SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2002, 01:29 PM
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
174 Posts
Well, pattern conversions seem to be the fashion at the moment and I've been looking for a suitable glow model/kit/plan to convert for a while now but they all seemed a bit heavy or too big. I've finally found one that fits the bill and it's a model I've been wanting for a while now. Ever since Ripmax brought out the CPR Alliance I've been saying 'why doesn't someone do a decent size one'...well there is one now! I ordered it yesterday and am desperating waiting for it to arrive now. I've got a MaxCim Y I'm going to run on 20 cells and I'm hoping for great performance from this baby. I gues all up weight will come out 1-1.5 lbs heavier with electric kit in it but that's still pretty good. It's a little expensive for a kit but I'm hoping that that will be made up for in the build quality! I's available from Probuild in the uk (www.probuild-uk.co.uk) and I have no connection to them...here are the details off their web page:

Manufacturer: MK

Featuring an all built up structure (yes you have to build it!) which as with all Japenose kits, is a delight to put together, with accuratety cut & machined parts. The model has been designed around the powerful YS 63 four stroke engine, which gives this 58" model a very good power to weight ratio, with the all up weight given by MK as 4 1/2 Ibs!

The model has two fundamental parts to play. For the newcomer to pattern, this model could be used to fly Sportsman / Standard and even Senior schedules and hold its own with ease. Indeed it could even fly the FAI schedule although the natural choice for this is the 2m ZN Line Alliance.

This model could also be used by the pilots all the way up to top class for Winter practice sessions where the reduced engine capacity would serve as a useful economy whilst allowing the pilot to maintain their level. Keep your multi-thousand pound model at home and practice with a model that flies the same, but at a fraction of the price!

Price £195.00
Grant Smith is online now Find More Posts by Grant Smith
Last edited by Grant Smith; May 28, 2003 at 04:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2002, 01:55 PM
Guildford, UK
Joined Oct 2000
230 Posts
I have been looking for such pattern kits to electrify, and came across this:

http://www.hobbynet-jp.com/english/hobbynet.html

They have many kits similar to the one you got, including the MK Alliance, a bit cheaper than from pro-build but you'd have to pay shipping.

I got myself a Seduction 25 from a shop in UK at Sandown for 50 quids. I won't start it for a while, but the quality of the laser cut parts is amazing.
StefV is offline Find More Posts by StefV
Old May 23, 2002, 02:57 PM
Berks, England
Joined Jun 2001
598 Posts
Hi Grant,

Looks very interesting! It's odd you should post that today, as I'd been intending to email you to see how you'd got on with finding a home for the Maxcim. I'm still dithering about the next step up from the Limbo Dancer. Seems like you answered my question before I asked it.

Did you abandon the plan that you found last year?

Good luck with the Alliance - I look forward to the progress reports!

Stuart
stuartaw is offline Find More Posts by stuartaw
Old May 20, 2003, 01:45 AM
Singapore Holland Rd
Joined Mar 2002
1,920 Posts
Hmm Nice! what size prop?
YZYgold is offline Find More Posts by YZYgold
Old May 20, 2003, 06:22 AM
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
174 Posts
Tom at Maxcim recommended a 14x10 on this. Unfortunately the model is still on the bench 3/4 built so I can't report on performance yet.
Old May 28, 2003, 04:25 PM
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
174 Posts
Servo choice for 58" CPLR Alliance

My attention is now returning to this 90% finished plane after renewed enthusiasm from a successful conversion of a 6lb, 58" Acro-Wot that flies with real authority for over 5 minutes on the same setup as I plan for the Alliance with 20 CP1700's.

However, my attention is now turning to what type/spec of servo's I should really be using for a model of this type. There will be one servo per Aileron and one each for the Rudder and Elevator, any suggestions please? (the Acro-Wot has 2.5 Kg SD200's all round and I'm not sure they are really enough)

thanks

Grant
Old May 29, 2003, 07:04 AM
Need more time to fly!
Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
Joined May 2001
91 Posts
I asked a similar question about servos in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=103569 for "Building and Flying a Seduction Freestyle". There are some answers there.

Mark
markrduckworth is offline Find More Posts by markrduckworth
Old May 29, 2003, 08:52 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Grant
Both my 20 cell models (Four Star 40, GReat Planes CAP 232) weighed around 6.5lb and did fine on Hitec HS225 servos - one per aileron, one each rudder and ele. Four Star is over four years old, CAP is three.

rgds

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:48 AM
Joined Feb 2005
42 Posts
all you need iis futaba S9202 will do the job perfect
C140 Brothers is offline Find More Posts by C140 Brothers
Old Jul 28, 2005, 06:54 AM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,156 Posts
Check into the 3102 futaba's. Yes, they're small, same physical size as an HS81/85, but they have the same torque as the HS225's mentioned above, metal gears, and they're lighter. I've used 225's and they worked Ok for a while, but I had failures with them occassionally. I remember replacing one in a plane, then another a month later, then another a couple months after that. I have 3102's that are 3 to 4 years old still going strong. If you up them to 6 volts (6V ubec or 5 cell rx pack) you end up very close to a 9202 in torque, and the 9202's were at one time the standard servo used in 2 meter pattern planes
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Jul 28, 2005, 08:04 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
3102s would be perfect on this model. 1 oz lighter than the 9202 so you save 4 oz on 4 servos. There are plenty of GP Venuses flying with 3102s. I built the Seduction in the above thread and the model was lost we believe to a stripped rudder servo. They were HS85s.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Jul 28, 2005, 08:22 AM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
It's been over 2 years, I wonder what Grant decided on
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Jul 28, 2005, 08:38 AM
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
174 Posts
Well I went for a HS-85's on each aileron, one on each elevator half and a HS-225 on rudder. They've all been fine so far but I haven't really flown the model much as it took me ages to finish it and it turned out I really need a higher voltage, lower capacity Li-Po to make the most of the model.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:58 AM
USA, NY, Chestnut Ridge
Joined Jun 2000
1,694 Posts
Funny, bringing up this old thread. I bought this kit after seeing this and a few other threads about it at the time. I never did anything with it and it's still sitting on my shelf.

-Ben
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:03 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I would ditto the 3102's particularly for a pattern plane. Good centering and no Thermal migration.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople