Closed Thread
Old Nov 07, 2005, 12:47 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Discussion
Cox Micro Warbird sortie this morning

A friend of mine and I had a blast flying these guys this morning. Mine is the P40, he owns the other 3. These little guys are really fun to fly and they go together pretty fast. Mine has the stock motor, a pixie esc, cirrus 4 channel rx, two cirrus cs101 4g servos and I run a 2 cell kokam 340 lipo. Plenty of power and with full throws I was able to roll it...no problem

Only modifications that were made were the use of Dubro Micro E/Z Links and I cut a hole in the bottom of the nose to slide the battery in and out...I didn't like the idea of sealing the battery inside the plane.

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Last edited by Ralph_D; Jan 18, 2006 at 11:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2005, 01:04 PM
Joined Mar 2002
631 Posts
Ralph, how do they fly on rudder? is the stock motor powerful enough?

thanks,
Jeff
burgan is offline Find More Posts by burgan
Old Nov 07, 2005, 01:12 PM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgan
Ralph, how do they fly on rudder? is the stock motor powerful enough?

thanks,
Jeff
Although having alierons would be nice, with as much dihedral as the wing has they fly pretty well with just rudder. Turns are a bit sloppy but it doesn't fall out of them too bad and you could always mix a little elevator with the rudder.

The stock motor is fine, plenty of power with the battery I'm using. I fly a lot of brushless planes...in fact, most of them. I don't really see the need to put a brushless motor on these guys. We'll see though, that could change if this stock motor burns out. Since the plane is built in half then glued together the motor is buried and will be very difficult to swap. If I experience motor issues I may rethink going brushless.

-Ralph-
Old Nov 07, 2005, 01:16 PM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
My P40....
Old Nov 07, 2005, 01:21 PM
Joined Mar 2002
631 Posts
i felt that the hobbico p40 that i flew with ailerons did better than its rudder predecessor . The corsair and t-bolt might be trickier to get ailerons on.

i still have trouble with these little guys. my aileron p40 got stuck in a tree and it took the tornado like winds to finally knock it down yesterday. i still dont know if its radio/gear/lipo are ok; i suspect the lipo is dead as it was down to 2 volts. if they are i know for sure what will be under my Christmas tree.

thanks for the flight report and picture.
Jeff
Old Nov 07, 2005, 01:30 PM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
My friend who owns the other 3 planes flys a hobbico mustang with ailerons and a brushless motor. That thing scoots!!! He's had a lot of good flying on it, seems very stable. He told me this is a much easier build than the hobbico conversion process.

He's thinking about adding ailerons to his Cox P40 which is still in the box. The ailerons are already marked in the wing, but there are a couple logistical issues that would make mounting the servo and rods very difficult without a lot of modding and cutting.

I'm happy with it's performance on just rudder and would rather not hack it up...at this point.

-Ralph-
Old Nov 07, 2005, 01:30 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
These might be small enough to use actuators on the wings for ailerons or there might be some really small servos about. The RX would have to be changed too if you wanted to maintain rudder. But I might just try using ailerons and fixing the rudder.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Nov 07, 2005, 02:13 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
Guys,

Any idea as to what the stock motor is?

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Nov 07, 2005, 02:42 PM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Cox calls it a speed 130 motor. It's thicker and shorter than a gws 180 but thinner than a 280 or Johnson 250 motor.

-Ralph-
Old Nov 07, 2005, 03:07 PM
Are you one of these
loveland colorado
Joined Nov 2003
399 Posts
My P47 should be here this afternoon, I was thinking of using the Feigao 1208430S 12x22mm brushless from balsa products but if it seems to have enough poop with the stock motor I may hold off but it sounds like once you build it its done, no upgrading.
keep the info coming I will be checking back and hopfully posting as well.
rcboatnut is offline Find More Posts by rcboatnut
Old Nov 07, 2005, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_D
Cox calls it a speed 130 motor. It's thicker and shorter than a gws 180 but thinner than a 280 or Johnson 250 motor.

-Ralph-
Is this the same motor that is in the hobbico free-flight counterpart?
The free-flight version is powered by 2 cell NiCd stock. If you put 2 cell LiPo it sure would perform like brushless, but the question is for how long? What is the amp draw with the stock prop?
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Nov 07, 2005, 03:42 PM
Joined Mar 2002
631 Posts
p40 ailerons can be done with the standard approach like on the gws me 109 and i presume their p51. not that much work. the elliptticla wing of the p47 and gull winged corsair are more challenging. sullivan flex tubes might work i suppose.

the cox motor should be a 6 volt motor, whereas the hobbico is a 3 volt. trust me i know aboutthe hobbico: it lasted one flight on my (old and dying) kokam 340.
Old Nov 07, 2005, 05:47 PM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
Is this the same motor that is in the hobbico free-flight counterpart?
The free-flight version is powered by 2 cell NiCd stock. If you put 2 cell LiPo it sure would perform like brushless, but the question is for how long? What is the amp draw with the stock prop?
It is NOT the same motor as the hobbico free-flight model.

With my 2 cell pack (kokam 340) it draws right around 3 amps at max throttle on the bench.

-Ralph-
Old Nov 07, 2005, 05:50 PM
Registered Boozer
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
Quote:
p40 ailerons can be done with the standard approach like on the gws me 109 and i presume their p51. not that much work. the elliptticla wing of the p47 and gull winged corsair are more challenging. sullivan flex tubes might work i suppose.

the cox motor should be a 6 volt motor, whereas the hobbico is a 3 volt. trust me i know aboutthe hobbico: it lasted one flight on my (old and dying) kokam 340.
The bottom of the wing isn't flat, there's a big hunk of foam at the center where the wing "snaps" attach. You'd have to route around the wing snaps making sure not to weaken the area if you were going to use a single servo. You have to take a look at the bottom of the wing to see what I'm talking about.

You could try to mount a really small servo in each side of the wing...perhaps something like the cirrus microjoule servos....although I haven't heard the best thing about the microjoules.

-Ralph-
Old Nov 07, 2005, 06:14 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,364 Posts
Quote:

So does that mean that if I power the hobbico plane with 1 cell LiPo I can get similar performance as the 6V motor on 2 cell LiPo?
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Closed Thread