HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2005, 07:04 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,707 Posts
Rave
1930 Chris Craft Runabout (upswept)

Thought I would post some pics of my Chris Craft Runabout. The boat is powered with MACK Products' 2500 motor gear-box unit.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2005, 07:10 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Nice looking boat, but the speed dos'nt look quite scale, but it dose run on top, and looks fast.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Nov 05, 2005, 07:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,864 Posts
Oh man!!

That boat is GORGEOUS!!

I love the plaid blanket detail 'touch' in the rear seats.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 05, 2005, 09:49 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
35 Posts
Beautiful!!!
chriscrafter is offline Find More Posts by chriscrafter
Old Nov 06, 2005, 05:07 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,789 Posts
That looks AWESOME!!! How much run time do you get with the 2500? what type of batteries are you using and how about the prop? (So many questions!)

I have this kit sitting on the shelf, waiting its turn. In the instructions in the section regarding power, Dumas says something about their power reccomendation being adequate to provide 'scale' performace similar to a boat that is 50+ years old... I didn't like the sound of that. A well maintained boat should run like the day it was new and these boats were fast!

Nice Job!!!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 09, 2005, 12:42 PM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
Thought I would post some pics of my Chris Craft Runabout. The boat is powered with MACK Products' 2500 motor gear-box unit.
Very nicely done -- a fine build!

I'm also interested in your powertrain details, as I may want to mess with my '38 Triple-Cockpit Barrelback's powertrain at some point...

What other departures did you make from the standard kit?
rallison is offline Find More Posts by rallison
Old Nov 09, 2005, 12:53 PM
Western PA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded

I have this kit sitting on the shelf, waiting its turn. In the instructions in the section regarding power, Dumas says something about their power reccomendation being adequate to provide 'scale' performace similar to a boat that is 50+ years old... I didn't like the sound of that. A well maintained boat should run like the day it was new and these boats were fast!

Aerominded,

I think Dumas is referring to the speed expectations for boats of that era, not for 'old boats'.

Production runabouts of this vintage had semi-displacement hulls and did not plane on the water like modern boats, so speeds were somewhat limited. I think the swept-deck model had a top speed of around 35mph or so.

With that said, my experience with my own Dumas runabout, and exposure to other's, does indicate that a little bit more power and a slightly more agressive prop will improve speed and ride while maintaining a believable scale boating experience.

- Rick
rallison is offline Find More Posts by rallison
Old Nov 13, 2005, 08:58 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,707 Posts
This is in answer to AEROMINDED and RALLISON's questions about my model of the 1930 UPSWEPT CHRIS CRAFT runnabout. First some back round on the real 1930 runnabout. The 1930 Chris Craft 24' runnabout model 103 was powered with a CHRYSLER 125 horsepower Model LM engine. Top speed on the restored version of this boat gave a top speed of 38 mph. CHRIS CRAFT did offer engine options for the various models which could be purchased which would up the top speed to 45mph. Information can be found in the book by Anthony Mollica Jr. & Jack Savage "CHRIS CRAFT BOATS" at www.motorbooks.com. As for my model , it started with a DUMAS kit of a 1930 runnabout. Knowing that I wanted to make it as realistic as possible and also have sound effects as well as lighting I had to make provisions for wiring, speaker, batteries and the such and still matain the balance of the model so as to have it run right. For power I selected the M.A.C.K. model #2500-2515 unit with the Astroflight speed control #7110, along with using all M.A.C.K. running hardware instead of the DUMAS supplied hardware. The boat has operating running lights as well as cockpit lights and the dash board gages also lightup. There also is a working horn viva a speaker mounted under the front deck. For power the boat has 12 "D" size NI-cads netting 14 volts at 5 amps for fuel. I can run at full power for about 20 minutes and cruise at throttle for about 1 hour. The propeller I am using is a DUMAS 1 3/4" 3 blade bronze prop. All the products were bought from M.A.C.K. at www.mackproductsrc.com. Hope this helps, it was a great build the only thing I would change would be using balsa instead of the plywood for the sub -planking to make the boat lighter.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Last edited by frankg; Oct 12, 2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 08:52 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,789 Posts
Thanks Frankg and Rallison!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded