HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 08, 2005, 10:45 AM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Thanks for checking in Mike. These little planes are a bunch of fun!

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2005, 02:11 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by be69ar
Hi...my name is Mike Fritz. I'm the product manager for the Cox Hobbies product line and the Micro Warbird series has been one of my projects. I am very please to see that now that the models are available that they are being enjoyed and you all are looking for ways to modify them, which is great. I am going to state up front that I am only going to occasionally monitor the theads about these fun little airplanes. I simply don't have the time (new things being worked on) to keep up on the improvements to the series. However, I did want to tell you that I am very interested in learning about what new performance changes you guys make. I also wanted to telly you about a few things we have done.
- The motor is rated for 7.2 volts. It is not the free flight motor.
- We have tried ailerons, first on the Mustang. However, to keep the weight down we used small diameter wire (torque rod style), which flexed to much from the center mounted servo. Also, we tried (perhaps incorrectly) to use an aileron size slightly larger than the scale aileron outline. This proved to be ineffective and that is why there is no reference to making the aileron mod. Perhaps a larger control surface, maybe a strip aileron type would work better. Just didn't have enough time to complete that change.
- We have only tested the Astro Flight 799/C Firefly Coreless Motor with 4.1 Planetary gear box and supplied propeller. This was installed in the Corsair and P-47 because it required no rework to the spinners. Both models had 2 cell, 280 - 340 lipos and performance was...well...they were really quick and the bigger prop looked, well...way cool. We fly at 5,800' MSL, so if we get a model to perform well up here, we assume that it only improves at the lower altitudes.
Last summer I attended the 2005 Electric National Championships at Muncie. I took a stock Corsair and flew it in the evenings. At the 900' MSL at Muncie the model came alive...loops from level were easy to do, grass clipping fly bys with good pull outs were fun...inverted flight is still not possible, but the model was a hoot to fly. I passed the transmitter to a few of the contestests there and they all agreed it was fun to fly and had a good visual appearance.
Anyway, thanks for a good reception of the product. I will keep and eye out for the improvements that are going to be the by products of everyones continued interest.
Regards,
Mike Fritz
Cox Hobies
Thanks for visiting here and provides lots of insider info.

A few comments:

(1) You should make spare parts available like your other cox planes.
(2) Keep on putting out new models!
(3) From what I have read here about aileron mod for these little planes, you need to first reinforce the wings in order to have aileron work. It is also advisable that you make the aileron as big as possible, like the GWS P-51 which has aileron over the entire width of the wing. Lastly it might be a good idea to couple the aileron with rudder. This is one way to use aileron while still stay in 3 ch and it will surely work. DJ aerotech has a series of similarly sized profile planes and they all have aileron coupled with rudder.

PS: Where can I buy the 7.2V 130 motor?
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 08, 2005, 02:43 PM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Spare parts...now that is a good question. Where can we buy spares?

I'd love to have a spare wing to attempt ailerons and I know I'll need more props and spinners.

-Ralph-
Old Nov 08, 2005, 03:40 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
663 Posts
I have determined that the Etec 250 is not a good choice for this motor.
It is rated at 6C (1.5 amps) and the voltage pulls down too far on the
2.5-3 amp drain. Yesterday I ordered some 350 12C packs.
This AM I tried a 480 10C pack, and the power is definitely improved.
The Hobbico P-51 had full length strip ailerons, no rudder coupling, and
flies real well, will roll and fly inverted. Removed most of the dihedral, though.
Will still try ailerons on the P-40 when I get time to build it. Still waiting form
the Castle Berg receivers I ordered a week ago.
I could not bring myself to bury a Lipo battery inside, so cut a hole in the
bottom of the nose to slip in the battery. The 250 fits well, but the 480
protruded a bit. The 350 should fit without a problem.
So far, the Spitfire flies the best, the Corsair not so well, but the new battery
should fix the apparent tail-heavy condition as well as provide more power.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Nov 08, 2005, 04:26 PM
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Sep 2003
56 Posts
Cox Micro Warbird parts

Hi again...my apologies for not advising you about the parts and their avilability. Replacement parts were always a part of the program, but unfortunately did not receive the same amount of attention as the models did. Excuses aside, they are at this moment being produced with planned delivery in mid to late December.
The parts are going to be packaged in item specific groups, such as: painted fuse halves with wing snap pockets, complete painted and assembled wing with protective leading edge tape for attachment and wing snaps glued in place, painted canopies, propellers with spinners attached (2 per set), painted tail feathers(rudder/elevator) with elevator joiner wire, and decals. Those items that are generic to each airplane, like motor, On/Off switch/charge plate, charge adapter, micro control horns and instructions will be done as separates. I am not going to supply the small diameter control wires. They are just too difficult to deal with and you guys are more than able to form your own.
My apologies for not having parts at the same time as the kits were delivered. Reasons are numerous, but the fault ultimately lies with me. Again, parts should be available by mid to late December and the prices are reasonable. Check the web site or your local retailer for part numbers and prices.
Thanks and enjoy,
Mike Fritz
Cox Hobbies
be69ar is offline Find More Posts by be69ar
Old Nov 08, 2005, 04:51 PM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
AWESOME! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

-Ralph-
Old Nov 08, 2005, 11:38 PM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Cox sent a reply to my email for German and Japanese fighters. Says my request is being forwarded to the design team. This is getting funner eery day.
Rick
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin
Old Nov 09, 2005, 02:51 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
About the 130 motor.

Is the motor supplied the Mabuchi FK 130 SH?
I suspect it is because it is the same one found in the Cox ducted fan jet.

It is quite powerful on 2 cell LiPo in the Cox ducted fan jet. However it also burns out really fast on 2 cell LiPo. The Cox ducted fan jets all use 6 cell batteries which gives only OK performance. They did not put 7 cells which would give good performance but very short life. I have burned a couple Cox ducted fans on 2 cell LiPo with only a few flights.

If anyone of you have passed 50 sorties with your new cox micro warbirds on 2 cell LiPo please post a report about whether you see performance degrade in the motor.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 09, 2005, 03:23 AM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
While the stock motor is I am sure quite adequate for average performance I was wondering about the lifespan as well.Many of these inexpensive brushed motors do fairly well but exhibit short lives. I was wondering about a brushless alternative.

I am not after explosive performance or anything rocket like at all merely prolonged life in the powerplant. Something that will far outlast the airframe.
I see where Cox R and D has used the Firefly with its planetary gear reduction and built in ESC. I have priced these and have found them to be quite high.

I was thinking of the Fieago 12 mm GWS substitute used in Direct drive. That way there will be no weight penalty for the gearbox.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Nov 09, 2005, 04:19 AM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
There are some micro sized outrunners that might work as well.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Nov 09, 2005, 09:00 AM
FLY NAVY!
Clinton, TN
Joined Oct 2003
688 Posts
Anyone know which retailers or online shops carry these (or plan to)?

Duke
Seawolf 24 is offline Find More Posts by Seawolf 24
Old Nov 09, 2005, 09:30 AM
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Sep 2003
56 Posts
Cox Micro Warbirds

Hi again...I know I said I wasn't going to respond to this foum very often, but I keep reading about things that I think I should tell you about...this time its about the supplied motor.

Noted some questions about the life span of the motor. When we began this project (over a year ago), the objective was to offer an inexpensive, 3 channel equipped model. The major question was; do we offer a reasonably good brushed can type motor vs. not offering anything in the kit? We tested a varieity of motors, usually using a regulated power supply. Testing was done with the prop attached and a constant 7.2 volt power applied. As one or two of you have noted, on average, the selected motor drew about 2.4 amps (test data spec'd 2.37 amps) at our altitude. And for you tech types, the motor turned on average 14,300 - 14,500 rpm at our 5,800'.

In terms of motor evaluation, I can tell you that days, not hours, were spent testing a large sampling of various motors because we did not want the average consumer to purchase this kit, assemble the model and have the motor crap out after 3 flights. That is simply not what Cox stands for. However, we also could not afford to place an "upgraded" motor, meaning brushless or coreless, into these models and expect to have anyone pay the price. We did consider supplying the kit without motor, but somehow that seemed equally wrong to us. Besides there are just too many options now (there weren't when we began) for small brushless motors. So the decision was made to supply the existing motor, of which we have one P-51 (still in white foam - pre decorated version) that has logged over 50 flights. Now I'm not going to tell you that it has the same zip it did 40 flights ago, but it will still fly.

I hope this information is useful to any of you. Trying to cover all the bases for everyone is the single greates task any manufacturer can attempt. With the Cox Micro Warbird series we have tried to target the product to meet the needs of the "average" RC enthusiest.

...and for a teaser, I read where someone was asking about Axis type models...Zeros, Me 109...others...patience grasshopper.
Thanks again for your kind response to this product line,
Mike Fritz
Cox Hobbies
be69ar is offline Find More Posts by be69ar
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:06 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,825 Posts
For those who have them, are these small and slow enough to fly in a small indoor venue? How small, single basketball court, large conference room, classroom, etc?

What about outdoor and wind? Calm only?

How hard are they to fly? Intermediate, novice, rank beginner, etc?

Sorry for all the questions. Mostly fly bigger stuff and these look like great Xmas presents for a couple of folks I know.

thanks
charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:20 AM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Thank you Mike. Hope we don't drive you crazy. I think we all agree you have a winner going. Personally I feel 50 flights on a 20 buck motor/plane is a good deal.
I figure 40 cents a flight. Costs a lot more to buy a newspaper. After 50 a foam plane will be pretty beat up anyway.

I think it's a bargain.
Rick
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:22 AM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Heck it costs more to buy a candy bar lol. Waiting anxiously for my Spit to arrive. Let the street fights begin!!
Closed Thread