337 Posts
Rave
Free flight endurace /school project

Hello

My Son is building a ( SLOWPOKE ) balsa model /rubber band motor
to enter in a school contest the goal is to have the longest flight duration
The contest is held inside in the school gym

Anyone ever build the slow poke for a contest like this
Looking for any tips ,suggestions, anything from glue choice etc thinking a larger propeller and reducing it's mass to maximize the limited amount of stored energy in the rubber band motor .

Thank you for any help you can offer
GBX is online now Find More Posts by GBX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2005, 10:23 PM
Nem Jr.
barryton, Michigan. 49305
Joined Jun 2004
436 Posts
SlowPoke

I built the slowpoke years ago from Peck Polymers. It came with fair quality wood,condensor paper covering and a plastic prop. If built right it would climb like a homesick angel and float for about 2 minutes. I don't remember if it came with fai tan rubber or not but this is a wonderful model. Are you looking to use it as a freeflight model? or are you trying to make it radio control?

The best advise I can give you with this model is, build it light. The COG is indicated on the plans and is pretty much set buy the 2 paper tubes that the fore and aft wing post are slid into. You may want to try making another prop for it though and beware of using the condensor paper.keep your finished model in a foam container or something to keep out the humidity in the air as this humidity will cause your wing and tail surfaces to potato chip (curl)

The best time I got with the out of the box setup was 2:37 off of 450 winds of 1/8" 2 stranded loop of faitan rubber. others may have gotten more but I will leave that issue for someone else to answer.

Good Luck! This is a good flying model, but you may have to change a few minor things, such as covering material, prop and rubber.....Really depends on what you want to achieve.

Nem
Nemesis_49788 is offline Find More Posts by Nemesis_49788
Old Nov 06, 2005, 10:30 PM
GBX
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
337 Posts
Free flight model . The contest is all about flight time

Thanks for the info
GBX is online now Find More Posts by GBX
Old Nov 06, 2005, 10:43 PM
Nem Jr.
barryton, Michigan. 49305
Joined Jun 2004
436 Posts
In that case ya might want to try these....
First off you are limited a little with rubber and the amount of winds. The longer your motor can run, the better. try building a balsa prop about 2" longer than the plastic one that came with tha kit.1/32" blades and decrease rubber diameter but make rubber motor out of 2 loops slightly longer that the distance between motor hook and prop shaft.massage your rubber with a little rubber lube or use dish soap stretching it a little. once done dry it with a soft cloth as best as you can. Apply the condensor paper with either a glue stick or spray the wing frame with 3M contact cement and attatch covering. Use a winder and wind rubber motor from the rear of the plane.Hold prop and attach rubber to rear hook. I know these ideas may all be vague in description but if ya have any questions, this is the place to ask.

Nem
Nemesis_49788 is offline Find More Posts by Nemesis_49788
Old Nov 07, 2005, 01:45 PM
Your ruler, in part...
Albany, NY
Joined Mar 2005
731 Posts
by any chance is this contest called the Wright Stuff, part of Science Olympiad?
Angry_Monk is offline Find More Posts by Angry_Monk
Old Nov 07, 2005, 05:29 PM
Sebastopol, Ca
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Great Free Flight info here

http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
Dave K is online now Find More Posts by Dave K
Old Nov 08, 2005, 06:59 PM
Dinasour Electric
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2004
101 Posts
Several things can be done that will make a difference.
Build multiple planes- the more you build the same plane the better you get pick the one with the least weight and straightest glide.
Use contest rubber 2 loops longer than the distance between prop and rubber hold pin in rear.
Stretch wind the rubber with a winder this will pack the winds on due to gearing and streatching allows greater energy into the rubber (more winds packed tighter)
Reduce weight everywhere you can by cutting holes, using less glue
Use contest balsa rather than the balsa in the kit.
Buy a CF prop (kinda cheating and expensive but wow what a difference)
Or make a prop from balsa larger than the plastic and with greater pitch.
Try different size rubber / props to find the best output.
Pratice launching as a good launch is key to best times.
Have fun but keep in mind weight, drag, lift and thrust are what makes a winner
jamgrah is offline Find More Posts by jamgrah
Old Nov 09, 2005, 08:51 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,233 Posts
I saw in FM the new record....1 hour and more!!!!!! I think 3 minutes and few seconds...but sure, more than 1 hour

Alf
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio