HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2005, 11:01 PM
Kansas
Joined Sep 2003
1,291 Posts
Tanic (rip off) I mean knock off packs

Does any one have any info on these packs?
I came across them tonight they sure look familiar to me.

Brian
RC Toys USA is offline Find More Posts by RC Toys USA
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2005, 12:34 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Do you think someone is re-branding your packs Brian?

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Nov 05, 2005, 12:54 AM
Kansas
Joined Sep 2003
1,291 Posts
not sure yet
Old Nov 05, 2005, 08:00 AM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
Imitation is the surest form of flattery or something like that

Hopefully they cant imitate your customer service.

Herm
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Nov 05, 2005, 09:21 AM
holderness n.h.
Joined Nov 2004
10 Posts
brian that looks just like the tanic taps that i got,i have the white label that you put on your batterys.where did you see that one? seems like someone is tring to make a doller.
the bob is offline Find More Posts by the bob
Old Nov 05, 2005, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Brian,

Have you dissassembled the packs and looked at the SNs stamped on the cells? That's how the common identities of two other ostensibly different packs was discovered:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=1

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Nov 05, 2005, 09:52 AM
Kansas
Joined Sep 2003
1,291 Posts
no I have not physically even seen a pack yet I will get one soon to see
I found out the US distributor I probably cannot say who because of a competition rule but one of you can. ( it rymes with "TWIG)

Brian
Old Nov 05, 2005, 10:07 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Brian,

I have seen several LiPo calls lately with no printed ID of any kind on them. Let me know if I can supply comparative CBA graphs - your cells overlaid on the unknowns.

- RD
Old Nov 05, 2005, 10:22 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,946 Posts
http://www.hobbyworx.com/Pdfs/Akula_D_Announcement.pdf
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 05, 2005, 10:22 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,930 Posts
Knockoff, ripoff .. Call it what you want but I like how Tanic does it's taps and wish they'd all follow suit.

I'm seriously considering buying individual ProLite cells and building my own packs from now on just so I can have the best of both worlds.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Nov 05, 2005, 10:34 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
... I'm seriously considering buying individual ProLite cells and building my own packs from now on just so I can have the best of both worlds.

Pete
Pete, you can't buy individual cells of that brand. There was one post awhile ago that implied the idea was under consideration by their marketing people, but nothing since, that I know of.

- RD
Old Nov 05, 2005, 11:05 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Blakeslee
Pete, you can't buy individual cells of that brand. There was one post awhile ago that implied the idea was under consideration by their marketing people, but nothing since, that I know of.
Then I guess that leaves modifying pre-built packs; that or just biting my tongue and accepting those pigtails.

And I suppose an explanation is in order: I don't mean to insinuate that Tanic packs are inferior or unacceptable, however I have several planes which demand the TP form factor and weight and to modify them to use anything else would involve reconstruction beyond a point which I'm willing to go.

This hobby of ours really is a study in compromise, isn't it?

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Nov 05, 2005, 02:47 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Now why would then when they can make premium prices by selling packs. They might also state its a QC thing as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Blakeslee

- RD
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 05, 2005, 03:56 PM
Modeller Dilettante
Vancouver
Joined Sep 2005
422 Posts
Sort of an academic point here...

I'm fairly new to R/C and I only have a few lipos, but I did a lot of research before deciding on which ones to use. I chose Tanic packs - I chose them precisely because of the straightforward taps system they use (as well as Tanic's good reputation). I'll keep buying Tanic, not the knock offs, but I'm curious about what constitutes a "knock off" and what doesn't. I mean, the taps concept surely isn't an invention of Tanic - the only thing uique about them is that the taps are JST connectors and perhaps the arrangement of the taps inside the shrink wrap.

Suppose a company made packs and connected a female JST to each cell, called them taps, and advertised that they were for balancing the cells. Sounds familiar, right? Is this a case of "ripping off" Tanic? Would Tanic be upset about this situation? Does the JST taps concept fall under intellectual property rights of some kind? (I'm not asking about a company buying Tanic packs and then putting their own labels on them.) Like a lot of people, I think the R/C battery industry could use some more standardization - my preference would be that it standardizes to the format set by Tanic. But if so, will the first few who do so be Tanic "knock offs"?
markusj is offline Find More Posts by markusj
Old Nov 05, 2005, 06:10 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,760 Posts
Poly Quest knock off ?

.5mm rubber protective sheath for added protection during crashes
Lightweight shock pad cap
PCM Guard charge harness - allows you to charge and balance each cell within the pack when used with the optional Hyperion EOS LBA 6 Balance Adapter, greatly increasing safety and pack cycle life

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1940

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 06, 2005 at 12:14 PM.