer to a 7-cell voltage.

http://hometown.aol.com/swinans/FanData.html

Regards,

Scott
I went to Mabuchi website and did a search. I can find the FK-130SH-16180 igo mentioned but I cannot find the FK-130SH-3047 you mention here. I find a picture of the new cox micro war bird showing the motor
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=634801
The label appears to have "FK130PH-2475" written on it.

I cannot find the "FK130PH-2475" on Mabuchi website, either. Are these special order item only sold to Cox?

I find that you can buy FK-130SH-09450 (CAT#DCM-241) and FF-130SH-? (CAT#DCM-228) on allelectronics. It appears that the popular mini cars use FA-130RA-? as stock motor. It is really confusing. Does anyone know what these letters and numbers mean?
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:50 PM
Registered User
Souderton Pa.
Joined Dec 2004
695 Posts
Ok I couldn't stand it any longer. I orgered the Corsair and p40 a few minutes ago. Now that I ordered them what am I in for? LOL.

Those of you that have flown these things. What am I gonna need in the way of flight packs? Will Hitec 55's work? Do they need a esc or are they just on or off? Also I am assuming they are e/r/t control right? I am reasonably new about 3 or 4 months flyin. I fly the STC and have a ball with it. I am very comfortable with it. Will I be able to fly these planes without to much trouble?

Thanks guys I've been waiting for these micros to be available for a long time now. Can't wait.

thumbs
thumbs1 is offline Find More Posts by thumbs1
Old Nov 09, 2005, 11:15 PM
Registered User
Mindcrime's Avatar
Phoenix Az
Joined Dec 2004
67 Posts
Hey guys...if anybody wants a P47 let me know, somehow I ended up ordering 2) P47s and no P51
Mindcrime is offline Find More Posts by Mindcrime
Last edited by Mindcrime; Nov 09, 2005 at 11:44 PM.
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mass Cox Micro Warbird sortie at SMALL steps 2006 Thomas B Parkflyers 18 Oct 11, 2006 08:08 AM
Discussion cox micro warbird, build advise and questions troyboy162 Electric Warbirds 12 Feb 13, 2006 01:38 AM
Idea Cox micro warbird assembly ham2405 Parkflyers 22 Jan 19, 2006 11:29 PM
Discussion J250 in a Cox Micro Warbird? glennhl Foamies (Kits) 5 Jan 15, 2006 10:22 PM
Sold E-Tec 2 cell 700 mAh HP Lithium Polymer LiPo Battery perfect for Cox Micro Warbird shschon Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Jan 13, 2006 12:23 AM