HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2005, 02:28 AM
Who reversed my ailerons?
Saskatoon,Sk. Canada
Joined Feb 2005
1,123 Posts
Can a toggle switch on my JR XP6102 be replaced with a proportional pot??

I searched around but couldn't find this.

I have Brand new JR XP6102 that I'm using for my helis mostly. I really prefer the click style switches for hover and pitch trim, as opposed ot the dials or knobs on Futaba. However, I want to change one of my Aux switches to a proportional pot so I can use it to adjust the remote gain on my gyro.

I had an old walkera Tx I did this to simply by removing the 2 wire switch and replacing it with a pot. Only my 6102 doesn't have 3 solder points on the circuit board to attach the pot. It only has 2 for the switch.

Is there a way to wire a pot in place of the switch?

I know it worked on my Walkera but is this possible on a JR radio?

Thanks,
Garrett
dgfisher2004 is offline Find More Posts by dgfisher2004
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2005, 05:03 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
you can try connecting the slider and one emnd of the pot to each of the two wires..but if the actual circuitry is not simply an 'analog pot replaced by a switch', and is a binary input, its not gonna work
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 06, 2005, 10:58 AM
Saskatoon,Sk. Canada
Joined Feb 2005
1,123 Posts
That's what I was wondering. I don't know if it's a binary input or analog. And I'm kind of scared to start desoldering my new Tx. Unless I think there is a chance it will work.
Old Nov 06, 2005, 02:00 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,606 Posts
99.999% chance it's not an analog input since this is a computer radio...

dave
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Nov 06, 2005, 04:29 PM
Saskatoon,Sk. Canada
Joined Feb 2005
1,123 Posts
So.....you're saying there is still a 00.001% change this will work.

I don't see why a simple pot couldn't be used. I can use an aux channel as a proportional one simply by adjusting the travel and endpoints of the channel. However I need to do this in my menu so it is rather inconvienient. I just thought there may be a way to proportionalize the travel of that channel and use it to control the remote gain on my gyro.

I suppose it just might not be possible.
Old Nov 06, 2005, 05:14 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
The easy part:
The POT will need to be a 3-wire interface (VRef, Gnd, and Signal). Those connections are not hard to determine if you are experienced at this sort of hack.

The hard part:
Looking at the schematic, the Gear switch goes to an MCU input that is digital I/O only. So the 00.001% chance is looking somewhat optimistic if that is the switch you wanted to hack. However, the Aux switch appears to be using an input that could support analog signals. However, the firmware would need to treat it as such (it is doubtful it is doing that at the moment).

I would suspect that the first step to converting the Aux switch would be to go into the factory service menu of the 6102 to see if it has an entry for POT functionality on the AUX input. There is a 1% chance this sort of menu choice is there, but those are not bad odds.

I don't have the instructions to help you enter the hidden service menu, so you are on your own to find the secrete handshake to get into it. Just keep in mind that mistakes made while in there can really mess up the Tx. The warranty will probably be voided if you mod it, so keep that in mind.

Over the years I have found some nice little Easter Eggs in JR Tx's. So, what you are interested in doing just might be possible. Maybe it will be as simple as just installing a POT, maybe not. The trick is to avoid reducing the radio to a fancy paperweight in the process. Be very careful and be prepared for the worse.

The schematic is attached. Ignore any font errors that may be reported.
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Nov 06, 2005, 05:43 PM
dedal4o
Sofia
Joined Oct 2005
100 Posts
Hi m-r CAM!

Glad to see you! I am reading your www. and happy with that. Thank you for sharing the experience!
dedal4o is offline Find More Posts by dedal4o
Old Nov 06, 2005, 05:52 PM
Saskatoon,Sk. Canada
Joined Feb 2005
1,123 Posts
Who is this guy? Youa sound like you know alot about radios. everything you said had passed through my mind. I would say I am moderately experienced in electronic hacking. And have a barely adequete knowledge of microprocessor programming so I would say treat me like a newbie.

I would suspect that the radio is recognizing and treating the aux channel as an I/O. The travel and offset adjustments function on the set values 0 and 1. So I guess I would have to get the radio to actually recognize the aux as having multiple steps rather than off or on.

I was unaware that Tx had hidden programming menus. Now you have my attention. I have never really hacked a Tx but often contemplated it. Hmmmm...now you have my attention. I'm going to have to fiddle with it now.

What are common ways of unloacking other JR Tx's? Holding a series of buttons when powering on? Or keying in a combination of buttons after power on? Just to get me heading in the right direction.

Thanks alot bud. That was a very informative piece of information.

And thanks for the schematic.

Garrett
Old Nov 06, 2005, 06:04 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,200 Posts
On most JR computer radios the service menu is entered through a series a front panel button presses. I assume that the 6102 is similar. The method is sufficiently difficult that you will never stumble across it by accident. The 6102 may use the same unlock sequence that the older JR models use. The typical key press method has been discussed on this forum and others, so all you have to do is search for it.

An innocent accidental entry, while in the service menu, can affect its operation. Do not enable the service mode if you are not prepared for the worst (one wrong move and you may have to return the Tx to the service center for re-calibration).
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Nov 06, 2005, 06:09 PM
Saskatoon,Sk. Canada
Joined Feb 2005
1,123 Posts
Now I think I'm too scared to try it. I just bought the radio.